Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Who are the best college wrestlers ever?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

Dake in there now?

AWN editor Ron Good doing something for May issue, asking various wrestling writers who their TOP 5 all-time college wrestlers, thats a big statement to be named top 5. The next 5 or 10 or even 15 wrestlers left off are mindblowers.

Names are rolling in to Ron, there seems pretty much a consensus actually from the savvy oldtimers. Guys like Jay Hammond, The Historian, he goes way back, has written books. -- i was not far off theres, but i left off a couple ive only heard of in legend---fyi mine were:

Cael, Dake, Mark Schultz, Lee Kemp & Wade Schalles. No Gable and from what Ron says about selections hes receiving, Gable aint gonna make it either.

this is College only, and YOURS are ???

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

I'll show a bit of my ignorance to the history of NCAA legends but...

1) Cael Sanderson (ISU)
2) Hasselrigg (UPJ)
3) Kyle Dake (Cornell)
4) Lee Kemp (WISC)
5) Tommy Rowlands (tOSU) (did you really think my list WOULDN'T have him on it!?!?!)

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

In alphabetical order; Dake, Gable, Kemp, Sanderson, and Pat Smith.

Friggin Pat Smith!!!!!! Of course.

Well, I'm not altering my list to fit him in. You can forget that!!!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

Quote from Steve Durose's post:

"In alphabetical order; Dake, Gable, Kemp, Sanderson, and Pat Smith."

I like that list. I also have trouble getting Dake out of my head as #1.

Not undefeated but no shirt, either.

Wreslted in weights that are usually a lot deeper than 184 and 197 where Cael was.

Crushed Molinaro who the next year crushed everyone else.

Dominated DSJ last year whom he gifted a title to this year by moving up when reports were that 157 wouldn't have been much of a cut.

And moved to a weight with a much deeper and higher level of talent than 157. . .to wrestle a returning National Champ. Not uncommon for some wrestlers to move away from a returning champ (although moreso in high school).

The four in four weights, while novel, actually isn't that dispositive for me simply because some of that depends on growth, timing, other wrestlers, etc.

I hope he and Burroughs wrestle sometime this summer. They could have wars in the next few years.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

And an Ivy League degree.

When we narrow it to 5, we are REALLY, REALLY leaving off some greats... McIllravy, Kolat, Schlatter (of the Dustin sort), Brands x2, Milkovich (of any sort), John Smith, and I'm sure there are a dozen or so more who have solidified their names as "greats" among our sport.

Man... Killer topic!

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

I could be wrong on this but wasn't Abas a 3X champ and 4X finalist? How has he not been mentioned?

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

Does anyone have more NCAA titles than hasselrig(6)

1. Hasselrig
2. John smith
3. Carl Sanderson
4. Dake
5. Pat smith

I think John smith wins in any era at least twice,

For what it is worth u guys had a great year posting, comments and insight kept me checking in daily, thanks for all the info.

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

What Dake did was unbelievably impressive. You cannot argue against his accomplishments.

However, I have hard time putting him in the top 5 simply because I do not believe he could beat guys like McIllravy, Joe Williams, Alan Fried, Burroughs, etc. His name and previous accomplishments are the lone reason he was never called for stalling. He is a leech, a great rider, but you have to try to turn someone! Jim Humphrey and I had this discussion Saturday night.

Top 5 is Smith, Cael, McIllravy, Abas, Haselrig.

I believe that Logan will end up being the most decorated wrestler of all time when it is all said and done. Kid is going to win World and Olypmic titlesssssssss.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

He beat Taylor three times, and Taylor is the definition of dominant. Dake is on the very, very, very top tier. I call him top 2, but in reality it's impossible to rank the top guys from different eras.

Taylor is so, so impressive... he makes pinning and tech-falling All-Americans look like some trivial matter. You really can't get more dominant that Taylor. And Dake beat him three times this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

Yojiro Uetake, Okie State---Undefeated in three years of competition plus Olympic Gold while still in college. Also won Gold again in 1968.

Cael Sanderson--four years of perfect plus dominance.

Bruce Baumgartner--Won one NCAA title while competing for Indiana State (whose other best known wrestler is probably Jack Effner) then moved onto an international career where he finished top three in the world for 13 out of 14 seasons including a medal in four Olympics.

Lee Kemp--A disputed official's call away from being the first four timer. Faced the equivalent of 3-4 "Tony Ramos" type opponents every year. Three World titles plus the favorite to win Olympic Gold during the boycotted 1980 campaign.

John Smith--By his senior season, he was as great a wrestler as there ever was at the collegiate level. In my opinion, he is the best American international competitor of all time. I consider Smith to be the finest wrestler I've ever watched.

Hon. Mention: Gable, Dake, Greg Jones, Stephen Abas, Eric Guerrero, Joe Williams, Jordan Burroughs, Tom Brands, Dave Schultz and Cary Kolat among others.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"...

Hon. Mention: Gable, Dake, Greg Jones, Stephen Abas, Eric Guerrero, Joe Williams, Jordan Burroughs, Tom Brands, Dave Schultz and Cary Kolat among others."

No, none taken, Hank. None at all. ;-)

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 26, 2013

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"He beat Taylor three times, and Taylor is the definition of dominant. Dake is on the very, very, very top tier. I call him top 2, but in reality it's impossible to rank the top guys from different eras.

Taylor is so, so impressive... he makes pinning and tech-falling All-Americans look like some trivial matter. You really can't get more dominant that Taylor. And Dake beat him three times this year."

Yup, think about who Dake has beaten....

Montel Marion : 2x finalist, 3xAA
Frank Molinaro : 2x finalist, 4xAA, NCAA champ
Derek St John : 2x finalist, 3xAA, NCAA champ (and counting)
David Taylor : 3x finalist, 3xAA, NCAA champ (and counting)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 27, 2013

I think that what Pat Smith, Cael Sanderson and Kyle Dake have accomplished is amazing and deserve recognition for being the firsts that they are (were), but that doesn't necessarily make them the best of all time. It makes them have the best careers of all time. In my mind that's different. When you start talking about "Greatest of All Time", you have to differentiate between stats and skills. Is it who achieved the most, or who performed their craft at the highest level while competing?

Take Ohio high school...Before this crop of outstanding wrestlers came through (particularly David Taylor and Logan Stieber) the best wrestler I ever saw in Ohio was Alan Fried. Now he "only" won three titles. None of us would say that Willie Wineberg or Dan Hanson was better than Fried, at least I hope not, even though they won more titles.

With that in mind, the best college wretler I have ever watched was John Smith his senior season. From the recent era, Burroughs and Sanderson would probably make my list. The final two spots would be tough, maybe Yojiro Uetake and Lee Kemp.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next