Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Brakeman Report Discontinued
Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

A NOTE FROM BRIAN BRAKEMAN

After more than 40 years and well over 3,000 pages, it seems time to draw the curtain on the Brakeman Report. It has been a labor of (mostly) love, but its objective from the start--identifying and forecasting the participants in the state meet--has been rendered unnecessary by the explosion of data and data analysts on the Internet. It is a decision, I make with some misgivings since I have always enjoyed the process which lead up to the report. Still, it will now be the first January since 1971 that I will be able to really enjoy without the specter of hard-to-make deadlines.

It has been a privilege to work with the various constituencies within the wrestling community which I hope to maintain in the future. I would like to thank all the folks who have given me so much help over the years, particularly the three principal typists--the late Arnetta Moore, the superstar for over two decades, Kim (Fiftyfingers) Manning, and my own first cousin, the long suffering Nancy Dimitris. And, in addition, I truly have appreciated all my readers and the many comments (both positive and negative) that they have so often provided.

Jerry Des Forges
GCWCOA Secretary

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Wow!

Ohio wrestling owes Brakeman a debt of gratitude. I remember when I was in HS in the mid-90s The Brakeman coming out was second only to Christmas.

I also think you could say that he paved the way for internet wrestling journalism.

If Brian reads this site - thank you!

John DiJulius added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Thanks Brian for all the hard work & hours you gave to this sport and educating all of us fans. The Brakeman report was the bible for following the state wrestling championship.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"Thanks Brian for all the hard work & hours you gave to this sport and educating all of us fans. The Brakeman report was the bible for following the state wrestling championship."

Before there was an internet, all we had were shoeboxes filled with newspaper results and The Brakeman.

It was not only a remarkable piece of published research--given the constraints of that era--but a genuinely great read. There has certainly never been anything like it that I've seen anywhere else.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Truly the end of an era. I love all the Internet chatter and discussion and I think there are some great rankings out there, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad to hear this news. I wish it would have gone one more year or he would've told us last year that he was done. I would have taken some extra time to enjoy it. That first day when Brakeman comes out, that first read is always something I look forward to, and have since 1987. I have a copy of every report going back to '71 and I read through them from time to time, but it's never like that first read through.

Thank you Mr. Brakeman for decades of great work. It has been more appreciated than you know.

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Thank you Mr. Brakeman for all the years you have put in. It was always a proud moment to get mentioned for all of us wrestlers.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Brian,

on your retirement from the Brakeman Report, congrats on 40 years of giving Ohio fans, coaches & wrestlers something to debate-- pre-internet when good info was often hard to come by.

The report was quite an undertaking, at times it must have driven you mad with boxes full of coffee-stained brackets, sometimes illegible results & notes on napkins; with papers all laid out over the floor in your "war room". No emails, no websites to refer to back then.

Ohio wrestling is grateful. The end of an era, a good end. s/BobPreusse

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

WOW! I guess I should have anticipated this work would eventually come to an end, but like loosing a loved-one, you're never quite ready for it. I remember the hand typed reports as a kid and being thrilled to see my own name mentioned in the report the 1st time I was eligible as a HS freshman.

As cool as it was to get to hang out with the Jordans or the Dernlans as a kid, it was cool to be recognized by Brian. The latest copy was always available at the Garage in West Liberty and we would all leaf through to see who made it on to the report and who the competition was that we were after. The world was so different then. We knew the common guys that went to all of the summer tournaments and the guys in our leagues, but otherwise we just didn't know who was out there without reading Brian's report.

Brian, thank you. I have always loved your work. I am going to fondly remember the reports of the good old days that went through the typewriter as they are most visceral to me. Your reports were always fantastic and amazingly accurate. IMO, you are an Ohio wrestling legend and should be recognized as such. Your report will be missed, and I wish only the best for you. Rest this January and set back and enjoy the rest of the season.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2013

Did He rank you???

1996: D-I, 140lbs. #19 (Albeit, a misspelled last name, but that's okay.)

VIVA! Lord Brakeman!!!

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on January 21, 2013

Someone once said "We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge." The Brakeman report provided that knowledge.

Thanks for the hard work over the years.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 21, 2013

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"Someone once said "We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge." The Brakeman report provided that knowledge.

Thanks for the hard work over the years."

I like that quote, Leo. So true.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 21, 2013

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Truly the end of an era. I love all the Internet chatter and discussion and I think there are some great rankings out there, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad to hear this news. I wish it would have gone one more year or he would've told us last year that he was done. I would have taken some extra time to enjoy it. That first day when Brakeman comes out, that first read is always something I look forward to, and have since 1987. I have a copy of every report going back to '71 and I read through them from time to time, but it's never like that first read through.

Thank you Mr. Brakeman for decades of great work. It has been more appreciated than you know."

Great comments. Could never put it down when it first came out.

Fair, honest, researched, witty. . .iconic.

And thank you very much.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 23, 2013

In light of all this praise for Brian Brakeman, I'd like to point out that one of the reasons his report is less necessary (though greatly missed) is the presence of a worthy successor--Josh Lowe.

Over the last decade, Lowe has distinguished himself as arguably the pre-eminent wrestling ranker on the national high school level. Not only does he maintain an unbiased approach but he does a remarkable job of sifting through the data of conflicting results and offering sensible, defensible rankings both on an individual and team level. His writing is lucid and crisp which enhances his stature in my eyes.

Ohio has proven to be a remarkably fertile spot for wrestling journalism when you consider the other fine writers that have become nationally prominent such as Bob Preusse, Dan Fickel, Jim Kalin and even entrepreneurial sorts like Dan Cosimi and Justin Kerr.

We are not only a great wrestling state; we are arguably the best state for wrestling journalism.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 23, 2013

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Did He rank you???

1996: D-I, 140lbs. #19 (Albeit, a misspelled last name, but that's okay.)

VIVA! Lord Brakeman!!!"

I remeber my freshman year my coach had me in his office and told me about the Brakeman and then showed me it and it was so cool to see my name in there.

93 DIII 103 #6
94 DIII 112 #3
95 DIII 130 #6
96 DIII 135 #1

I also remeber when I coached and how excited the kids got when this came out and had them printed out and pass them around the team.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 23, 2013

and in 1996 Brakeman was right, Jim Kessen of Lima Central Catholic state champ div 3 at 135 lbs.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next