Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Northwestern at Cleveland State: Observations on the dual
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 20, 2009

I just watched most of the NW- CSU dual on flo and had a few thoughts.

141- I have been a Mike Mencini fan for a few years. That being said, he did the least you could have expected in this match. He won, but without a standard takedown. He had one pancake and a counter. He needs to initiate more offense from netural. And this was against a 125 pounder wrestling 141. He used his size intelligently, but needs some more basic technique. I think he can be good, but is still rough around the edges. He had a very nice tilt early in the match, and uses his hips quite well.

157- Carlo moves well from neutral and gets in nicely, but just hits and stops. He needs to keep his feet moving on those shots. He could have won this match, but got majored- that big of a difference.

165- Michaels looks great- but gave away a major. With the clock winding low and a 12-4 lead after a reversal to backs, he cut Kellogg loose, surrendering the major. You have to be aware of that. Other than that, no complains. Kellogg's takedown was an arm spin out of a Michaels body lock- credit him for a great move. Other than that, Michaels dominated the match from both neutral and top, the whole first period being a quick takedown and then 2:53 of riding time. He looks to have a big year. Remember, Kellogg was 12-14 last year as a RS Frosh, so he isn't a pushover.

174- Good match all around. Roddy looked to get the better of just about all the action, but Effner kept in the match with experience and savvy. Watch this match on flo- good technique all around. Roddy had a good scramble in the first, but Effner finished the takedown before surrendering a reversal just before the buzzer on a great move by Roddy. Roddy's third period takedown, ultimately the winner, was awesome too. Good solid wrestling by both guys and a big win for Roddy.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Northwestern at Cleveland State: Observations on the dual
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 20, 2009

Another thing- I think some things in Mencini's match come down to coaching. He had a huge size advantage, and when he got on top, he hit a nice tilt. Off a restart soon after, he let Joyce go immediately. This was a spot where he could use his size advantage and had already gotten backs. He should have pressured from top and worn Joyce out, even getting another tilt possibly, but he surrendered the advantageous position.

I also felt Michaels' mistake in giving away the major he had locked up comes down from coaching.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion