Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: 2023-24 Ohio State Buckeyes
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Brady, did you watch Starocci's post-match interviews? I came away with the impression he's unlikely to come back, which was very surprising to me.

Says he'll take his time to decide but he plans on winning the Olympics and doing MMA. Now, if he doesn't make the Olympic team (and making the team would mean beating Dake/Burroughs or Taylor), will that alter his plans? Time will tell.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

A transfer will ideally plug 125 for a year or two, but I don’t see it happening. You’re only bringing in someone who you are confident will contend for All-American. The number of those guys who want to leave their current situation is very small.

Bucks should make a run at Shane Griffith. There’s a need at 165 if Kharchla moves up or if he retires. He won’t come cheap.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

All good thoughts. Some big decisions need to be made with regard to next year's lineup.

125 - Do you go for a transfer here? We don't have visibility yet into who might be available, but Gonzales took a big step backward this year (don't know why), and I don't see Kilkeary as a plug and play freshman.

133 - Bouzakis is too good to sit the bench, but Mendez is probably your best option if you're only worried about the team race. I'd guess Mendez redshirts.

141 - Do you trust Decatur to man the weight for a full season? I think D'Emilio and Sasso are both moving up. Also think Mendez probably needs a year to grow into 141.

149 - D'Emilio

157 - Sasso

165 - Probably Hepner. If Paddy can't beat Hepner (I don't think he will), not sure what happens with him.

174 - Does Carson want to come back? I wouldn't be surprised either way, but if he doesn't, I think you try to go with Hepner here and let Paddy fill 165. I would redshirt Welsh unless he's AA caliber right away, which would be tough at this weight.

184 - Can Geog get down here? Him dropping would go against their "let him get big and stay physical" philosophy, but he's better than Shumate at the moment.

197 - I assume Hoffman will be back. He is who he is... not the most exciting option but he'll be competitive.

285 - Obviously Feldman. Hoping he has a big summer after too much time off the mat this year.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

I'm tryig to figure out how much eligibility these covid guys have left.

D'Emilio - 2
Decatur - 1 (or 2, if he had a medical redshirt)
Hepner - 3?
Hoffman - 1
Karchla - 3?
Sasso - 1
Wilcox - 2

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"I'm tryig to figure out how much eligibility these covid guys have left.

D'Emilio - 2
Decatur - 1 (or 2, if he had a medical redshirt)
Hepner - 3?
Hoffman - 1
Karchla - 3?
Sasso - 1
Wilcox - 2"

I believe Kharchla has 2, same with Decatur. Otherwise agreed.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

I believe Kharchla has 2, same with Decatur. Otherwise agreed."

I'm not sure.

Decatur has competed 4 years, he has no regular redshirt. I'm not sure if one of those 4 years he got a medical redshirt. if so he has 2 years left.

Carson, according to the osu site, redshirted in 19-20 and has no record for 20-21. Did he get a medical redshirt for 20-21? if so, he has 3 years left.

or do medical redshirts not count when adding in the extra covid year??

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Brady, did you watch Starocci's post-match interviews? I came away with the impression he's unlikely to come back, which was very surprising to me."

I did. It left me with the impression that I'd be surprised if he didn't come back next year for a run at #4. I'd be very surprised if he came back for a run at #5 -- but NIL $ could change that.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on March 20, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

"

"

I'm not sure.

Decatur has competed 4 years, he has no regular redshirt. I'm not sure if one of those 4 years he got a medical redshirt. if so he has 2 years left.

Carson, according to the osu site, redshirted in 19-20 and has no record for 20-21. Did he get a medical redshirt for 20-21? if so, he has 3 years left.

or do medical redshirts not count when adding in the extra covid year??"

I don't believe you get granted a med RS until after you have "finished" competing then it gets decided if you do or don't. Not positive but I think that's how it works. In his case, he didn't compete one year because of injury so I assume it'd get granted.

I think he's back for at least one more year -- and I'd guess he moves up to 174. He's one thick dude.

I have no idea about middle weights but I could see NB go 133, Mendez takes a RS or OlyRS with 141-157 being some combination of DD, SS, ?? or J.D., DD, SS. Jesse isn't the biggest 133 but he's young, growing, and has the frame to move up. Taking a RS year also allows him, NB, and NF to all exhaust their eligibility the same year -- and I think that is the year the NCAA's come to Ohio correct?

"

"

I'm not sure.

or do medical redshirts not count when adding in the extra covid year??"

Carson competed this year and last year, both of which "counted," so he has 2 years left. 2021 didn't give people an extra year of eligibility to use whenever they want... it just didn't count at all, so it doesn't really matter what he did that year (when he was hurt).

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 23, 2023

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpvxy5-ujMK/
Good to see Feldman working out based off the sweat soaked shirt

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmVb8p1OVm1/
Looks like Snyder was back in town working out with the team.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 23, 2023

One thing that I think is great about the Ohio State program is the success they've had pushing wrestlers through to all-American status before their careers were over. I think back to Colt Sponseller and Kenny Courts, who can proudly state that they are all-Americans. At the time I wasn't sure they were going to accomplish that goal, but they did. More recently, Gavin Hoffman and Dylan D'emilio broke through. In that photo of the 9 NCAA competitors, 8 are all-Americans. Only Gallagher is not but he still has 3 more years.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 23, 2023

Nice to see Noah is as tall if not a little taller than KS.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 23, 2023

Nick?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next