Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Pick The Big Ten Tournament Champions
Mike Vash added to this discussion on March 8, 2014

125 megadulis
133 ramos
141 stieber
149 dardanes
157 jordan
165 taylor
174 evans
184 ruth
197 mcintosh
285 nelson

penn state by 7

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 8, 2014

Finally, a couple of other folks picked Evans ;-)

I've been enjoying everyone's picks. The great thing about the B1G tournament is that there is a legit argument for all of the different picks you guys have posted. It is almost as fun to watch this tournament play out as the NCAAs.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 8, 2014

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"125- Megaludis
133- Ramos
141- Stieber
149- T-shirts
157- Green
165- Taylor
174- Brown
184- Ruth
197- McIntosh
285- McMullen"

Pat: Give me a team champion and victory margin."

PSU by 10.5

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 9, 2014

I wanted to thank everyone for joining in on the fun and taking a shot at guessing the winners in Big Ten Championships.

We had 2 people guess 8 of the 10 classes correct!

1)Tony Brunetti - Picked PSU by 7, and they won by 5.5. He is our winner. - His only misses were Ness and Brown.
2) Steve Dureose - Picked PSU by 16. - Only misses were Megaludis and McIntosh.

We had 6 guys guess 7 winners.
3) Brad Proudfoot (PSU by 7)
4Tie ) Pat Altvater (PSU by 8)
4Tie ) John Ice (PSU by 8)
6) Bob Govsng (PSU by 11)
7)_Brian grimm (PSU by 20)
8)Kyle Klatz (Minn by 2.5)

I did not claculate the tie-breakers for the rest.

The following guys were at 6 winners.
Jason Jaackson
Jason Fair
Chris Thomas
Roe Fox
Ethan Moore
Tim Rudnick
Andrew Waldron
Pat Costilow
Sean Koran
Denny Pool

The following guys were at 5 winners.
Rick Wasmer
Hank Kornblut
Patrick Campbell
Mark Cummings
Bruce Andrews
John Robert Dula
Mike Vash

The following guys were at 4 winners.
M-Rod
Cory Surles
Freddy Carr

Kyle Klotz added to this discussion on March 9, 2014

"I wanted to thank everyone for joining in on the fun and taking a shot at guessing the winners in Big Ten Championships.

We had 2 people guess 8 of the 10 classes correct!

1)Tony Brunetti - Picked PSU by 7, and they won by 5.5. He is our winner. - His only misses were Ness and Brown.
2) Steve Dureose - Picked PSU by 16. - Only misses were Megaludis and McIntosh.

We had 6 guys guess 7 winners.
3) Brad Proudfoot (PSU by 7)
4Tie ) Pat Altvater (PSU by 8)
4Tie ) John Ice (PSU by 8)
6) Bob Govsng (PSU by 11)
7)_Brian grimm (PSU by 20)
8)Kyle Klatz (Minn by 2.5)

I did not claculate the tie-breakers for the rest.

The following guys were at 6 winners.
Jason Jaackson
Jason Fair
Chris Thomas
Roe Fox
Ethan Moore
Tim Rudnick
Andrew Waldron
Pat Costilow
Sean Koran
Denny Pool

The following guys were at 5 winners.
Rick Wasmer
Hank Kornblut
Patrick Campbell
Mark Cummings
Bruce Andrews
John Robert Dula
Mike Vash

The following guys were at 4 winners.
M-Rod
Cory Surles
Freddy Carr"

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 9, 2014

I just want to point out that we are all ashamed of Michael Rodriguez and his paltry four champions. The only person that had a worse weekend is Adam Coon.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 9, 2014

psssst: Mike - Paltry —adjective, pal·tri·er, pal·tri·est.

ridiculously or insultingly small: a paltry sum.
utterly worthless.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

I deserved to lose for not picking Heflin. I did have all ten in the finals though.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

Please note that many of the guys who did well at picking champs don't post that often. The "loud mouths" such as myself had more pedestrian performances.

As to Mike R, he's an outlier.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

"I just want to point out that we are all ashamed of Michael Rodriguez and his paltry four champions. The only person that had a worse weekend is Adam Coon."

I wasn't kidding when I said this:

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"For the record, this pretty much dooms the hopes of all the above mentioned wrestlers. I am notoriously crappy at making picks."

It was a great weekend of wrestling, some thoughts:

I didn't like the way Delgado wrestled and won. Either I don't understand the rules (very possible) or they need to be tweaked (likely) or the officials need to be more clear and consistant about keeping bouts agressive and offensive (definately). BTW, very quietly, Ryan Taylor has had an excellent seasona and looks to be an All American contender right now.

I don't understand how a wrestler as good as Graff can't beat Ramos. I've always liked and respected Iowa, but for some reason, I don't want to see Ramos win a title. If he does, I think he'll beat a better wrestler than he is to do it.

Stieber showed the first match was just a perfect storm of circumstances and this bout was a true indicator of the distance between these two wrestlers...and I think Retherford is the clear #2 guy in the weight. I know it won't happen, but like I said on the other thread, I'd like to see the seeding go:

#1 Port
#2 Stieber
#3 Carter
#4 Retherford

The only people who wouldn't be happy with that seeding are from Edinboro.

149 and 157 are just a mess, but what an awesome mess to watch unfold at NCAAs.

David Taylor did what David Taylor does. The standing granby to the takedown was a particularly high point. I get he's amazing, but it just me or has he been in "thin weights" for four years, or is he just one of the best wrestlers of all time? I can't quite tell. It seems like when he went up against a real horse like Dake or even Bubba Jenkins, he lost. Then he just destroys everyone else. I can't get a clear read on how good "everyone else" is.

174 is like this lost weight class, where there's tons of talent that's all very evenly matched, but then there's the long shadow cast by Andrew Howe...who'll beat whoever makes the finals, 3-2.

Ed Ruth is one of the All Time greats, and for some reason, I don't feel like he's been at "thin weights"...double standard or fair assessment???

To a lesser extent obviously, I look at Heflin's win like Delgado's. It's effective, and I don't blame Heflin for using that stratigy, but I'm with Coach Sanderson on the refs "making our sport boring". I hope the seeds pan out in a way that let's the best two wrestlers make the finals and that both of them actually want to wrestle when they get there.

Heavyweight was the same issue as 125 and 174 (although 125 was the worst, IMO).

All in all a great weekend of wrestling and a solid Big Ten Tourney for the Buckeyes. The "wait till next year" slogan might actually turn out to be true this time. They have a solid core of proven athletes and a fantastic group of young tatlent coming off redshirt and into their true freshmen seasons. They'll also have significantly more depth when the inevitable injuries hit. 2015 looks like a very good year to be an Ohio State fan.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

I was just trying to be funny, not a jerk btw.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

"

I look at Heflin's win like Delgado's. It's effective, and I don't blame Heflin for using that strategy, but I'm with Coach Sanderson on the refs "making our sport boring". I hope the seeds pan out in a way that let's the best two wrestlers make the finals and that both of them actually want to wrestle when they get there.

2015 looks like a very good year to be an Ohio State fan."

It has seemed to me that big matches at the end of the year have always placed a high premium on defensive stands, and don't make a mistake wrestling. There is usually just enough head and arm grabbing so that the refs aren't demanded to call stalling. - Frankly, this is the style that Nick is the best at. - He has been doing it consistently and mostly successfully for 4 years. - The heavier weights have always had some tendacies to be that way.

I thought that this was a great win for Nick. It is also a good style to approach the National Championship. Nick is capable of making a big move, but it is more important that he doesn't make the big mistake. This should allow him to get a decent seed, also.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

"I was just trying to be funny, not a jerk btw."

I know, and I thought it was funny.

"It has seemed to me that big matches at the end of the year have always placed a high premium on defensive stands, and don't make a mistake wrestling. There is usually just enough head and arm grabbing so that the refs aren't demanded to call stalling. - Frankly, this is the style that Nick is the best at. - He has been doing it consistently and mostly successfully for 4 years. - The heavier weights have always had some tendacies to be that way..."

I agree, I just wish it wasn't that way.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 10, 2014

"David Taylor did what David Taylor does. The standing granby to the takedown was a particularly high point. I get he's amazing, but it just me or has he been in "thin weights" for four years, or is he just one of the best wrestlers of all time? I can't quite tell. It seems like when he went up against a real horse like Dake or even Bubba Jenkins, he lost. Then he just destroys everyone else. I can't get a clear read on how good "everyone else" is.

174 is like this lost weight class, where there's tons of talent that's all very evenly matched, but then there's the long shadow cast by Andrew Howe...who'll beat whoever makes the finals, 3-2.

Ed Ruth is one of the All Time greats, and for some reason, I don't feel like he's been at "thin weights"...double standard or fair assessment??"

Taylor's weight's seem "thin" compared to him. Caldwell lost to Burroughs only 2-0 in conference finals and beat Howe in semis. Taylor steam rolls him. Taylor mashed St. Johns, Evans, Fittery, etc. Some great, great wrestlers. Bubba was a true, excellent move / got caught situation. Dake was just better -- and I'd still rather watch Taylor any day of the week.

Howe just lost to Perry. Perry is #1 seed. Ruth is all time great but he hasn't exactly beaten guys considered all time greats either. I think they just look so far behind him because of his greatness, not their lack thereof. I'm really looking forward to seeing him wrestle Dean. I remember a match his freshman year where he just drilled Lewnes from Cornell. Taylor said in an interview, "THAT is what a focused Ed Ruth looks like." I hope to see that focus again because it is a beautiful sight to behold.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3