Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Not wrestling related, but...
Quinn McGee added to this discussion on August 10, 2013

I'm asking this because I really don't know the answer. If a kid is not on scholorship, would he also get in trouble for this?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 10, 2013

Quote from Quinn McGee's post:

"I'm asking this because I really don't know the answer. If a kid is not on scholorship, would he also get in trouble for this?"

Currently, yes. I do believe so.

However, if a kid isn't on scholarship, what are the chances people are "making it happen"?

Quinn McGee added to this discussion on August 11, 2013

Well, that makes sense then. I was wondering why a guy like that wouldn't just give up his scholorship and have a booster pay his tuition so he could do whatever to make money.

I don't like the rule. I understand the intent of it, but the NCAA sells the athletes likenesses to EA Sports, ect.. and make money. They make millions off of tv revenue based on soley off of the athletes. It's just do as I say not as I do.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on August 12, 2013

Quote from Tony Bradberry's post:

"[quote=

What stops this from happening now? Cam Newton took a little extra (six figures is what was reported) to go to Auburn. Taking a dive for money actually could bring legal ramifications, but there is nothing saying it hasn't been done now anyways. I remember a story of a basketball player years ago paid to shave points. Just because it is against the rules now doesn't mean it doesn't happen."

Sorry for my delayed response to this, I was in a location that gloriously has no internet or cell phone reception....

You are right... taking a dive or shaving points is illegal, as it upset's the competitive balance of a game and allows insiders to profit from it. So how is paying a kid to attend University A instead of University B any different? What if I won the lottery and started paying kids to NOT go to Penn State, because I'm tired of seeing them win National Championships? I don't care where they go, just don't go to State College and wrestle for Cael!

Paying them to attend a particular school is exactly the same as paying them to shave points. If one is illegal, then they should both be. They guy handing out the money is just as wrong (if not more) than the kid accepting it.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 13, 2013

"Paying them to attend a particular school is exactly the same as paying them to shave points. If one is illegal, then they should both be."

They would seem to be approximately the same if the motivation of the donor is to profit financially.

However, there might be other ways a donor can exploit an athlete, besides doing it for financial gain. I'm not sure about passing laws though.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 13, 2013

Leo: I don't recall ever hearing that point before. Well done.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 13, 2013

the dif is, i believe, "point shaving" is related to illegal gambling, thus the criminal aspect.

(however should legislation need to be enacted, i am only sorry Dennis Kucinich and Anthony Weiner are no longer in congress to sponsor this bill.)

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on August 13, 2013

Ahhh... but gambling is not illegal. I could legally lay down a bet on college sports from this laptop. Inducing a player to under-perform in order to change the competitive balance IS illegal. I'm suggesting that inducing a player to attend a particular school ALSO upsets the competitive balance.

No new legislation is not needed. Just charge the offending booster, memorabilia dealer or tattoo artist the same way you charge the degenerate gambler that pays a kid to brick his free throws.

Last edited by Leo Zimmer on August 13, 2013; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 13, 2013

Death by dismemberment!?!?!?!?!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 14, 2013

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"Ahhh... but gambling is not illegal. I could legally lay down a bet on college sports from this laptop.

Inducing a player to under-perform in order to change the competitive balance IS illegal. I'm suggesting that inducing a player to attend a particular school ALSO upsets the competitive balance."

U make an interesting point Leo, thank you for the mental acuity challenge, at my age i need it (as a certain poster here reminds me).

maintaining "competitive balance" is only part of federal gambling law as effects outcomes of sporting events. Thus Bribes to players & coaches to change outcomes are illegal.

btw, most gambling is still illegal in the USA, and point shaving is considered a Bribe under federal gambling laws.

According to my google, the 1999 Gambling Impact Study finds an estimated $80 billion to $380 billion was illegally bet each year on sporting events in the United States. This estimate dwarfed the $2.5 billion legally bet each year in Nevada.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3