Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Who beat Tim Dernlan?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Roe: I don't recall what Chad Owens did as a frosh but he lost several as a soph. including the state semi-finals to Peter Nathanson. I remember that match as I was fortunate enough to be sitting matside.

I believe Joe Pflug went 152-4 in high school.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

152-4!?!?!?! That's insane!!! ANY idea who one of those might be??? I'm guessing the state tournament gave him a couple...

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Mark said "Ohio never had an undefeated high school wrestler." Well I grew up in Maple Heights, and we had Tom Milkovich, 93-0 if memory serves me right. Back in the late sixties you couldn't wrestle as a freshman, so his streak began his sophomore year. I was in St. John Arena when he got a standing ovation, and the announcement that he had gone undefeated in his HS career.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Brady... C.P. Good one! And does this mean he only had one loss in high school or this is at least one kid he lost to. It could be either, just don't remember his total number of losses."

He had only one h.s. loss.

Patrick -- I hope so old man -- :) you would have been a sr. when I was a 7th grader."

I gotta take my wins were I can get them. I'd beat up a 7th grader today if I could ;) I can always say I beat Matt Dernlan too...when he would come to the garage while he was in Jr High. Tim was all of 60lbs then...he just watched. Yea that's right...Tim Dernlan watched and wished he could be me at one time. All Right, back to reality now! It's all in jest...no hate mail (except from Brady. He can send me hate mail)!!

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Joe Boardwine's post:

"I think Tim had gone totally undefeated for two years at 103, before moving up to 112 and losing to Jimmy Johnson (Walsh Jesuit) 7-5 OT at the Medina.

Later that year at 112 lbs., Bo Wilkovich (Columbia) beat him 14-8 in the quarters at state, and again 3-2 for third place at state"

I remember that year was nuts. That weight had Roscovich, Gleckler(sp), Workman, Walker, and a bunch of other future stars. It was won of course by your brother (after he squeaked past a freshman Scott Nicola via tf at sectionals). One of my favorite state title runs in memory.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

I think it's also important to note that WIlcovich was the defending state champ at this weight.

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I think it's also important to note that WIlcovich was the defending state champ at this weight."

I agree, that seems to get lost in the story.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

"John McGhee I think had three losses. I forget agaisnt who. Chad Owens maybe one or two?"

I think and old teammate of mine from Kent, Keith Shamblin from South East beat him at least one time.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Mark Palumbo's post:

""John McGhee I think had three losses. I forget agaisnt who. Chad Owens maybe one or two?"

I think and old teammate of mine from Kent, Keith Shamblin from South East beat him at least one time."

I am pretty sure Keith Shamblin beat him in the District Finals at Firestone - and then lost to him in the state finals. Clint Musser also beat Johnny McGhee - quite handily for about 5:30 of the match, but I remember him spending the last 30 seconds on his back.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from John Flanigan's post:

"I believe that Burnett lost to Price (Brookside) twice - his only two high school losses."

A little known fact is that Streetsboro's first state champ, John Purcell, beat Erik Burnett in the Districts at 98 lbs. when Erik was a freshman. Purcell was a junior and Burnett was a freshman. The next week, Purcell was upset in the semis, and Erik beat that guy in the finals to get his first of four titles.

Purcell returned to 98 lbs. the next year and went undefeated and won state. Think Erik might have gone up to 105 lbs. (and won state again).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Hank, you are correct. As time passed, freshmen became able to compete at the varsity level. I came on the scene WELL after that, and my reference point is that EVERYBODY can wrestle for 4 years.

As you noted, this was not always the case.

My original post should have qualified it with "4-year career". Very astute.

Do you think Milkovich would have gone undefeated as a freshman? From the sounds of it, he would have certainly been in the mix. Who would have had the chance (and ability) to stop him?

Last edited by Mark Niemann on February 23, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"I gotta take my wins were I can get them. I'd beat up a 7th grader today if I could ;) "

That's funny stuff.

"

"I believe that Burnett lost to Price (Brookside) twice - his only two high school losses."

A little known fact is that Streetsboro's first state champ, John Purcell, beat Erik Burnett in the Districts at 98 lbs. when Erik was a freshman. Purcell was a junior and Burnett was a freshman. The next week, Purcell was upset in the semis, and Erik beat that guy in the finals to get his first of four titles.

Purcell returned to 98 lbs. the next year and went undefeated and won state. Think Erik might have gone up to 105 lbs. (and won state again)."

Oh the memories. John was a very good wrestler indeed.

Tom Varner added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Roe: I don't recall what Chad Owens did as a frosh but he lost several as a soph. including the state semi-finals to Peter Nathanson. I remember that match as I was fortunate enough to be sitting matside.

I believe Joe Pflug went 152-4 in high school."

I believe one of Pflugs losses was to C.P. Schlatter , and two more came in the state finals

Tom Varner added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"

Purcell returned to 98 lbs. the next year and went undefeated and won state. Think Erik might have gone up to 105 lbs. (and won state again)."

Oh the memories. John was a very good wrestler indeed."

I believe John beat Erik 8-6 at Firestone that year. He lost by that same score in the state semifinals. John then matched up with Mark Maranelli (sp) from DeSales for third.

John was a best his senior year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next