Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Brooks failed PED test at U23
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Apparently, AB popped for Adderall at U23s and needed a temporary waiver to compete at trials. Still not 100% sure he'll be cleared for the Olympics. He apparently has a script, but did not file paperwork properly (or something like that)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Apparently, AB popped for Adderall at U23s and needed a temporary waiver to compete at trials. Still not 100% sure he'll be cleared for the Olympics. He apparently has a script, but did not file paperwork properly (or something like that)"

..and so are the Days of our Lives!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

This is interesting as it is totally a PED. Didn't know it was given an exemption if filed. Can someone else verify this is allowed with a filing.

Adderall is an amphetamine. Improves brain function as well as hand eye coordination. Not a small amount either. Like a lot.

A couple guys that were competing this year made my spidey sense tingle and my gut tells me they are on Adderall as their pace seems enhanced.

I am prescribed Modafinil for shift work sleep disorder. If I am up at nights on the medic, then I feel like a zombie the next day. A half tab makes me feel like a boss.

Adderall full dose is a different animal; wrestlers would win on pace alone and opponents would be unable to maintain position comparatively over time. Hmmm.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Just a couple of things with a quick search.
I find that athletes in the NFL can apply for a TUE (therapeutic use exemption) but I can't seem to find any info as to whether the NCAA permits it except "maybe" in the third post below. OTOH, is this a college issue?

Are athletes allowed to take Adderall?
Both the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) consider Adderall to be a performance enhancer. The NFL, NBA and MLB all have Adderall on their banned substance list. As with any drug, abusing Adderall can have long-term consequences.

CATEGORIES OF SUBSTANCES PROHIBITED IN-COMPETITION ONLY
• Stimulants:epinephrine*(adrenalineor Epinephrine Auto-Injector use requires the submission of an emergency TUE following treatment), adrafinil, amphetamine, dextroamphetamine (Adderall)

Can college athletes take ADHD medication?
Stimulant medications are NCAA banned substances, and their use requires the institution to maintain documentation on file and submit a medical exception request, using the NCAA medical exception ADHD reporting form, in the event of a positive drug test.

What sports are banned from Adderall?
Adderall, a brand name, is classified as a psychostimulant, related to other stimulants such as methamphetamine and cocaine. It is illegal without a prescription and is banned by the NFL, MLB, NBA and the NCAA. Adderall is banned in the National Hockey League, which currently does not allow medical exemptions.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Adderall suppresses appetite. In addition to the advantages spelled out by Rex, it can be used to cut weight.

Frankly, I don’t care. If it’s allowed for classroom studies, it should be allowed for athletics.

Free Aaron Brooks.

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"
Frankly, I don’t care. If it’s allowed for classroom studies, it should be allowed for athletics.
Free Aaron Brooks."

An interesting bit of logic that I completely disagree with.
Two reasons come to mind very quickly.
1) Without a prescription, it is illegal. Even then, an athlete needs a TUE.
2) It is a performance enhancing drug.

I'm with Jim on this one.

How do you feel when your wrestler gets worked over/embarrassed by a guy that is on speed? Maybe it's worse when it is the deciding factor in a close match.

Low hanging fruit; When Jon Jones competed on cocaine and looked otherworldly. How does Cormier feel about that?

Anyway, it gives an unfair advantage. I'm fairly certain that it could turn a qualifier into an All American and an AA into a champ if their underlying skills were solid enough.

I'll even go one step further to connect the dots.

If a wrestler goes at an extreme pace and is instructed in advanced set up skills while always maintaining discipline with head/hands defense; his opponent will be unable to keep up with him.

While the opponent begins to fatigue mentally and physically, his reactions slow, and his position deteriorates. All the while, the wrestler on Adderall is able to chug away at the same rate at which he started.

The opponent is unable to react due to the unnatural state of things which he has not experienced before.

It's grossly unfair and I'm 99% I watched it a bunch this year.

The right style of wrestling combined with Adderall leads to super high paced and lopsided affair.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Adderall has that “speed” effect in people who don’t need it. Not so for people who do. Brooks apparently has a prescription. If true, there’s no problem.

He supposedly has a prescription but filled out paperwork correctly.

I would venture a bet that he "needs" it in the same way a LOT of professional cyclists had a need for asthma medication a few years back. It was unreal how many had "breathing issues".
Even if you can get a prescription (not that hard at all), he still has to get a TUE. Don't fill out the paper properly, you have a problem.
Getting a TUE just makes it legalized cheating, IMO.
Rex knows the effects much better than I ever will. To me, it is just wrong. The fact that he is a great wrestler doesn't make it right.

BTW, I felt the same way about the nonsense with Daton Fix a couple of years ago. No one with any brains would believe the story he thought up.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Hmmm."

Yep, definitely makes me go "Hmmm."
On a whole host of fronts.

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"He supposedly has a prescription but filled out paperwork incorrectly."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 6, 2024

Personally, I think Brooks is fantastic and would love to see him compete.

But I remember when J'Den Cox missed the weigh in time and got disqualified for it.

Why would this be different?

FTR I love ABs wrestling and personality and he isn't one of the guys who triggered my spidey sense.

When I said I saw it a bunch it is because I watched a lot of a couple guys and know some backstory.

If someone gets diagnosed with ADHD in college rather than 12-14 y/o that is suspect.

If someone looks like they are on another level, rather than be awed by it; it makes me look at it a little closer.

If they emerge on the wrestling scene along the spectrum of pace or strength at an extremely advanced level there is a reason. Could be legit or otherwise.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next