Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: What's the Deal with PSU Coaches?
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 5, 2024

????????

Beavercreek, down in Dayton, is coached by a very well respected coach in Gary Wise. None of their wrestlers shake the opposing coaches hand after a match. I have never taken offense to it because they all compete with class.

They don’t shake hands for other reasons.

When Rogo gets some man muscle, he’s gonna be really scary!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on February 5, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Fair enough. I'm just ticked because you were right about Rogotzke ;)

Honestly, this topic has a weak premise and I know it. Sometimes I just want to hear what people say. Message received. I'm off base in my criticism."

I don't think it's off base.

Stating the obvious here but shaking the opponent's hand is common courtesy. It's deeply ingrained in the sport, including at the very highest level, even as far as shaking every official's hand.

Nobody is faultless, as people definitely do get caught up in the moment and miss it now and again, but not shaking somebody's hand after they beat your wrestler is weak IMO. I expect that from Iowa. Normally don't see that out of PSU.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on February 5, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"????????

Beavercreek, down in Dayton, is coached by a very well respected coach in Gary Wise. None of their wrestlers shake the opposing coaches hand after a match. I have never taken offense to it because they all compete with class. "

True, and Gary is a great coach and great guy, but it's still very silly that they don't.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 5, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"????????

Beavercreek, down in Dayton, is coached by a very well respected coach in Gary Wise. None of their wrestlers shake the opposing coaches hand after a match. I have never taken offense to it because they all compete with class. "

True, and Gary is a great coach and great guy, but it's still very silly that they don't."

Their reasoning, IMHO, is fine. I’ve strongly considered following suit after a couple incidents where opposing coaches said things towards my wrestlers. I chose to continue it while alos addressing the coaches.

I gre up in MN, graduated in ‘91 and shaking opp coaches hand after the match wasn’t done by anybody then.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on February 6, 2024

I don't think the PSU coaches saw him as their backs were turned and they were talking to their wrestler.

I agree with Coach Wise's philosophy. I have witnessed several instances were opposing coaches have unintentionally made comments to a wrestler during the after bout handshake that were offensive and caused issues. A few examples I have dealt with in the past, "Good luck in the consolations" and "Keep working hard some day you will get there". No ill intension but immediately after a tough match not something that a kid should hear and besides it really isn't necessary.

AND let's not forget that Tom Brands walked out to shake an opposing wrestlers hand (that Incidently just beat his kid) and got dinged a team point for meeting him at the OB line.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 6, 2024

Cael was respectful of Ohio State in the postmatch presser. He said the Bucks were prepared for the dual and wrestled well. If he missed Bouzakis, it was not intentional.

Incidentally, I enjoy listening to Cael deal with the media. He’s careful to not reveal too much about his team but in general matters on the sport he’s very insightful. Also, did you catch him criticizing Penn State fans for being too quiet during matches? I had the same thought on Friday. Rec Hall is nowhere near the atmosphere of Carver or for that matter Covelli.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 6, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Cael was respectful of Ohio State in the postmatch presser. He said the Bucks were prepared for the dual and wrestled well. If he missed Bouzakis, it was not intentional.

Incidentally, I enjoy listening to Cael deal with the media. He’s careful to not reveal too much about his team but in general matters on the sport he’s very insightful. Also, did you catch him criticizing Penn State fans for being too quiet during matches? I had the same thought on Friday. Rec Hall is nowhere near the atmosphere of Carver or for that matter Covelli."

When you smash everybody consistently and so thoroughly convincing, not much to get to amped up about. Put A.J. vs. Brooks on the mat and Rec Hall would come alive.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2