Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs. PSU
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 7, 2024

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"From the NCAA Officials Coordinator.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12047221-NCAA-official-coordinator-releases-statements-on-reaction-time-calls"

Hi Jim -

I've been out of the game a very long time, now watching from the cheap seats.

Can you enlighten me a bit re the current review process - notably, the lead ref is of course reviewing his own judgment call; but what's the role of the second ref? Any? Moral support? He certainly can't trump the lead ref, right? I assume the two collaborate, and attempt to reach consensus. But if they don't, meaning if they agree to disagree, then the lead ref trumps the second, yes?

Current system is better than nothing. And of course NCAA wrestling isn't the NFL, so there are time and cost limitations. But as long as the lead ref is reviewing his own call, and has ultimate authority, then the system leads a fair amount to be desired.

Last week's 125lb match is Exhibit A.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 7, 2024

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"From the NCAA Officials Coordinator.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12047221-NCAA-official-coordinator-releases-statements-on-reaction-time-calls"

Hi Jim -

I've been out of the game a very long time, now watching from the cheap seats.

Can you enlighten me a bit re the current review process - notably, the lead ref is of course reviewing his own judgment call; but what's the role of the second ref? Any? Moral support? He certainly can't trump the lead ref, right? I assume the two collaborate, and attempt to reach consensus. But if they don't, meaning if they agree to disagree, then the lead ref trumps the second, yes?

Current system is better than nothing. And of course NCAA wrestling isn't the NFL, so there are time and cost limitations. But as long as the lead ref is reviewing his own call, and has ultimate authority, then the system leads a fair amount to be desired.

Last week's 125lb match is Exhibit A."

My view is from the cheap seats as well but I can tell you what I "think" I know.
As I stated earlier, I would love to have some insight as to what was discussed as they reviewed this "call".

It is my understanding that the NCAA tournament (and maybe some other big ones) has the review done by officials not on the mat but in another part of the building. In duals like this, that probably is not practical.

The man with the whistle always has the final call. At least for us (HS officials) the assistant may agree, disagree, or have no opinion (maybe their angle was not good or something like that) on the call. Hopefully the assistant sees something that will help in getting a call correct. If they agree, that is the way the call goes. If they do not, hopefully the assistant saw something, and verbalizes it, to back up his view.

FYI, I had a situation like this about a week ago (no where close to as high pressure) where I had a TD/no TD at the boundary. I ruled no TD as I did not feel control beyond reaction time was met and I did not feel the hand was supporting weight. As the situation ended, I asked my ass't and he said he could not see the hand posted on the mat so he could not tell me anything. Given that, I went with my non-call. I have since seen a video and the hand seems to have been down longer than it seemed in real time. I am still okay with my call BUT it was a lot closer than I thought it was at that time.

The OSU/PSU non-call was, IMO, no where near as close.

Hopefully this answers your questions?

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 7, 2024

Jim -
Yes, appreciated, as always.
And like you, I sure wish I was a fly on the wall for that conversation.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6