Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. that school up north
Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

That was one of the craziest duals I've ever seen. If you told me that the Buckeyes would stage a comeback after 157, I'd have said its possible but low probability.
Shout out to all the guys that stepped up.

Hepner staying in the match and getting two takedowns later in the match was heroic. Very tough thing to do against Mantanona who is very game.

Ryder Rogotzke is the Berzerker. I love watching him wrestle and want him to start for selfish reasons. He is a one man show and approaches wrestling in his own unique way.

Feldman gets the biggest win of his young career and is starting to learn the value of always staying in position. His defense in short time at the end of the period was gutsy.

These older transfers can be a bane or benefit dependent upon their personality. As a young wrestler in the program, if they take you under their wing and help you, then great. However, if they are selfishly pursuing their own goals, then not so much. Wrestling by its nature can be selfish and self-absorbed.

Those wins while lopsided on behalf of the Wolverines seemed like just wins. Whereas the Buckeyes wins felt like they were heartfelt and emotional and a result of being part of a team that really cared about the outcome of this meet. When you have Rogotzke up 14 and not looking for a takedown but a pin, that's awesome. When you have Feldman who should lose to Davisson on paper, does everything he can to secure a decision and team win, ballsy.

Anyway, that was probably my second favorite dual of all time.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Incredible victory by the Bucks. Kind of reminds me how the Bucks blew it against PSU that one year with Snyder and Tomasello and Martin all having glitch moments in their matchups. Except in reverse.

Kudos to the Bucks for never quitting. They started 6 frosh and a true soph and beat a senior/grad/6th year laden team.

That was the best sportiing event I've watched on TV in a long time.

Incidentally, I really like McCrone and Bouzakis. Regardless of their flaws, they are constantly hunting for points.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

I have heard it noisy for a match or two at other meets but the second half of the meet was crazy loud constantly, especially the last three. After Feldman my ears literally hurt.

With young guys people frequently say he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. Rogetzke looks like like he knows a lot more than I thought for a guy known as a thrower.

Some of the early losses can literally be chalked up to the difference in experience. Gomez wrestled the most complete match I’ve ever seen him wrestle. That Gomez wins a title.

After Wisconsin I wrote how impressive it was Rocco beat a long guy with talent. The Griffith match is what I thought Wisconsin might look like. But for two periods Rocco looked like the better wrestle.

The stalling calls — or sometimes lack thereof — for good or bad were atrocious. At 57, I believe TSUN should have been hit but I wouldn’t have minded both getting dinged.

After the match, Bormet gave the Brands a run for title of biggest tool in coaching.

Rex Holman: "Ryder Rogotzke is the Berzerker"

Best nickname ever. I know the Bucks braintrust sees this forum. I expect to see this in your twitterfeed.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Some post match thoughts

125 - Mccrone just isn’t that guy. I think that Ventresca win maybe hyped him a little too much. Ventresca ended up being terrible (2-7 record)As much as he would be a great story he’s just not a guy who is going to get you many points at nationals. Probably a 25 seed that goes 0-2. Kilkeary would have at least kept that match close. This is a weight Ohio state needs to look to the portal in the off-season

133-bouzakis just got destroyed from nuetral. He just gives up takedowns too easily. I never thought I would be saying this but will he be a long term starter for the buckeyes?. Davino may be better right now. Davino said he is going 133. Even if Mendes goes up to 149 Brandon cannon is very good. Maybe it’s just a weight cut issue??

141-Michigan failed skin check

149- Gomez is probably national champion if healthy , he is just better. Demilio is not in the top tier 4-5 guys but can beat anyone else.

157- Wilcox I thought looked like the better wrestler but Lewann lives on those type of matches

165-the kid hepner beat is very good. He is definitely a top 20 wrestler. Hepner impressed with that comeback. I like what I am seeing out of him. He is my dark horse at ncaas

174-Rocco looked better but needs to choose nuetral. Rocco will be an aa threat at nationals

184- Ryder is the most electric wrestler Ohio state has had in a very long time. His style is very hard to mimic. He can beat anyone but also takes some head scratching losses. While Tom is probably going to pull his shirt I hope he doesn’t. Ohio state is not in contention this year and would love to save a year of eligibility for a year where it will matter. Bullock beat Fishback. He is very good and Ryder absolutely took it to him. Excited for Ryders future.

197- Geog beat a guy he was supposed to

285- huge win by Feldman. I’m not sure he will replicate that if they wrestle again. He can’t seem to get off bottom on some of these heavies. He was a half second away from being taken down in first and third. The stalling point saved him. He just has a huge disadvantage from top and bottom against Davison but he pulled it off. If they wrestle again needs to go neutral. This win should give him a huge confidence booster going forward.

Good win for buckeyes. If Michigan kid goes at 141 we lose the dual. This team is young and fun to watch. It is time for these super seniors to graduate. I can’t wait until all these 6 year guys are gone.

Nick: I love McCrone. He has huge flaws but is always looking for points. DeAugustino is in his 5th-6th year and a former AA. I think McCrone has a long way to go but he wrestles with fire and has already improved immensely since arriving. McCrone was not considered a major prospect when he arrived in Columbus.

Bouzakis got schooled by a very fine Ragusin. Beating Nagao is no joke and shows that Ragusin has a sluggers shot to win a deep 133. Again, Bouzakis looks to score. There's a lot to clean up.

I hope that next year we see a battle for 149 between D'Emilio and Cannon. I like DD but I think we've seen his ceiling. Cannon has a lot of game. We'll see how this plays out.

Scott Clemmons added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

On TV, he was always giving this big sarcastic smile when TTUN would be hit with stalling.

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

After the match, Bormet gave the Brands a run for title of biggest tool in coaching."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Quote from Scott Clemmons's post:

"On TV, he was always giving this big sarcastic smile when TTUN would be hit with stalling.

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

After the match, Bormet gave the Brands a run for title of biggest tool in coaching."

"

Much like Ryan Day next year, Bormet loaded up on a lot of transfers with reportedly big money and it may not be working as he hoped. With big money and talented transfers comes enormous expectations.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Nice win from Rogotzke but there's a pretty good chance Bullock was concussed. He caught a nasty elbow to the back of the head in that opening flurry and then never got into the match at all from there.

Definitely don't think this win alone is a good enough reason to pull his shirt heading into the post-season.

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"Nice win from Rogotzke but there's a pretty good chance Bullock was concussed. He caught a nasty elbow to the back of the head in that opening flurry and then never got into the match at all from there.

Definitely don't think this win alone is a good enough reason to pull his shirt heading into the post-season."

Devil's advocate--should they have pulled Welsh's shirt?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

duplicate post.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on January 28, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Holy shit Buckeyes blow."

....well that was tasty crow.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

....well that was tasty crow."

Well to be fair that was early and I wasn’t wrong at the time I posted that.

Now I did hope since it was on a few earlier pages no one remembered but thanks Brady.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"Nice win from Rogotzke but there's a pretty good chance Bullock was concussed. He caught a nasty elbow to the back of the head in that opening flurry and then never got into the match at all from there.

Definitely don't think this win alone is a good enough reason to pull his shirt heading into the post-season."

You may be right Brian, look at his eyes at the end of the video.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=bullock+vs+rogotzke#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c0bef599,vid:Xd_g3nBq2mQ,st:0

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

....well that was tasty crow."

Well to be fair that was early and I wasn’t wrong at the time I posted that.

Now I did hope since it was on a few earlier pages no one remembered but thanks Brady."

LOL -- you're welcome.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next