Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: All Things NIL...
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 1, 2022

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/will-ohio-high-school-athletes-be-cashing-in-on-endorsement-deals-maybe/FFXQWKJQLNGERKF25V7YTDLCIY/

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 2, 2022

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/29/miami-isaiah-wong-basketball-threatening-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-nijel-pack-john-ruiz-lifewallet

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 3, 2022

My position: Student-Athletes should be allowed to...actually, I will state it this way - the NCAA should not be allowed to prevent or limit student-athletes from financially benefitting from an NIL deal...within the confines of other expressed or stated rules.

That is the root or foundation of my position. All other positions flow from that.

QUESTION: Is it still unethical/illegal (according to NCAA by-laws) to recruit a student-athlete who has already committed to, enrolled in, or competing for another institution???

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on May 3, 2022

I guess the question I have (and I really have no idea) has several parts on the college level.

Every university has a compliance office. I would assume that they will be "involved" in all NIL contracts?

If they are, let's say that Student A gets $25K per year from Company B. Does the college have the right/ability to then limit any scholarship dollars that would have gone to that student? In truth, they don't need them and this would allow the college to spread the wealth to other athletes who have the need but are not quite good enough to get an NIL contract. The rich will get richer in cases like this.

With regards to HS deals, I see all kinds of bad aspects of this but, IMO, the OHSAA has taken the smart course of action. By having the administrators vote on the matter, they are in the clear. Either way the OHSAA can say that this is what the membership voted for/against.

Just my $.02 (and that is about all it is worth).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2022

If they can have salary slots for NFL rookies, why can't there be a cap on NIL dollars?

Also wondering if college athletes have challenged NFL salary rules in court? NBA has similar rookie contracts.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 3, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If they can have salary slots for NFL rookies, why can't there be a cap on NIL dollars?

Also wondering if college athletes have challenged NFL salary rules in court? NBA has similar rookie contracts."

Salary structures in the NFL and NBA are collectively bargained by their respective players' unions, which gives them protection from what would otherwise be a breach of antitrust law.

There are a lot of issues with the idea of college athletes forming a union... first of which being that they're not yet employees (although some Northwestern athletes tried a few years back). Given that, I don't really see a path to collective bargaining, and I definitely don't think the NCAA wants any part of it.

It was an antitrust lawsuit in CA that spawned this entire NIL mess in the first place.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 4, 2022

Brian: Thanks for the clarity. The NIL is indeed a mess.

Remember frosh Jake Percival ripping Mark Ironsides at the NCAA tourney? When that happens now, the programs with the most access to cash will be standing matside.

"Son, step into the portal and this wad of cash will be yours."

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 4, 2022

"Brian: Thanks for the clarity. The NIL is indeed a mess.

Remember frosh Jake Percival ripping Mark Ironsides at the NCAA tourney? When that happens now, the programs with the most access to cash will be standing matside.

"Son, step into the portal and this wad of cash will be yours.""

For sure. The programs with cash don't even have to say anything. If there is a break out star at a smaller school, like a Kyle Conel a few years back, they can simply say publicly that they're planning to enter the transfer portal and will explore NIL opportunities. They can even have an agent. It's basically free agency, just with less oversight and an inability for payment to come directly from whatever team they sign with.

The two guys who fit that billing this year (Buchanan from Wyoming and Millner from App State) have already had their coaches come out publicly and state that they've been approached by larger programs.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 4, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

For sure. The programs with cash don't even have to say anything. If there is a break out star at a smaller school, like a Kyle Conel a few years back, they can simply say publicly that they're planning to enter the transfer portal and will explore NIL opportunities. They can even have an agent. It's basically free agency, just with less oversight and an inability for payment to come directly from whatever team they sign with.

The two guys who fit that billing this year (Buchanan from Wyoming and Millner from App State) have already had their coaches come out publicly and state that they've been approached by larger programs."

And this puts the athlete in a terrible position. Even if they love their program and want to remain, it's hard to walk away from tens of thousands of dollars (my estimate)

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on May 5, 2022

I thought it was Mike Zaddick but yes they would have been lining up with bags of cash

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 5, 2022

Well I didn't realize I was psychic when I I suggested that NCAA wrestling is the professional level of folkstyle. So if your team is one of the big four or five you are probably happy but if you are any other program how do you compete with the other four or five. The answer is you don't. I'm afraid this might bring about more programs to drop wrestling. It seem if there is any NIL money at your program it's going to football and basketball unless you have a well heeled wrestling alumni. Cornell might become a power to challenge PSU and others And those that can't compete will become minor leagues for the power five. Get a young man develop him and then watch him leave. And those that dislike wrestlers staying for more than 5 years get ready because my guess is those that don't have international ambitions will milk their college career for all its worth. All in all I can't believe this is going to be good for college wrestling. and don't get me started about applying this to high schools.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 5, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"My position: Student-Athletes should be allowed to...actually, I will state it this way - the NCAA should not be allowed to prevent or limit student-athletes from financially benefitting from an NIL deal...within the confines of other expressed or stated rules.

That is the root or foundation of my position. All other positions flow from that.

QUESTION: Is it still unethical/illegal (according to NCAA by-laws) to recruit a student-athlete who has already committed to, enrolled in, or competing for another institution???"

I agree with your basic premise the problem is how to do it without disadvantaging most programs. My understanding is that the NIL is between an individual or company and the athlete. If that is the case then unethical I think yes but not against NCAA rules. My question is will programs with strong NIL frameworks turn over some or most of the recruiting of athletes to the NIL process and will that recruiting include wrestlers already active at other programs?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 5, 2022

Echoing Mike Stann's thoughts:

Wrestling is already too much a sport of "haves" and "have nots". The NIL will increase this gap and the likelihood of schools dropping wrestling will grow.

Not a good situation.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 5, 2022

We might see some programs drop but I don't think it'll relate specifically to NIL.

There's never been anything close to a balance of power in wrestling. There's been three champions in the past 15 years. Five in the past 30. Compare team scores from recent years with those 10, 20, and 30 years ago and there's really no discernible difference.

With the NCAA in "flux," let's call it, I think it's more likely we see schools ask some fundamental questions about whether they want to field teams in any of these non-revenue sports.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 5, 2022

[quote="Shawn Andrews"]

"
I thought it was Mike Zaddick but yes they would have been lining up with bags of cash"

Shawn correct, yes indeed it was Mike Zaddick who Percival tore up, almost TFed with loads of riding time as well. In Kansas City i recall, fab steakhouses, went to one with Pat Galbincea ......and as Fats Domino tells us circa 1970
I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City here I come
They got some pretty little women there and I'm gonna get me one

► Add to the Discussion