Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU v PSU 2/19
Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 15, 2021

Bucks host the Nittany Lions in their final regular season matchup prior to Big Tens in early March. 7pm start time, televised on the Big Ten network. I think at this point the Bucks are trending up in most of the weights. I keep having to remind myself that without the benefit of a first third of the season everyone had to jump straight into conference duals in the toughest conference in the country. That’s a steep learning curve for anyone, but especially for a younger guy like D’Emilio or perhaps even more of a veteran like Orndorf.

125- #12 Heinsleman vs Howard
-Following a solid win over Jack Meadley this weekend I would think that Howard’s ranking would place him in and around the top ten. The PSU super recruit is 4-0 on the season and looks to be a legit AA contender come March. As of now I put this at a toss up, but will give a slight edge to Malik for experience.

133- Decatur vs #3 RBY
-RBY might be the most electric wrestler in the country. His combination of speed, creativity, and technique are unparalleled. This was ugly last year, and it may be worse this time around. Bonus PSU.

141- D’Emilio vs #3 Lee
-I think Dylan has probably cemented himself as the starter with his performance the last two weeks. I love his pace, size, and grit. Quite honestly, I think Lee is the type of wrestler that Dylan probably emulates best. Nick Lee has been a force for sometime now. The top three in this weight will be immensely fun to watch in two weeks. Lee by bonus, but Dylan scraps.

149- #2 Sasso vs #16 Verkleeran.
-It stands to reason that the Bucks very possibly could be 0-3 in the first three weights. Sammy has looked the part of a national title contender all season. I’m not sure if Verkleeran is the starter or not here. Last year Sammy wrestled two very low scoring bouts against him. He doesn’t get out of position much, and has enough of a Greco background to put Sammy in awkward positions. Sammy struggles to score against people who don’t shoot, and Verkleeran never shoots. I actually think Sammy could bonus if it’s the tall kid (name escapes me). His lanky frame is just begging to be cradled. Bucks by decision.

157- Cleary vs #11 Berge
-This is not the Brady Berge who loss to Kiner last year. This is the new and improved AA candidate Brady Berge. This could still be a low scoring affair. I think Berge could push for bonus. PSU by dec.

165- #8 Smith vs #14 Lee
Lee just lost to Amine, and is not his older brother. I’d love to see Ethan push for bonus here. Bucks by dec.

174- #4 Romero vs #7 Starocci
-Match of the night if it happens. Starocci is coming off an upset of Logan Massa in Sunday’s dual. He is fundamentally sound in all positions and has that added element of PSU scrambliness. If Kaleb goes I think this will be an overtime type match that could come down to ride outs. If Kaleb stays out of scramble situations I think he can win here. Honestly, I’m not sure he wrestles. With Big Tens two weeks out, and him coming off an injury I’m not sure you chance it. If he wins I think he could get the three seed. If he loses he’s probably the five. I’d give yourself the best opportunity to be healthy for the post season.

184- #13 Jordan vs #5 Brooks
-this was real ugly last year. Brooks is just a style matchup nightmare for most guys, but especially Rocky. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything that wouldn’t lead me to believe this would be anything other than a major for PSU.

197- #25 Hoffman vs #13 Beard
-I have not seen Beard wrestle much this year. I have not been overly impressed, and I know that Hoffman owns a high school win over Beard...not that it matters now. I’ll list this match as a toss up. It’d be a solid win for Gavin heading into Big Tens if he could pull it out. Gavin has battled, and done more to earn the spot than Singletary in my mind.

285- #16 Orndorf vs #13 Nevilles
-Another toss up. Tate needs a W here in the worst way.

If the Bucks managed to win every toss up then this could be a dual. Where PSU is favored they are big favorites to bonus. Even if everything goes right I think we still lose this dual. PSU just matches up really well against the Bucks. Upon reflecting over the last two seasons I think Ohio State has always fared better than I anticipated in most matchups. We have a lot of under the radar types on our team. We need to perform well heading into Big Tens. I think we keep this dual within single digits as far as team points are concerned. You can feel the tidal wave of talent coming with this next generation of PSU starts, and that’s without Kirklievet

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 15, 2021

Bucks will be favored at 149 and 165 with a shot at 174 (depending on Romero's health). Otherwise, it's a tough road for the Bucks. Hoffman vs Beard could be interesting if Gavin can counter and score successfully on his feet. 133 and 141 will be ugly. And Nevills is too active for Orndorf. Rock looks to be on the right track but Brooks appears to be a title contender.

Match of the night will likely be 125. As Jared noted, in a perfect Buckeye world, this could be a competitive dual. Historically, however, the Bucks usually lose the toss ups in a dual with PSU. And upsets are never out of the question.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 15, 2021

I watched the PSU/Mich match yesterday and was really impressed with the PSU freshmen. Too bad the Iowa/PSU match was postponed this year.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 15, 2021

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Bucks host the Nittany Lions in their final regular season matchup prior to Big Tens in early March. 7pm start time, televised on the Big Ten network. I think at this point the Bucks are trending up in most of the weights. I keep having to remind myself that without the benefit of a first third of the season everyone had to jump straight into conference duals in the toughest conference in the country. That’s a steep learning curve for anyone, but especially for a younger guy like D’Emilio or perhaps even more of a veteran like Orndorf.

125- #12 Heinsleman vs Howard
-Following a solid win over Jack Meadley this weekend I would think that Howard’s ranking would place him in and around the top ten. The PSU super recruit is 4-0 on the season and looks to be a legit AA contender come March. As of now I put this at a toss up, but will give a slight edge to Malik for experience.

133- Decatur vs #3 RBY
-RBY might be the most electric wrestler in the country. His combination of speed, creativity, and technique are unparalleled. This was ugly last year, and it may be worse this time around. Bonus PSU.

141- D’Emilio vs #3 Lee
-I think Dylan has probably cemented himself as the starter with his performance the last two weeks. I love his pace, size, and grit. Quite honestly, I think Lee is the type of wrestler that Dylan probably emulates best. Nick Lee has been a force for sometime now. The top three in this weight will be immensely fun to watch in two weeks. Lee by bonus, but Dylan scraps.

149- #2 Sasso vs #16 Verkleeran.
-It stands to reason that the Bucks very possibly could be 0-3 in the first three weights. Sammy has looked the part of a national title contender all season. I’m not sure if Verkleeran is the starter or not here. Last year Sammy wrestled two very low scoring bouts against him. He doesn’t get out of position much, and has enough of a Greco background to put Sammy in awkward positions. Sammy struggles to score against people who don’t shoot, and Verkleeran never shoots. I actually think Sammy could bonus if it’s the tall kid (name escapes me). His lanky frame is just begging to be cradled. Bucks by decision.

157- Cleary vs #11 Berge
-This is not the Brady Berge who loss to Kiner last year. This is the new and improved AA candidate Brady Berge. This could still be a low scoring affair. I think Berge could push for bonus. PSU by dec.

165- #8 Smith vs #14 Lee
Lee just lost to Amine, and is not his older brother. I’d love to see Ethan push for bonus here. Bucks by dec.

174- #4 Romero vs #7 Starocci
-Match of the night if it happens. Starocci is coming off an upset of Logan Massa in Sunday’s dual. He is fundamentally sound in all positions and has that added element of PSU scrambliness. If Kaleb goes I think this will be an overtime type match that could come down to ride outs. If Kaleb stays out of scramble situations I think he can win here. Honestly, I’m not sure he wrestles. With Big Tens two weeks out, and him coming off an injury I’m not sure you chance it. If he wins I think he could get the three seed. If he loses he’s probably the five. I’d give yourself the best opportunity to be healthy for the post season.

184- #13 Jordan vs #5 Brooks
-this was real ugly last year. Brooks is just a style matchup nightmare for most guys, but especially Rocky. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything that wouldn’t lead me to believe this would be anything other than a major for PSU.

197- #25 Hoffman vs #13 Beard
-I have not seen Beard wrestle much this year. I have not been overly impressed, and I know that Hoffman owns a high school win over Beard...not that it matters now. I’ll list this match as a toss up. It’d be a solid win for Gavin heading into Big Tens if he could pull it out. Gavin has battled, and done more to earn the spot than Singletary in my mind.

285- #16 Orndorf vs #13 Nevilles
-Another toss up. Tate needs a W here in the worst way.

If the Bucks managed to win every toss up then this could be a dual. Where PSU is favored they are big favorites to bonus. Even if everything goes right I think we still lose this dual. PSU just matches up really well against the Bucks. Upon reflecting over the last two seasons I think Ohio State has always fared better than I anticipated in most matchups. We have a lot of under the radar types on our team. We need to perform well heading into Big Tens. I think we keep this dual within single digits as far as team points are concerned. You can feel the tidal wave of talent coming with this next generation of PSU starts, and that’s without Kirklievet"

Howard is only 1-0 on the year. Michigan match was his 1st match

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 15, 2021

Good catch sir.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 19, 2021

Bucks should just FF 133

I’m tired of hearing about the weight cut he is so much smaller then RBY and he has zero
issues with the weight.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 19, 2021

Good god! Getting ugly

Romero didn’t look a 100% to me and can totally see him winning next time.

Jordan could wrestle Brooks a 1000 and never win.

Bad match for Hoffman but Beard has been at PSU for like 3 years and is still a FR

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 19, 2021

Has Orndorf beating anyone this year? Any time I’ve seen him wrestle a ranked wrestler, he’s lost. Who am I to criticize him, but it’s still frustrating

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 19, 2021

Well...another year, another butt whoppin by the Nittany Lions. Let’s be frank, I’m not sure that result will change much in the foreseeable future either. The Nitany Lions are just different. Malik continues to look solid and confident. Sammy has continued to be consistent, not always dominant, but just gets the job done. Bartlett will be an absolute stud in the future. He was extremely impressive at a lot of the national level tourneys in hs. Ethan seems to be on the same trajectory as Malik. I think that match is probably pretty tight throughout, but it was great to see him continue to have success after the absolute grind he had to withstand last year. Am I alone in thinking that Kaleb looked half a step slower tonight? Coming off an injury, and probably with a less than full training regiment, I think he can absolutely reverse that match in two weeks. Nothing much else to really say. PSU could legitimately have champs at 133, 141 might be tough, 174 perhaps, and 184. Not too shabby for as young as they are.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 19, 2021

Looking at the positives, Malik and Smith look like legit AA contenders. Smith wrestles hard in every position and makes improvement every year. Malik has made a big jump both in his size/strength but also is bottom wrestling and his finishes. Dude is lightening quick on his feet.

I like that Beard is a RS FR and he graduated HS in 2018. PSU has kids Gray shirt then the RS and then wrestle so they have been in the room 2 years before they step on the mat.

Yea Romero looked like he was favoring his one leg.

I believe D Emilio beat Beau B a couple of times in HS.

I believe Romero graduated HS in 2017 and is a RS Junior and Starocci graduated in 2018 and is a RS freshman.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 19, 2021

Starocci wrestled pretty much like he did vs Massa. Very tough to TD as we saw tonight. Massa made the mistake of trying a roll and got stuffed for back points, but in the future I think it will be a toss up between those three guys, with Kemerer holding a very slight advantage over Kaleb, Massa & Starocci.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 20, 2021

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"I like that Beard is a RS FR and he graduated HS in 2018. PSU has kids Gray shirt then the RS and then wrestle so they have been in the room 2 years before they step on the mat.

I believe Romero graduated HS in 2017 and is a RS Junior and Starocci graduated in 2018 and is a RS freshman."

I don’t like the gray shirting thing either, but a lot of that seems to have been generated out of necessity from the Ivys. PSU just rolled it into the state university. I guess I don’t see a difference between that and having your kid repeat eighth grade prior to entering high school. I mean BoJo and Logan were both 20 years old as RS. It all about competitive advantages, and in the universities perspective it allows them to juggle recruiting with more flexibility. Frankly, it’s smart.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 20, 2021

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"I like that Beard is a RS FR and he graduated HS in 2018. PSU has kids Gray shirt then the RS and then wrestle so they have been in the room 2 years before they step on the mat.

I believe Romero graduated HS in 2017 and is a RS Junior and Starocci graduated in 2018 and is a RS freshman."

I don’t like the gray shirting thing either, but a lot of that seems to have been generated out of necessity from the Ivys. PSU just rolled it into the state university. I guess I don’t see a difference between that and having your kid repeat eighth grade prior to entering high school. I mean BoJo and Logan were both 20 years old as RS. It all about competitive advantages, and in the universities perspective it allows them to juggle recruiting with more flexibility. Frankly, it’s smart."

I agree and don’t have a problem with it either but was just pointing it out. Now they don’t do it with every kid but do have 3-4 kids a year that do it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next