Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU v Northwestern 2/9
Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 7, 2020

Senior day this Sunday. Bucks should roll in this dual as they are favored in most of the matches. 125 looks to be interesting in that we will get our first glimpse at Koontz down at 125 against a formidable opponent. It seems to be uncertain as to whether we will see Rivera at 133, as he hasn’t competed in quite a while. Cleary will also retake the mat against undefeated and #1 ranked Ryan Deakin. If Rivera wrestles I would imagine the dual would end 7-3 match wise in the Buckeyes favor.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2020

So, the staff wanted to use Kinner against Nebraska but will let Cleary take the beating against Deakin?

In my opinion, the staff might well have cost themselves the dual win against Neb for this reason alone. Cleary was an obvious choice to go.

I like Kinner's potential at 157. He looks like he could fill out and man the weight class. But Cleary had been improving and had the size to compete against Robb. I'd have put his odds of winning at 50%. Kinner just isn't strong enough to win against a quality 157. Hell, he'd have gotten stuck against Maryland if not for "divine intervention."

Agree? Disagree?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 7, 2020

Valid points Hank. Best educated forum contributors on the web.

Years ago, Luke Fickell came out for wrestling and it was managed horribly as the football program was not supportive and Hellickson belived that wrestling should come first. Plus, Luke was a zoology major. Plus, the Big Ten at 285 was strong and deep. As I know now, the only way to be successful is to be smart in the way you manage people.

Throwing him against Kerry McCoy instead of Tony Vaughn from Purdue in a double dual that weekend didn't go so well.Trying to get Rick Burlenski to 190 and he was a solid AA candidate at 285 as he beat Billy Pierce in the dual was dumb. Luke quit because it wasn't the right situation. He was very good as he was taking me down, but just needed some time to adapt. Burlenski made it to 192 while in Iowa City for the Big Tens but couldn't get down. Wrestled up at heavyweight giving up too much weight. His only losses at the NCAA tournament at 285 were to two AAs by a single point.

If we hadn't tried to rush Fickell into the line up; so many things would have ended up better imo.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2020

Rex: Interesting story about Fickell. I had no idea.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 7, 2020

I've mentioned it before on the dotnet. No one makes the right decision every time. I do wish some wrestlers that I competed with or coached had stronger achievement legacies as I know how close they were or had things been tweaked could have turned out different for them.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 7, 2020

Hank,
I don’t think the decision Kiner over Cleary would’ve changed the outcome of the dual. There were four five things that cost them that dual Kiner being the least of it IMO. Cleary would’ve kept that match closer, and I would agree with you that he probably wouldn’t have been out muscled, but I’ve seen little to think that Cleary would’ve pulled out the win against an opponent who I think is better than his record. Romero, Traub, Heinsleman, and Decatur all lost matches that we had better shots to win. I think they wanted to put Quinn in against guys that wouldn’t break him in half to get a comparison. Ryan said prior to the weekend stretch that Cleary was still the guy, so I’m assuming we probably don’t see Kiner any further this season.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 8, 2020

It's time to send Malik & Quinn to the weight room. It probably was unrealistic to expect a kid to jump 2 weight classes this late in the season and be effective. Next year I think Kinner's chance to be a starter will have to be at 157, unless Echemendia (141) still isn't ready to be on the squad/or enrolled.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 8, 2020

I think it looks like Cleary down the stretch. I think you had to see Kinner against a known commodity to see if he could compete at this weight. Excited to see Koontz compete at this weight. Decatur could of used a redshirt but ultimately I believe he will end up a NQ this year and challenge for AA in subsequent years.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 8, 2020

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"It's time to send Malik & Quinn to the weight room. It probably was unrealistic to expect a kid to jump 2 weight classes this late in the season and be effective. Next year I think Kinner's chance to be a starter will have to be at 157, unless Echemendia (141) still isn't ready to be on the squad/or enrolled."

Enchemendia isn’t even listed on the roster. Is he even on campus? At this juncture he’s not even a redshirt, so who knows what will or will not come of him

David Rourke added to this discussion on February 8, 2020

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"It's time to send Malik & Quinn to the weight room. It probably was unrealistic to expect a kid to jump 2 weight classes this late in the season and be effective. Next year I think Kinner's chance to be a starter will have to be at 157, unless Echemendia (141) still isn't ready to be on the squad/or enrolled."

Enchemendia isn’t even listed on the roster. Is he even on campus? At this juncture he’s not even a redshirt, so who knows what will or will not come of him"

Enchemendia couldn't get into OSU

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 8, 2020

There's been at least some talk of Sasso moving up to 157 next year. If that's the case Kinner or slot at 149 of maybe Keyshawn gets a medical year and it goes 141-Kinner 149-Hayes 157-Sasso. That's not to mention D'Emilio. I hope the Enchemendia think works out but even if it doesn't I'll still think the Bucks will be okay at these weights.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 9, 2020

Ethan Smith has had a rough couple weeks.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 9, 2020

I am really excited about Dylan Koontz at 125. He looks extremely lean and is making a huge weight cut but he just gave a top 10 guy everything he could handle. His grind style (Greco) of wrestling and leverage are going to be difficult for most guys to wrestle. If he gets settled into the weight, he has a lot of upside.

Some of the Buckeyes may have looked a little flat, but Northwestern came ready and have a superstar coaching staff as well.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 9, 2020

That’s life in the big ten at 165. Same at 133. Smith loss hurts in terms of seeding. Every other loss in the big ten was to a guy expected to be seeded higher. This one was unexpected. Overall the dual seemed to go as expected. Very workman like performance. It wasn’t the sharpest they’ve looked all year, but it was consistent at least. I thought Koontz had an opportunity for the win. He has to get to legs somehow. Who do you start at PSU? Not much data to support one guy vs the other, but to maximize points I think Dylan is your guy. I’m curious why Decatur rode for 5 minutes. That seemed intended. I would’ve expected him to push for the tech a little harder. Good mental boost heading into next week. Every other match felt a little ho hum. Great to see Schirl get the start and fall!

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 9, 2020

Everyone has a different style of wrestling. Joey McKenna, for example, has a very controlled way of wrestling. Very tight hard rides, very disciplined selection of moves.

Ethan Smith, on the other hand, has a much more "freeform" method of wrestling. His first instinct is to scramble, even when that might not be the best tactical decision. I think that leaves him open to the types of losses he sometimes incurs. I noticed he does not put much emphasis on wrist control when riding his opponent.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next