Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Iowa St. coach Dresser
Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

I found this interesting: After their loss to Okla. St. Dresser says “They don’t want to do the details that it takes to be great wrestlers. The weight issues, the lifestyle, the little things I call them, the little things that make you feel good at the end of matches, they don’t want to do that.
“This team, starting tomorrow morning at 6:30 is going to be micro-managed. We are going to put them on the scale like ninth graders every day. I let them do it their way and it is not working.”

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

If he is at the end of his rope trying to talk to them one-on-one, or even by having assistants reach out to them, then he's taking the next step in the progression. The final step is that they are removed from scholarship/team.

Simple stuff really - coach gets paid to win. He wants to win. He needs pieces on the board that give him that ability. If those pieces won't do what's necessary, it's time to bring in new pieces.

Logan Stieber is on record as saying his key to success was simple - "Do whatever my coaches tell me to do." 7am run? see you then. 8am private? See you then. Maximum effort in practice? Let me know if you see me slipping. And by golly, 4 NCAA titles later, he won a world title.

Simple. No easy.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

“Today, do what others won’t so tomorrow you can accomplish what others can’t.” — Simone Biles, the Worlds greatest female gymnist

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

Sounds to me like the mistake is Dresser not insisting things be done his way from the start. Easier said than done of course. Meanwhile, David Carr is in the mix for a title at 157 pounds. Too bad he didn't come to Columbus.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Carr would have come here. All they had to do was hire his dad at the RTC and boom David Carr is your 157 lber.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Wrestling Dads kill me. Okie State did the same thing with Daton Fix. I wonder how frequently that occurs at the D1 level. Lord knows the high school ranks are filled with egotistical Dads who leverage coaching positions like that.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Wrestling Dads kill me. Okie State did the same thing with Daton Fix. I wonder how frequently that occurs at the D1 level. Lord knows the high school ranks are filled with egotistical Dads who leverage coaching positions like that."

It happened/happens enough to get other D-I coaches to raise a fuss, calling it an “unfair recruiting advantage”. And I’m pretty sure THAT was in reference to the whole idea of the RTC, but by extension, hiring a dad as the RTC coach.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Maybe a little harsh on Nate Carr? He did wrestle at ISU and has some real skills to teach.

I never heard of Fix’s father nor the story of him getting a job at OSU. That seems much more suspect.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Maybe a little harsh on Nate Carr? He did wrestle at ISU and has some real skills to teach.

I never heard of Fix’s father nor the story of him getting a job at OSU. That seems much more suspect."

Agree.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

I agree that the Fix situation may be a little suspect. I had never heard anything about his father until he got hired as their RTC coach, but I think I read somewhere recently that his dad was a Cadet World Medalist (maybe even a champ?) back in the day? If true he must be fairly knowledgeable, but I don't think I'd classify him as a World Class Coach suitable for an RTC program associated with one of the most historic NCAA programs.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

He was a teammate of John Smith and a referee. He is never, not in the chair at Daton’s freestyle events. I seriously doubt he’s working with other guys that are apart of the program.

► Add to the Discussion