Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The old 118 weight class:
Gary Lusson added to this discussion on January 10, 2020

In 1965, I was the smallest, scrawniest little wrestler coming out of high school that you've ever seen. In good shape, quick, fairly skilled, but tiny.

I would never have wrestled in college if it wasn't for the 118 lb. weight class.

Malik (and others) seems to be in the same boat: IMHO he'd be a serious contender for an NCAA title at that weight.

Has the NCAA ever considered bringing it back? Any chance?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2020

Due to Title IX, there's no way we'll ever see a weight class added. Now, could there be a sensible re-adjustment of the weight classes? Possibly. But, the most likely scenario would be an adjustment to the upperwts. 197 needs to be re made into a 215/220 type weight.

Gary--Happy to know I'm not the oldest guy on this forum. You and Bob Preusse have me beat.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 10, 2020

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Gary--Happy to know I'm not the oldest guy on this forum. You and Bob Preusse have me beat."

I would be fairly certain that I have you beat as well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2020

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"
Gary--Happy to know I'm not the oldest guy on this forum. You and Bob Preusse have me beat."

I would be fairly certain that I have you beat as well."

Much appreciated.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 14, 2020

Back when the 118 class existed, the weigh-in rules/procedures were different back then, so I would think that 118 back then wasn't a whole lot "smaller" than 125 now. When the weight classes were last changed, every weight except for heavyweight was shifted up by 7 pounds to account for the new procedures, so the weights were higher but everyone weighed in closer to match time. I've heard some crazy stories from my former coaches, but can someone that wrestled in college under the old rules give an estimate of the average cut then vs. now?

John Herren added to this discussion on January 16, 2020

Back in the day 118 started out as 121. You lost 2 lbs in Jan and then 1 lb Feb I believe. It sucked.

Gary Lusson added to this discussion on January 16, 2020

I'm talking the late 50's here and the 60's. Very few rules and those that existed were poorly if ever enforced. Lots of lying, ways to get around things, turning a blind eye.

Horrendous weight cuts by horrendous means. Starvation and dehydration were the bywords, may as well have been writ large on wrestling room walls. If you thought you could do it then go for it, no one in authority was going to stop you, as a matter of fact they'd help. Coaches were poorly educated in nutrition, physiology, exercise science, etc. Saw serious physical and mental consequences. Was the well-known and accepted curse of the sport.

One year in HS in NY I was a taller, skinny bag of bones naturally weighing about 110 and cut down to 98. Almost no food, almost no water, full sweatsuit & RUBBER outer suit jumping rope in a sauna! And I wasn't alone.

Wrestlers made the weight, sure, but you might as well have throw a wet noodle out there for all the good they were going to do.

Was so glad to finally see some common sense and enforced regulations change things.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 16, 2020

Gary -- Not much different than what you described in early 90's either. I was recruited as a 118. Graduated HS just after turning 18 at 5'4" and 125 lbs. Grew three inches that summer and came to college at 5'7" and 135-140. Coach said, I recruited you as a 118, you need to get there.

Torture.

I coach completely different because of it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 16, 2020

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Gary -- Not much different than what you described in early 90's either. I was recruited as a 118. Graduated HS just after turning 18 at 5'4" and 125 lbs. Grew three inches that summer and came to college at 5'7" and 135-140. Coach said, I recruited you as a 118, you need to get there.

Torture.

I coach completely different because of it."

That's a crazy story, Brady. I'm sorry you had to go through such nonsense.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

These responses are pretty much what I was expecting, so a 118 pounder back then wasn't a whole lot smaller than a 125 pounder now, so I don't think the lightweights are getting jipped all that much. So many college teams struggle to fill 125 - just three years ago Tomasello was literally the only 125 on the Buckeye's roster - so the amount of college wrestlers who could be a 118 under today's rules is extremely low.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Gary -- Not much different than what you described in early 90's either. I was recruited as a 118. Graduated HS just after turning 18 at 5'4" and 125 lbs. Grew three inches that summer and came to college at 5'7" and 135-140. Coach said, I recruited you as a 118, you need to get there.

Torture.

I coach completely different because of it."

That's a crazy story, Brady. I'm sorry you had to go through such nonsense."

Hank - it sucked (BIGLY :) ) at the time - but has radically changed how I coach now so I'm good. Besides, it was my choice and I wanted to compete and couldn't beat Dernalan at 126 and the 34 pounders were HUGE so...

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"These responses are pretty much what I was expecting, so a 118 pounder back then wasn't a whole lot smaller than a 125 pounder now, so I don't think the lightweights are getting jipped all that much. So many college teams struggle to fill 125 - just three years ago Tomasello was literally the only 125 on the Buckeye's roster - so the amount of college wrestlers who could be a 118 under today's rules is extremely low."

Agree to a certain extent, but if you are a small 125 now, you'd have competed much better as a "normal" sized 118 then against guys like me who sucked huge weight to make it. Duals were brutal.

► Add to the Discussion