Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Unpredictable Start of the 2019-2020 Season
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

Aside from a number of individual upsets (Moore over Sasso, Perez (Campbell) over Monday (UNC), Smith over McFadden, and many others), the dual meets have provided much in the way of excitement - PSU loses, VT over OHST, Princeton just beat Lehigh, and North carolina over MICH a week ago.

ps; The same ASU team that defeated PSU, beat Purdue 22-19.

To what can we attribute this madness???

Last edited by Mark Niemann on November 25, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Aside from a number of individual upsets (Moore over Sasso, Perez (Campbell) over Monday (UNC), Smith over McFadden, and many others), the dual meets have provided much in the way of excitement - PSU loses, VT over OHST, Princeton just beat Lehigh, and IIRC, Army defeated a B1G (WISC???) a week ago.

To what can we attribute this madness???"

I like the Carr win and that Brands boy representin’ the family well.

#Donnybrook!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

Agree that there has been less predictability at the start of the season. A lot of excellent wrestlers are olympic redshirting and that has created some situations where guys are highly ranked but less proven than in past years.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Agree that there has been less predictability at the start of the season. A lot of excellent wrestlers are olympic redshirting and that has created some situations where guys are highly ranked but less proven than in past years."

That was my first thought - ORS. My second thought is that it is the start of the season and students' heads might not be on straight.

I was also hoping for parity.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Agree that there has been less predictability at the start of the season. A lot of excellent wrestlers are olympic redshirting and that has created some situations where guys are highly ranked but less proven than in past years."

That was my first thought - ORS. My second thought is that it is the start of the season and students' heads might not be on straight.

I was also hoping for parity."

Agree about the parity. The only team without a hole in their lineup right now is Iowa.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

In addition to what Hank mentioned about the highest level guys redshirting I think we just lost some transcendent talents from the previous season thus leaving a ton of good but not elite guys to start the year off ranked higher then they typically would've been. I think the number of returning AAs is also lower this year then in years past, and you only have two weights with returning champs (Valencia moved up so technically 3). What does this mean? More opportunity for newer ranked guys, and younger guys to emerge on the scene.

Returning AAs by weight
125: 5 (Lee returning champ)
133: 2
141: 6, if you include Pletcher
149: 4
157: 4
165: 6
174: 4
184: 2, includes Valencia; 3 if you include Darmstadt
197: 2, Does not include Hokit
285: 4 (Cassar)

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 25, 2019

"Aside from a number of individual upsets (Moore over Sasso, Perez (Campbell) over Monday (UNC), Smith over McFadden, and many others), the dual meets have provided much in the way of excitement - PSU loses, VT over OHST, Princeton just beat Lehigh, and North carolina over MICH a week ago.

And Rider beat Minnesota.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 26, 2019

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

"Aside from a number of individual upsets (Moore over Sasso, Perez (Campbell) over Monday (UNC), Smith over McFadden, and many others), the dual meets have provided much in the way of excitement - PSU loses, VT over OHST, Princeton just beat Lehigh, and North carolina over MICH a week ago.

And Rider beat Minnesota."

That’s the one!!!!!!! I knew another B1G team was defeated by an unlikely opponent. Just couldn’t remember who. I think Illinois fell victim to someone odd too.

Jeff: any thoughts on how or why so many odd results have come across the wire???

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 26, 2019

Not only do you have the guys on ORS, there are also guys wrestling limited schedules, some coming back from injury, some competing on a dual-track folk and free, some guys not yet down to weight, more guys transferring than ever, blue chippers on a two year grey/red shirt program, medical waivers, etc.

It all makes for a sort of chaotic start to the season.

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on November 26, 2019

Like swimming in raw sewage.....

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 26, 2019

"

"

That’s the one!!!!!!! I knew another B1G team was defeated by an unlikely opponent. Just couldn’t remember who. I think Illinois fell victim to someone odd too.

Jeff: any thoughts on how or why so many odd results have come across the wire???"

In the case of Minnesota, they lost at heavyweight, and the final score was 21-17, so it's safe to say they would've won if Gable wasn't suspended. Big if.

Not to take anything away from ASU, as they did a heck of a job, but PSU was missing Berge due to concussion protocol. I'm not sure if Berge would've beat Teemer, but PSU would've had a better chance with him at 157.

Oklahoma State's loss to Lehigh can be attributed to their 133 pounder not passing skin check.

I can't explain all the upsets, but I don't mind it because I like seeing some parity!

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 27, 2019

"

"

Jeff: any thoughts on how or why so many odd results have come across the wire???"

Army West Point...but they're for real. Like, Mr. Garvey sending A-A-ron to O'Shag-Hennessey's office for real.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 27, 2019

You better check yourself, B-ritt.

► Add to the Discussion