Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kyle Snyder to join Nittany Lion Wrestling Club
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

Interesting move but I wish him good luck. I don't think he's going to make the Olympic team next year but maybe he's better suited to train with D.T. & co. to get ready for Cox.

Not sure how much of a presence Snyder had around the Bucks wrestling room, but I hope it doesn't affect recruiting and thus attract more blue chippers to PSU.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/October/10/Snyder-to-train-at-Nittany-Lion-WC

I've seen elsewhere that his fiancé is at PSU.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

Curious to know if Snyder won World's last month if this still'd be the case. Don't see other big names moving Clubs for new perspectives/philosophies.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

I'm not sure how you cut this any other way then a devastating blow to the Ohio rtc and the Buckeye program as a whole. I'm not sure what stings more...the fact that he left or... that he's going to Penn State. Regardless of what he said in his tweet its difficult not to feel like 2nd fiddle to PSU. His recruitment and participation on the Ohio State program was monumental. Guys like Daniel Kirklevet and Chase Singletary came here to train with Kyle. I would argue that his recruitment and arrival to Ohio State has represented perhaps the biggest shift in the programs history. I wish him well, but this sucks.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

This is shocking but not a shock. Kyle is probably feeling stagnant in Columbus after failing to meet some major goals in recent comps. The NLWC has a huge funding advantage over other RTC's and that means they have more partners with whom to train. Add in that he appears to be close with Retherford and perhaps other Nittany Lion alums and one can see the appeal of giving State College a try.

This sucks for the Ohio RTC but it's also an opportunity to move forward and devote more resources to developing wrestlers such as Myles Martin, Nate Tomasello, Kollin Moore and Daniel Kerkvliet.

As for Snyder, he won 3 NCAA titles, an Olympic Gold and several more world championships while a member of the Ohio RTC. The program can take pride in his accomplishments. At the same time, he's given Ohio State an incredible legacy. He owes nothing more to Columbus.

I wish Snyder good luck and challenge the coaches to do better work with the wrestlers that remain.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

Hmmm.....the RTC that he won 2 world titles and an Olympic gold with suddenly isn't good enough? Maybe it's Kyle that isn't good enough anymore. Guess we'll find out but this definitely indicates Kyle has some confidence issues. Wonder how Tervel feels about it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

Quote from Snyder:

"As wrestlers, this sport is about exhausting yourself of all options to increase your likelihood of improvement,” Snyder said. “Ohio State is one of the best places you can go as a recruit and as an RTC athlete to train, but I think the change of scenery and the change of eyes on me with the different training partners and coaches that I can have at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club is going to put me at ease at least knowing that I tried that option. I’m not the type of guy that is afraid to make difficult decisions, and I don’t want to look back at my career and say I didn’t do something because of public perception and their reactions. Right now, I know that I’m supposed to be a wrestler, and I’m putting my heart into that. This is where my heart is leading me.”

David Rourke added to this discussion on October 10, 2019

Kyle's goal is to win Olympic gold in 2020, and with it looking like J'Den Cox will be bumping up for the trials, it makes sense for Kyle to go to NLWC to have partners like Taylor and Nickel to help get ready for a style like Cox. Yes, it hurts the RTC and OSU, but IMO the new facility will offset the loss??!!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"Hmmm.....the RTC that he won 2 world titles and an Olympic gold with suddenly isn't good enough? Maybe it's Kyle that isn't good enough anymore. Guess we'll find out but this definitely indicates Kyle has some confidence issues. Wonder how Tervel feels about it."

To carry this point a little farther, what if he goes to NLWC and doesn’t medal...or even make the team? He has medaled at virtually every world comp he has attended.

How does Cael/NLWC look then? What Tervel/Ryan did with him at such a young age is remarkable. Kyle beat Cael trained Varner. And though I hope he makes the team and wins gold, when did Taylor become the guy (like Dave Schultz) whom you needed to roll with to get over the top?

The timing seems a little close to Trials. It may very well be he needs a fresh set of eyes. We certainly will see.

By the way, I hope he wins gold. He is such a class act.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

Just to thicken the discussion a bit....has the absence of Lou Rosselli hurt the Ohio RTC from a results perspective? Anyone want to wade in on that thorny issue? And wouldn't it be great to have Reece Humphrey in Columbus? Also worth pointing out that the Bucks have not attracted high level talent to train in Columbus for awhile save for their own recruits. Other RTC's have been reeling in wrestlers from elsewhere.

I will say that I think these things will always have an ebb and flow to them. Perhaps having Logan as a full time RTC coach plus their new facility will allow them now to bring in more talent for RTC purposes? Or perhaps they will become a Greco hub? I have no problem with that. Greco medals are the same as freestyle medals.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Just to thicken the discussion a bit....has the absence of Lou Rosselli hurt the Ohio RTC from a results perspective? Anyone want to wade in on that thorny issue? And wouldn't it be great to have Reece Humphrey in Columbus? Also worth pointing out that the Bucks have not attracted high level talent to train in Columbus for awhile save for their own recruits. Other RTC's have been reeling in wrestlers from elsewhere.

I will say that I think these things will always have an ebb and flow to them. Perhaps having Logan as a full time RTC coach plus their new facility will allow them now to bring in more talent for RTC purposes? Or perhaps they will become a Greco hub? I have no problem with that. Greco medals are the same as freestyle medals."

I agree with you here! Perhaps Trevel is not the answer. After all, he is a 285 and don't know if that is attractive to the smaller guys.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

I think it's time to give the Ohio RTC the "Old Yeller" treatment. They don't have anyone competitive outside of Myles.

We might as well call Kyle, Benedict Snyder now. Go anywhere else but NLWC. Seriously I hate Penn State. I hope every camera that D.T. uses to take photos of himself breaks. If they try and call themselves the Bash Brothers I'll go to Penn State and protest.

I want in 2020 it to be Burroughs, Cox and Cox representing the USA at the Olympics.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

Word is they paid him double what Taylor is getting, which is 70k.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

Dan - you are a nut! ...and I kind of like it. :-)

Alex Creech added to this discussion on October 11, 2019

In my opinion he's doing it for either or both of the following reasons.

1. He's that concerned about his ability that he's willing to try anything, which is fine. But you've got to be pretty desperate\concerned to go from tOSU to NLWC and leave behind the coaches that helped you win 3 NCAA titles, 2 world titles, 1 Olympic gold and 2 other world medals.
2. $

Either way I think it's a punch in the face to the tOSU coaches, particularly Tervel, who Kyle has praised countless times about his philosophy on wrestling.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next