Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Sadulaev's message to Kyle Snyder
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (January 5) -- Gaidar GAIDAROV (RUS), the “Senior Coach of the Dagestan National Wrestling Team,” has confirmed to United World Wrestling that three-time world and Olympic champion Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) will sit out of the first Ranking Series event of the year, the Ivan Yarygin. Gaidarov simply told UWW “No, he will not be wrestling in Krasnoyarsk.”

The news of Sadulaev not competing comes five days before registration closes, and 20 days before the first whistle at the Ivan Yarygin, which is often referred to as the “Toughest Wrestling Tournament in the World.”

Sadualev not making the trip to Krasnoyarsk eliminates the potential “Round 3” matchup with the two-time world and Olympic champion Kyle SNYDER (USA) after the pair split the 2017 and 2018 world finals. “Captain America” was victorious in 2017, but the “Russian Tank” got his revenge in 2018, pinning Snyder one minute into the 97kg gold-medal bout.

The duo of superstars have recently gone back and forth on Instagram teasing a potential third match at the Ivan Yarygin.

First, it was Snyder who tagged Sadulaev in a post captioned, “Round 3. Let's do it. Krasnoyarsk, Russia."

Sadulaev quickly responded, saying, ”Buddy Snyder, I understand your condition, but I advise you to approach the trilogy with a cool head. And then suddenly the psyche will suffer. On the way to Tokyo 2020, we will meet again.”

With the news of Sadulaev sitting out of the Yarygin, it looks like we’ll have to wait until the 2019 World Championships in Astana, Kazakhstan, for the third match-up.

The Ivan Yarygin begins on January 24 and is the first Ranking Series for freestyle and women’s wrestling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 18, 2019

#CaptainAmerica

I love it!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 18, 2019

headgames here --Sadulaev definitely trying to get into Snyder's head

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 18, 2019

It is condescending.

They (he and his coach) found a achilles tendon in that position in which Sadulaev won by pin.

Sadulaev is engaging in manipulation. (Seems to be saying go ahead think about the loss some more as) I understand your condition.

Somewhere along the way, we shall meet again but I say when(but go ahead and brew on it for awhile)

In response to Snyder's let's do it, he comes back with approach with a cool head. And then suddenly the psyche suffers. Translated, Be a professional, don't do things for pride's sake as your ego is tied to your performance.

It wasn't very nice.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 18, 2019

agree ... i guess we will see if it works or not, how it all plays out-- athletes who are champions at the highest levels of competition in every sport have to overcome mind games- stay focused, disciplined, don't be detered by external noise.

Golf-- final pairing in the Masters or US Open, head to head, shot for shot, mental. NBA finals, what defender gets into Lebron's head? NFL, despite the noise around him, his doubters, his critics, his personal life, why does Tom Brady usually win the big games for 20 years?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 20, 2019

Gave this some more thought to fully understand.

The whole premise behind this veiled taunt is based upon the proximity of emotions.

Excitement is a close cousin to agitation and given the right circumstance will morph into it.

The quickest path towards agitation is to be excited about something but unable to do anything about it. Hence, the undefined future date.

Let's do it, tips your hand of your energy. Tipping your hand exposes you. Want to create confusion? blank expression. I know some of you guys have done this with your significant other. "Tell me what you are thinking" haha.

As Americans, our culture values excitement and instant gratification. A new toy, a different girl, the next time.

One thing I admire about Nuramagomedov and Sadulaev is their culture doesn't value excitement the same way as ours. They value an evenness of thought and expression over excitement. It ensures that their focus is always on executing their craft.

Kyle needs to focus on the details that will allow him to compete in a manner that puts forth his best performance.

FTR, I want Kyle to dominate Sadulaev something the effect of 4-0, but there I go tipping my hand.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 20, 2019

“One thing I admire about Nuramagomedov and Sadulaev is their culture doesn't value excitement the same way as ours. They value an evenness of thought and expression over excitement. It ensures that their focus is always on executing their craft.”

Truth. Putin comes to mind immediately.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 20, 2019

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"“One thing I admire about Nuramagomedov and Sadulaev is their culture doesn't value excitement the same way as ours. They value an evenness of thought and expression over excitement. It ensures that their focus is always on executing their craft.”

Truth. Putin comes to mind immediately."

yes, Putin plays Trump too-- however Trump says he knows more than the generals, lol.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 20, 2019

Oh brother.

...back on topic. I honestly don't see Kyle being anxious excited about the rematch, rather then he is excited about competing/testing against the best in the world - which Sadulaev is - and a guy that I think Kyle sees as a true rival.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 20, 2019

(i don't know where the trippling posts came from, i would have deleted had i seen it-- gremlins perhaps?)

i'm with Justin Hayes on this.. imo all comments welcome from intelligent people, after all i've seen this forum go day(s) without a comment at times, so bring it on.

i think its "headgames", the Russians are notoriously good at... witness election-interferance tactics using facebook.

Deven Dittrich added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

I think that Kyle Snyder is a great ambassador for the sport of wrestling in general. He seems to embrace that role and understands the power of social media and promoting the sport. The rubber match battle between Captain America and The Russian Tank at the tournament that bills itself as "the toughest in the world" would create a lot of excitement and good press for the sport. My take is that KS is trying to build that up. It appears that Sadulaev is more focused on just taking care of his own business of winning the 2019 Worlds/2020 Olympics rather than treating the fans to two titans colliding more than once per year. I appreciate Snyder's efforts; but, I can't fault Sadulaev for his approach.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

https://twitter.com/wrestling/status/1113782894831521793?s=21

► Add to the Discussion