Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: TOM OSU Team of 2000s
Kevin Mount added to this discussion on August 19, 2018

Was a little surprised no one posted about this. I thought it was well done. Any major additions or disagreements?

https://news.theopenmat.com/05-feature-articles/the-all-2000s-team-ohio-state/69012?utm_content=bufferfcc77&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 19, 2018

Good stuff although they might have it backwards at 174, 184 and 197. I do understand BoJo being ranked ahead of Heflin but Hef did such a remarkable job his senior season while Bo had some struggles (probably due to a never-ending string of injuries).

I would have put Pucillo ahead of MyMar based on the fact Iron Mike's title came against a future Olympic Gold Medalist in Varner. Also, we only have three years of MyMar to this point. Don't forget, Mike's loss his junior season came against Jake Herbert and it was competitive. Herbert was very dominant his last two years of college. Pucillo, of course, failed to place as a senior while competing hurt all season.

Same thing at 197--I'd have Bergman ahead of Moore. Moore is only a two time AA to this point while Bergman earned AA honors three times. Bergman's senior year at 285 he was dominant all season excepting his match-ups against another Ohio wrestler and NCAA champ, Dustin Fox.

Remarkable to think that Tom Rowlands, one of tOSU's all time greats and a 2x champ gets ranked #2 but Snyder is arguably the finest wrestler in collegiate history if you factor in his international career.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 19, 2018

My only change would be Keaton Anderson at 157. Had he not blown out his knee late in the season, he would have been an NCAA champ. He was a Midlands champ that year and beat Owen, Bertin and Becker in a two week span at the end of the season. No one could stop his high crotch, even when they knew it was coming.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

They should have put Bo at 165 where he was healthiest and at his best. Then putting Heflin at 174.

What's really amazing is that all the guys selected wrestled for Tom. There were a total 3 guys all on the second team that wrestled exclusively for Russ. Two more wrestled for both Hellickson and Tom.

Goes to show how far the program has come in the past 10+ years.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"My only change would be Keaton Anderson at 157. Had he not blown out his knee late in the season, he would have been an NCAA champ. He was a Midlands champ that year and beat Owen, Bertin and Becker in a two week span at the end of the season. No one could stop his high crotch, even when they knew it was coming."

how bout his CRADLE!? Keaton Anderson first team, imo -- at the NCAAs in KC, Anderson on a blown ACL cradled eventual champ Ryan Bertin in the semis but lost 3-2 or 4-3.

Then in an act of courage wr Owens from N Ill. for 5th on one leg and lost 7-4--- the ref actually stopped the match to ask Keaton if he wanted to continue. It was heartbreaking as he came into Big Tens on a long winning streak ranked No. 1 but suffered the ACL.

interesting note re Keaton career, he became dominate his senior year at 157 after going 141 then 149 for Buckeyes, he was cutting into pure muscle at the lower wts.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I would have put Pucillo ahead of MyMar based on the fact Iron Mike's title came against a future Olympic Gold Medalist in Varner. Also, we only have three years of MyMar to this point. Don't forget, Mike's loss his junior season came against Jake Herbert and it was competitive. Herbert was very dominant his last two years of college. Pucillo, of course, failed to place as a senior while competing hurt all season."

good points, its a tossup, edge to MikeP who beat future Olympic gold medalist for title and lost in finals to World silver medalist Herbert. MyMar could break the "tie" with big senior year.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

Pretty amazing that Tommy Rowlands, one of the best heavyweights of all time, is second team! That would not happen at very many other schools! Ha

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"My only change would be Keaton Anderson at 157. Had he not blown out his knee late in the season, he would have been an NCAA champ. He was a Midlands champ that year and beat Owen, Bertin and Becker in a two week span at the end of the season. No one could stop his high crotch, even when they knew it was coming."

I agree.

Intermittently when his name has come up I have searched for videos of him wrestling. Anyone have any links? I have tried youtube and general internet searches.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Pretty amazing that Tommy Rowlands, one of the best heavyweights of all time, is second team! That would not happen at very many other schools! Ha"

Which is why I boycotted this write-up.

Don’t @ me.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 20, 2018

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"Pretty amazing that Tommy Rowlands, one of the best heavyweights of all time, is second team! That would not happen at very many other schools! Ha"

Don’t @ me."

Which is why you had that Ex-Parte Protection Order against you as well...

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

This begs the question, who is the best wrestler on their school's 2nd team?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Don’t @ me."

Which is why you had that Ex-Parte Protection Order against you as well..."

This is true.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

Side bar question off the best of 2000's. What wrestler(s) could be in the running for the best wrestler to not be 1st team for the University (we can keep it to the 2000's time era)

Rowlands & Pucillo obviously have to be in that discussion.

Nashon Garrett - Cornell behind Travis Lee.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

McDonough at this point is a 1st teamer, but will be replaced by Lee soon, if not already. That would be a good one.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 22, 2018

Absolutely correct Luke.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next