Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ben Stehura out at Cleveland State
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-wrestl/2017-18/releases/20180323pfaa72

He tried hard but never got it going in 10 years as head coach.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

My sense is Cleveland State's administration does not support wrestling all that much and is content with even mediocre results. A shame, as the school is nestled in the first or second best region for high school wrestling in the country.

Recruiting was Stehura's issue. You cannot win at the D-I level with the caliber of wrestlers he was bringing into the program.

Let's stop the chatter now about J Jaggers hooking up with Cleveland State. Jaggers will get a much better job than CSU when he decides to be a head coach. If I'm CSU I look to another OSU assistant, Anthony Ralph, who lit it up at nearby Notre Dame before going to Columbus. He has an eye for second and third-tier talent.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

J Jaggers would make CSU attractive to the next coach.

J doesn’t need an already-established program in order to be successful. He’ll be successful wherever he goes.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

I feel really bad for Ben. He is a hard working guy who tried his best with what he has.
He was the coach when the administration decided to cut the team. That certainly had to take a toll.
Then he is coaching at a commuter school which makes the job even harder. As sad as I am to say it, I am not sure that anyone can make it work. Things are not the same as they were when Coach Bonnaci was at the helm.
I certainly hope for the best for the next coach.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Jim - makes me wonder if the admin will try to bring in a bug name from OH or a much lesser know guy at be happy with sub-par results.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Jim - makes me wonder if the admin will try to bring in a bug name from OH or a much lesser know guy at be happy with sub-par results."

I have no idea. I have heard, from a very reliable source, that the new AD is a wrestling guy. If so, maybe he isn't happy with the direction things have gone.
It will be interesting to see where the search takes them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Could be that they've decided to hand the program to Josh Moore. Recruiting has trended upward since he joined the staff. Cheeks big pin at EWL's was with a Moore move. Just guessing here.

Also, maybe Stehura had other opportunities to make a little more money and chose to take it?

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

I can't thank Coach Stehura enough. He helped me through one of the hardest times in my life. Not being able to wrestle created a huge hole for me. Coach allowed me to stay involved with the team as a team manager and it made it more bearable.

Can't remember if I've told this story before or not on here. I have a doctorate and graduated college with a 4.0....but I had nothing on Coach's intelligence. After one of my many surgeries, I was in his office lamenting the fact that I had gained a considerable amount of weight. I went on and on about how I just couldn't work out like I used to. Finally, he cut me off. "Brandon, Brandon, Brandon," he said...."Eat less." End of conversation.

If it wasn't evident before, I'm sure you all realized the amount of administrative support Coach had when they decided to drop wrestling. However, I am hopeful for the future. The new athletic director spoke to wrestling alumni at our mixer during the NCAA tournament. His wife went to Iowa and took him to wrestling matches there. He understands the sport and seemed supportive.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Wonder if the CSU administration is aware that EMU has dropped the sport. Maybe call Dave Bolyard. Could make CSU a landing spot for some of EMU’s displaced wrestlers.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Wonder if the CSU administration is aware that EMU has dropped the sport. Maybe call Dave Bolyard. Could make CSU a landing spot for some of EMU’s displaced wrestlers."

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Wonder if the CSU administration is aware that EMU has dropped the sport. Maybe call Dave Bolyard. Could make CSU a landing spot for some of EMU’s displaced wrestlers."

Give us your tired....your poor.... your All-American

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Those guys are getting A LOT of attention from coaches across the country.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Have no doubt Brady. Hearing anything on Tanner?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Talked to him a couple times. Beyond being po’d at situation he’s dong well. Gave some coaches his contact info (and Ryan Dickson got him into contact with another). Some of the team will land with other teams - if the admin continies with this course - but some probably won’t and will stay at EMU out of necessity.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2018

geting exciting vibes re candidates! if CSU picks one it wont be business as usual. i think great NCAA tourn here---record crowds, enthusiasm for the sport -- opened eyes as to job potential.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next