Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Updates
Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Bo destroys Smith and Moore takes down Rasheed. Now OSU with 8 top 6.

Huge morning tomorrow.

PSU definitely in the driver's seat, but OSU with an outside shot. PSU's big 5 all in the finals but IMar and Valenica with very legitimate chances to win, Myles not favored to beat Nickal but obviously can, and Hidlay with probably slightly more than a punchers chance against Nolf.

OSU down 11. If PSU wins 3 finals that's 23, Zane could get bonus, call it 25, and Lee and Nevills can pick up some as well. Need Eierman and Jack (who Mckenna needs to beat) to win. If Nevills takes 7th that's 26. Miklus needs to take out Rasheed. Snyder wins and that cuts it to 22 (though, I have to say, he looks a bit off to me and he'll need everything he's got to beat Coon). If all 6 in the consolation win (unlikely, but possible) deficit's down to 4. If 4 take third it's tied up. A bonus point or non-point can decide things. Of course, if Myles beats Nickal, plus IMar and Valencia wins that's an 8 point swing and suddenly the room for error on the back sides opens up.

Long story short, the chance is slim, but there's a chance.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Definitely a rough day for the Buckeyes. But it is a TOUGH tournament. Great to see Bo and Moore wrestle as well as they did in the consi's.

We probably need to get 3-3rd's 2-4th's and a fifth. NATO, Joey M & Moore can all finish in 3rd. If Bo wrestles as well as he did his last 2 that would be huge. Pletcher is seeded third so it is not out of the question to get 5-3rd place finishes. That should make some noise going into the finals.

Snyder needs to win which is no easy feet. Myles has done it before so a win at 184 is possible. On top of that... We will need some big time matches out of Hidlay, Martinez and Valencia. If PSU can finish with only 2 champs it would be huge for the Buckeye's chances.

Overall 8- AA's is pretty impressive. I have not given up hope and will be watching closely tomorrow morning.

Go Bucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Hidley is big, strong, feisty and undefeated, he may give Nolf more of a match than many think.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Hidley is big, strong, feisty and undefeated, he may give Nolf more of a match than many think."

I hope so. I'm just eating crow right now because I thought Micah could give him a match and, well, not so much.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"That was embarrassing. I've never seen Tomasello fight less."

You're embarrassing.

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"That was embarrassing. I've never seen Tomasello fight less."

You're embarrassing."

ZING!!!!!!!!!!

I think overall the great thing about this site is the perspective with which most of us post. Which in turn, when we have a negative comment we do a very good job of being honest but not disrespectful.

Calling a national champ/ 4 time All-American and all and all a great person embarrassing is quite offensive to most of us on this site.

I am sure 99.999% of this forum wanted Nate to win a title on his way out. It didn't happen. So, like Nate we must move forward and hope for a dominating 3rd place finish.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

I didn't see chocking - I saw guys getting beat. Using challenges early in tournament cost them as I think Joey Mck had that takedown.

I just want to see these guys get after it tomorrow. If they do, they'll do fine.

Did ya'll hear D.T. talk about this tOSU team? High praise - even after they had the bad start. He realizes, by experience, how tough it is to do what they are doing.

2 more AA's than EVER BEFORE.

Now, there is some critiquing can occur (mat wrestling needs to get better, I believe our scrambling can get better, etc.) and that's part of being a fan and the result of such high expectations.

I just cringe at words I see on twitter, yappi, and here like "pathetic", "(bleeping) joke", "waste", "choke", "brutal", "pathetic" etc. because I know how difficult it is to compete at that level.

Think about this: 24 guys seeded in top 8 didn't AA --including a 2x NCAA Champ, and a returning finalist - Bucks had 9 guys seeded in top 8. Only 1 (#5 in Hayes seed who lost to #4 and #2 seed guys) didn't AA.

What we hoped for, nope. Impressive - absolutely.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

They can score a ton in the morning, right? 6 in the consi semis. I’m not a bracket/scoring expert but I feel like it’s not over.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

I stand corrected. That was a poor choice of words. It was depressing rather than embarrassing. You can call me depressed for saying that.

I had just never seen that level of resignation to defeat from NaTo before. There was never a close chance of escaping in the first period, nor a visible effort to not get pinned at the end. I'll give Tomasello the benefit of the doubt and guess that he was sick/injured. It happened to Stieber when he lost to Retheford with the flu. He came back to be a world champion eventually. NaTo can certainly do the same.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"They can score a ton in the morning, right? 6 in the consi semis. I’m not a bracket/scoring expert but I feel like it’s not over."

No, it's not over. But Bucks need to almost be perfect and then need some help.

If you think we are sad at today, in the world of pumpkin pushers - Virginia was the #1 rated team in the country. Hadn't given up 70 points in any game this season with a 31-2 record. Playing UMBC (uh, who???) a team rated 174th that hadn't beat a major conference team since Nebraska in 2008. And they DESTROYED Virginia 74-54. First time in the history of the NCAA BBall tourney that a #16 seed beat a #1 seed.

Imagine their message boards. :)

Chris - yes, depressed is a better word.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 16, 2018

Great moogally googally.

#GoBuckeyes

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 17, 2018

I agree that we've all seen Nate wrestle better. My understanding is there's a last weigh in prior to semis? If so, that explains a lot. Asking a guy to shrink his body and then wrestle at peak effectiveness against one of the great young talents in the world is a bit too much. I think Nate took one for the team--and perhaps his career--by cutting to 125. My money is on him to win his next two and come back third.

Spencer Lee is likely to become one of the greatest wrestlers in Iowa history--maybe the absolute best. He is a force of nature and will only improve.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 17, 2018

While yesterday saw too many big matches lost, it felt good to see MyMar and Kyle advance and then Bo and Kollin look tough in the cons.

Bucks have twelve cons matches to wrestle and six wrestlers in position to finish as high as third. PSU has three bouts left--and will be lucky to win two of them. Then the finals. Imar over Joseph...Zahid over Hall...and MyMar over NoBickal.

Gentlemen--that's your path to victory.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on March 17, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 17, 2018

OK then, let's do it !!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 17, 2018

I just finished the semis on the DVR due to other commitments; excruciating to try and stay off of social media in order to not get updates.

The double screen matches are so hard for me to focus on, but I'm not sure there is an alternative for us cable guys.

Spencer and Suriano should be epic. Spencer has this poise in the way he carries himself that makes me think he has danced with the devil in the pale moonlight on many, many occasions...

NaTo. An immediate success and completely reliable and trustworthy in anything he decides to do. You're hired!

Why am I not excited about 133 lbs?

Yanni, Live at the Acropolis! He wrestles with the same flair that his namesake rocks that keyboard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4mNXuU7-E

There was a moment after the match where Heilmann limped to the middle similar to someone who had been in a noteworthy car accident.

I remember when Daniel Kolodzik snatched the bottle from his hand and took the last drink of elementary aged Matthew Kolodzik's punch flavored Gatorade at Jordan's; Matthew cried, Dr. Kolodzik yanked a knot in Daniel, and I laughed.

Nolf is simply more skilled than Michah...and everyone else. No shame in that.

Man, I'm growing to love The Bull. And I think there is bad blood churning, hidden way under the surface of good sportsmanship, between IMart and Cenzo.

I'd appreciated it when Hall didn't look for opportunities for poster poses. Regardless, that's some deep magic he possess...

MyMar vs. Bo. No comment.

What an inspiration Conel's run has been!

Hank, I chose Coon for strategic reasons, nothing more. My thinking:

It isn't enough for The Champ to be perfect tonight. Coon has to be less than perfect for that 60 lbs to be overcome.

On that note, my hope is that I can type #TheChampIsHere! with a smile on my face tonight after The Champ whips Coon.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next