Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Who Are The Next Superstars?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 29, 2017

Bucks have a boatload of accomplished recruits arriving in next few years including:

Fall 2017:
Frosh: Ryan Ferro, Ethan Smith, Zach Steiner, Jamar Williams, Kaleb Romero, Brakan Mead, Jamien Hood, Brakan Mead, Chase Singletary

Transfers: Dayton Racer, TeShan Campbell

Fall 2018:
Frosh: Gavin Hoffman, Jaden Mattox, Malik Heinselman

Bucks huge success in recent years has been with Home Run recruits Snyder, BoJo, Nato, Micah and MyMar.

Are there any guys listed above who you feel are that caliber? Or, perhaps more appropriately, do we have some Kollin Moore's arriving--guys that are undervalued with huge upside?

Who among these recruits will arrive at the level of a Luke Pletcher?

Just interested in discussing this group.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 29, 2017

Great question! Not sure there is a clear-cut way to tell. However, in an unscientific stab, you mentioned Brakan twice, so I'll go with him. :-)

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 29, 2017

Hank/Niemann,
Have you heard any inside info on McKenna being a possibility? If so, does he fit immediately and where? With Hayes coming off of Injury RS for 141 and Micah at 149 I'm just not as certain of a fit as I've seen posted elsewhere. If he leaves Stanford I just see PSU/Lehigh being a little better fit for him.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on May 29, 2017

Kaleb Romero will become an AA contender after his red-shirt season without a doubt if healthy. He has barely touched his true potential as wrestler due to his commitment to football. People look at his match at the all star classic as a negative however, I see a kid who got in on multiple doubles against the number one kid in the country. Being in the room with BO, Myles, k-Moore, and Snyder will help tremendously. He will improve on his technique, intensity, and his conditioning from now until next year. Remember I called it first, you won't find a better athlete than Romero.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 30, 2017

Chris: I agree with everything you've said about Romero. I see him as the recruit with the most potential although I think he'll need to adjust. His match with Labriola was not a negative.

Just not sure who among the rest of recruits is ready to step in and win immediately. I like the size of the class and the depth. But it's going to take a lot of good coaching to get these next two classes to a place where they can keep Ohio State among the top four teams in the nation.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 30, 2017

Romero is clearly the pick to come in and impress, a la Kollin Moore, but I think people are sleeping on Chase Singletary. It seems to me he's ranked where he is (and has been for a long time) for a reason. #1 ranked guys from Blair Academy have a pretty good track record in the NCAAs. He literally has the best training partner in the world and he has a full year to learn from him while he builds his body.

Also, it's amazing (and appropriate) that the standard is so high. AA contention for every starter, regardless of age, is the expectation. Think that Tommy Rowlands was tOSU's FIRST 4X AA. That is now the expectation for every freshman coming in that expects to wrestle. Welcome to The NEW Ohio State University.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 30, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Romero is clearly the pick to come in and impress, a la Kollin Moore, but I think people are sleeping on Chase Singletary. It seems to me he's ranked where he is (and has been for a long time) for a reason. #1 ranked guys from Blair Academy have a pretty good track record in the NCAAs. He literally has the best training partner in the world and he has a full year to learn from him while he builds his body.

Also, it's amazing (and appropriate) that the standard is so high. AA contention for every starter, regardless of age, is the expectation. Think that Tommy Rowlands was tOSU's FIRST 4X AA. That is now the expectation for every freshman coming in that expects to wrestle. Welcome to The NEW Ohio State University."

well said. Thank you Tom Ryan.

► Add to the Discussion