Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nemesis: Your Story
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

Who (in competition or the practice room) was your nemesis?

While not as compelling as others, mine was L. Al-Samkari from Oakwood.

He was super friendly, chatty, and definitely a better wrestler than me.

Small DIII DCS and small DIII Oakwood seemed to have nearly the 70% of the same schedules and fed into the same Sectional and District Tournaments. (Which seemed to be common for DIII SW in the 80s-90s.)

I was a consistent 4th seed, with an occasional 3rd. He was nearly always the 1st seed and a multi-time State Qualifier.

If my math is correct, at least 7 of my losses where to him; I didn't stand a chance.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

NIEMANNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

Jared Weinfurtner of Athens. I wrestled him every year from the 8th grade on, I never came close to beating him. super nice guy though.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"NIEMANNNNNNN!!!!!!!"

One-hun!

:-D

Kevin Cleveland had me early on (Frosh/soph years).

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

Chet Cochran from Milan Edison. Pinned me my freshman year in district finals and again in the district semi my junior year.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Chet Cochran from Milan Edison. Pinned me my freshman year in district finals and again in the district semi my junior year."

Was he better, just had your number, you made a mistake, etc?

John Ice added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

The scale!

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 25, 2017

I learned about 15 years ago why maintaining a serious nemesis is just no good.

There was a young man I wrestled three years in a row in high school. I simply couldn't figure him out; it was always 5-3, 4-2, 6-4...over an over. Three times at key moments in the post-season. Other times in key tourneys. The last meeting was in my senior post-season when he handed me my first loss of the year, leading to my 17 year old meltdown and downward spiral at districts, leaving my goals fizzling out.

So easy to blame someone other than yourself! I always felt like he didn't wrestle me straight up, always stalled, always whatever. And even though I wrestled in college and exorcised most of my wrestling demons, I always had a stick up my ass about this guy. My blood would boil just a little, up until I saw his coach at a tourney. I was probably 29?

I said, partially chuckling, "how's my boy? F him and his stalling."

His coach went on to tell me how this young man married, had kids and was enlisted in Special Force. That his service was something that broke him and that he ultimately took his own life in his backyard. This nemesis of mine left a wife and kids.

I realized what an idiot I had been, to put so much thought into something that really, really didn't matter. That this guy had gone through so many other things, and that my privilege of being able to go to a nice 4-year college, get my degree, drink a little beer, cut a lot of weight and have extra energy left to worry about this guy. Oblivious to reality.

So, what I do, whenever he crosses my mind, I try to learn a little bit more about veteran suicide. Or reach out to someone that served. Or ask my wife a question, as she's worked with veterans for over 20 years. Really, just try to expand what I know.

So, sorry to get in the feels on a wrestling discussion board. I've never really voiced this, but hey, it's the Dot Net. But, you asked....

► Add to the Discussion