Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ethan Smith
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

We have barely mentioned him but he is a Buckeye commit that they flipped from ISU's class and a solid prospect. Watched his 3rd place Super 32 match on Flo last night and am excited he's coming. He is a 3rd high caliber recruit along with Singletary and Romero plus the Steiner kid from Norwayne. Interestingly, he and Steiner are about the same size with Romero and transfer Campbell being almost as big.

Also worth noting is fact that InterMat no longer has the twins from Wisconsin mentioned as part of Ohio State's recruiting class. Perhaps they're no longer coming?

Bucks will be bringing in a sizable group of middle to upperwts this fall. Talent development will be key to success for this group. And while that sounds like a cliche, Bucks have to prove they can do it consistently.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

pretty consistent already Hank imo -- in 11 years i think Ryan only once out of top 10, the past 2 years 3rd & 2nd

only Penn st more consistent winning 6 of last 7 (lol, of course there are always the "consistently bad" teams)

Bob: Bucks have struggled to develop non elite kids although there are plenty of successes. Romero is the only prospect in this group I feel is elite. Singletary has great credentials but he is not yet a D1 heavy. Hence my comments.

As for Tom Ryan's successes, I think my "Dear Tom Ryan" thread makes clear that I agree with you. He has done the job he was hired to do. Over the last three years, they've exceeded expectations.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

i welcome your points Hank --- and to discuss.

Kolin Moore a one time div 3 champ with no fargo is a kid Ryan & staff developed, BIGtime developed. Pletcher blue-chip but he has come along fast after being thrust into action at perhaps not his ideal wt. Myles Martin last year too.

i like Singletary, with a RS year. Attacks lower legs well, wont be a big hvwt maybe 6 ft 2, 235 but will be skilled. ....If Blair doesnt burn u out they will make u a champion (to paraphrase Neitzche)

Ryan 3 times team 2nd place, once first- not bad- ohio st had never taken 2nd before he came. i'm not all rose-colored glasses, lol, but im thankful he came here. However improvement always can be made as u suggest.

John Ice added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Ohio State gets a lightweight verbal from state runner-up Jaimen Hood (Mason, Ohio), projected 125/133 with upside potential #d1wrestle

Josh Lowe put this out today.

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Ohio State gets a lightweight verbal from state runner-up Jaimen Hood (Mason, Ohio), projected 125/133 with upside potential #d1wrestle

Josh Lowe put this out today."

Your 125 pound starter for next season? Nice move by Bucks.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Your 125 pound starter for next season? Nice move by Bucks."

Forgive me for being lazy and not looking it up, but does he have National credentials that I'm not aware of? If not, (no disrespect to Hood, because I was a 1X runner-up myself), but he's likely not the answer for 125.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"

Forgive me for being lazy and not looking it up, but does he have National credentials that I'm not aware of? If not, (no disrespect to Hood, because I was a 1X runner-up myself), but he's likely not the answer for 125."

I don't know of National credentials I know he beat nationally ranked Kazmir of Eds in the Semi.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Have Brakan Mead (2nd, 3rd, 1st from Liberty) or Gio DiSabato (6th, 4th, runner-up from Hilliard Davidson) committed yet?

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

"Have Brakan Mead (2nd, 3rd, 1st from Liberty) or Gio DiSabato (6th, 4th, runner-up from Hilliard Davidson) committed yet?"

Good questions.

One kid that I think could be a big college 125 sleeper is Zach Shupp from Fairfield (runner-up D1 106 as a junior). Superb athlete (soccer, baseball) that has never wrestled in the summer. Wants to wrestle in college. If he focused all year on wrestling for a couple years, I think he could be special in college.

"

"

Forgive me for being lazy and not looking it up, but does he have National credentials that I'm not aware of? If not, (no disrespect to Hood, because I was a 1X runner-up myself), but he's likely not the answer for 125."

I don't he's ready to start. I'm just not sure what happens with Rodriguez. My guess is he cuts again but the results this year were mixed. He had some very good moments but was inconsistent. That's why I mentioned Hood as a potential starter.

Personally, I like Tyson Long from Shaker. Great kid. Good student. Big at the weight. Powerful. And hasn't even scratched the surface of what he can do. Split this year with 3rd placer Logan Heil. Beat the eventual 7th placer 9-3 in first round before hurting his back during state quarters against Disabato (I think Tyson was winning 2-1 at the time). Plus Shaker wrestlers have a history of performing well for the Buckeyes. Will Knight, Kore Sharpley and Corey Morrison all arrived in Columbus with modest credentials, became multi year starters and had solid careers. All of them overachieved. Put Long in a room with Nate Tomasello and watch him become a monster. Of course he has to be interested....which I can't answer.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

"Personally, I like Tyson Long from Shaker. Great kid. Good student. Big at the weight. Powerful. And hasn't even scratched the surface of what he can do. Split this year with 3rd placer Logan Heil. Beat the eventual 7th placer 9-3 in first round before hurting his back during state quarters against Disabato (I think Tyson was winning 2-1 at the time). Plus Shaker wrestlers have a history of performing well for the Buckeyes. Will Knight, Kore Sharpley and Corey Morrison all arrived in Columbus with modest credentials, became multi year starters and had solid careers. All of them overachieved. Put Long in a room with Nate Tomasello and watch him become a monster. Of course he has to be interested....which I can't answer.[/quote]

+1 wow yes great idea

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 23, 2017

NATO is back down at 125 next year, we'll have plenty of time to develop whomever we land.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 23, 2017

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"NATO is back down at 125 next year, we'll have plenty of time to develop whomever we land."

Liam: has this been confirmed somewhere?

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 23, 2017

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"NATO is back down at 125 next year, we'll have plenty of time to develop whomever we land."

Liam: has this been confirmed somewhere?"

Not officially.
Word on the street is that after he drops for freestyle he's staying put.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next