Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

tOSU isn't a bonus scoring team like PSU. tOSU can compete with them in a dual but are at a disadvantage win a tournament format.

I agree with those who believe that NaTo should be able to pick his weight.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2017

I would be shocked to see NATO drop to 125. But that is the only way tOSU wins the NCAA tournament next year in Cleveland. This would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I acknowledge that it would take a lot to go right for the Bucks to knock off PSU next year. But....

How many of us honestly thought they could win the B1G tournament this year????? I didn't. But they did, proving that it can be done. There is no doubt in my mind that the Bucks will have the potential to do it. By know means am I saying it is a lock, but definitely a punchers chance.

Michael, I love when you take a hardline stance, because in recent memory your opinion has been wrong, so this gives me some optimism moving forward.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 28, 2017

Pat...Glad to help. That said...

I get that I'm wrong a lot. My life is a testament to that fact...but I'm just looking for some intellectual honesty. Ohio State wrestled brilliantly at Big Tens (and Nationals, really), but the reason they won is because Penn State got ZERO points from their 125. He would've likely been runner-up at Big Tens and NCAA champion two weeks later. Take away one of Ohio State's heavy hitters, they don't compete for the title, let alone win it like Penn State did.

Jack Muni mentions Martin's wins over Bo Nickal. Those are real. No one can take them away from him. But if we're going to talk about Martin's wins over Nickal, we should be honest about comparing the two wrestlers. Bo Nickal has had a better career (so far) than Martin. We're talking "levels of greatness" here, but it seems pretty clear to me. Both have one title and one All American finish. The titles are a push, Martin's being head to head, and Nickal's besting a 2X defending champ. Their other finishes were 5th and 2nd, respectively. Advantage Nickal. Winning percentage, advantage Nickal. Dominance, Advantage Nickal. Even head-to-head, Nickal is up 3-2, I think.

Anyway, Martin has shown he's the only wrestler in the NCAA that battle with Nickal and win. But let's not act like Martin owns him.

Finally, it's the point that Dwight makes that is undeniable. Penn State's bonus points are the difference. Even with the six potential finalists that Hank lists Ohio State could put on the mat...so can Penn State (Suriano, Retherford, Nolf, Joseph, Hall and Nickal). History tells us they will score significantly more bonus points. Advantage PSU.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 28, 2017

I hate to say it but I think Michael is right. I did some quick math, and even at tOSU's best based on brackets from the 2017 tournament:

NATO 1
Pletcher AA (likely would have if held on and beat Ashnault)
Micah 3
Bo 1
MyMar 4
KM 2
Snyder 1

tOSU is still roughly 15 points behind a 125less PSU team.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 28, 2017

I believe M-Rod is correct.

I want to be clear. I'm not hating on the Buckeyes. I like this team a lot...and what's not to like? Great wrestlers (and by all accounts great young men) up and down the line up. Almost all of them wrestle an aggressive, attaching style that's fun to watch. They seem to care about each other and they are tremendously successful (a runner-up, a third and a championship in the last three seasons). There's simply no downside with tOSU wrestling right now.

Recognizing that Penn State is a clear step ahead (or two) isn't a knock on Ohio State, it's a testament to how good Penn State is.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 28, 2017

I could not disagree with you more, Michael. We contest well at every weight, other than 149 and 157, and will be favorites in 4. Micah will figure out how to get out, or at least not get turned; don't forget that he has taken Zain down multiple times. If Jake gets healthy and finds a gas tank he can keep it at a decision with Nolf; don't forget that Jake was competing well with the big dogs rather nicely last year. Campbell is a solid transfer and Romero's ceiling is sky high; Joseph can and does get beat and is not a bonus point machine in any fashion. I think we split matches with them easily and on a good day we take 6 of 10. The question is can we keep the bonus points out of the equation. Only time will tell....

Spoken like a true fan.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 28, 2017

This past season Joseph beat Campbell 9-5 (not too bad) and Valencia beat him 9-2, again, he was competitive. I heard in a post State Tournament interview Romero said he is having some sort of surgery on his right arm, so maybe a RS year will be the best for him in the long run. Campbell seems like a great pickup for the Bucs.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 29, 2017

Personally I see wrestling as both a team sport and an individual sport. It's great to win a national championship but to be honest I have gotten as much enjoyment watching Kyle's feats and Logan's championships. To be honest I feel I would be the happiest to see 10 champs all from Ohio regardless of who they wrestled for or an Kent State or OU championship. I don't feel NATO has gotten his true due. Three time Big champ and has only lost two matches in three NCAA tourneys. IMO the young man deserves to wrestle any weight he wishes. He's an all-timer. And don't tell me that's not a team player. We have all seen how large weight cuts affect certain wrestlers. It also seems to me that when large weight loss is involved the risk of injury goes up. So in short dropping to 125 could have the opposite result everyone wants. No guarantees. There's more to life than national championships.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2017

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"Personally I see wrestling as both a team sport and an individual sport. It's great to win a national championship but to be honest I have gotten as much enjoyment watching Kyle's feats and Logan's championships. To be honest I feel I would be the happiest to see 10 champs all from Ohio regardless of who they wrestled for or an Kent State or OU championship. I don't feel NATO has gotten his true due. Three time Big champ and has only lost two matches in three NCAA tourneys. IMO the young man deserves to wrestle any weight he wishes. He's an all-timer. And don't tell me that's not a team player. We have all seen how large weight cuts affect certain wrestlers. It also seems to me that when large weight loss is involved the risk of injury goes up. So in short dropping to 125 could have the opposite result everyone wants. No guarantees. There's more to life than national championships."

Stop reminding the rest of us to think like adults.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on April 26, 2017

Which scenario scores us more points at NCAA's next year?

A
125- JRod
133- NaTo
141- Hayes
149- M Jordan
157- Burcher/Racer
165- Campbell
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Moore
285- Snyder

B
125- JRod
133- NaTo
141- Pletcher
149- Hayes
157- M Jordan
165- Campbell
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Moore
285- Snyder

C
125- NaTo
133- Pletcher
141- Hayes
149- M Jordan
157- Burcher/Racer
165- Campbell
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Moore
285- Snyder

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 26, 2017

Option "A" is the only option.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on April 26, 2017

I like C

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 27, 2017

Because of Zain's top skills, I like Micah's match-up better with Nolf than Zain. Micah at 157 - if he can get big enough, may not turn out bad.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next