Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: My thoughts on the B1G Championships
Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"I think Massa actually beats IMar "

Umm. Nevermind.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

125- I was impressed by Piotrowski.
133- Like everyone else, I thought Nato wrestled very conservatively. Don't know if he wasn't feeling well or is banged up or what. Where did his high crotch go? I didn't think it would be that close with Clark.
141- I have always like Javier Gasca, not surprised he was able to put together a tournament like that. Big 10 is weak at this weight. Also, not surprised by the meltdown of Gulibon. #overrated
149- Great match by Mic to beat Sorenson. He jumped a level by that victory. He legitimized himself as on of the best 149s in the country. Zain is Zain. One of the best of all time. Big step between him and everyone else at 149, no revelation.
157- Nolf dominated even the second best guy in the county. Still I think he had a bit of a down tournament. Am I expecting too much?
165- Isaac has no offense. Big problem. IMAR's 6 point move had my jaw on the floor.
174- Bo proved to me he can be a national champ. I wasn't sure until he beat Hall.
184- Toughest weight in the country, IMO. Nickal looked as dangerous as ever, but there are so many great guys in the race for 2nd place.
197- No surprises for me. We all knew Moore could do what he did. I know Moore can beat Pfarr again. I'm not as sure that Pfarr can beat Moore again. I feel like Kollin figured him out yesterday.
285-Again, no surprises.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Review of Jason's predictions:

[quote="Jason L. Jackson"]125 – Jose Rodriguez

Prediction – 7th place and a he’s a qualifier (Gilman over Lambert for the title.)

Perfect

133 – Nathan Tomasello

Prediction – NaTo over Clark, 7-3

Perfect

141 – Luke Pletcher – 5 seed –
Prediction – 3rd, with another win over McCrystal

Very close, took 4th.

149 – Micah Jordan
Prediction – 3rd, with bonus in every match but the semis.

Very close, took 2nd

157 – Jake Ryan –

Prediction – 10th and no qualification

Perfect.

165 – Cody Burcher
Prediction – 8th, and no spot at NCAAs, just like last year.

Perfect

174 – Bo Jordan

Prediction – Bo uses his ridiculous hips to fend off and counter a Hall shot, rides him hard and wears him down, and wins 4-3.

Perfect

184 – Myles Martin –

Prediction – Martin takes 3rd over Dudley. (Nickal over Jackson by fall.)

Very close, took 2nd

197 – Kollin Moore
Prediction – Pfarr wins again, which screws Moore with the 4 seed at NCAAs.

Very close, took 1st.

285 – Kyle Snyder – 1 seed – Pin, tech, major, major. STUD!!!!!

Perfect

Pretty impressive. I am thinking that Jason may be a dark horse winner in the NCAA Pick'em contest.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Some thoughts on the tourney...Obviously, tOSU program had a great weekend. I felt like everyone wrestled to their potential...a rare feat for an entire team.

125 - I don't know what Rodriguez's future looks like with the Buckeyes with Tomesello back next year and with Pletcher and Hayes on the roster, but when the book is written on him, it should say he took one for the team and did a hell of a job for a freshman in the Big 10. His season should be considered a success. Very happy to see him get an AQ spot.

133 - I think Tomesello wrestled fantastic. This is the Big 10. You're not going to run through everyone. He got Clark's best on Sunday and came out ahead. I think the three below him (Gross, Brock and Clark) are right there and on an off day can beat him. If everyone wrestles their best, Tomesello is your NCAA champion.

141 - What can I say about Pletcher? He has had an incredible season, and it's not over yet. I don't see him reaching All American, but I didn't see him having as successful a season as he has had. 141 is down in the Big 10, but he's been strong out of conference as well. It would not shock me at all for him to make the round of 12.

149 - Jordan is going to finish in the top six. I think the win over Sorensen all but guarantees him AA status. I don't think he'll fizzle like last year. He's right there with 2-5 and leaps and bounds better than 6-20. For the record, I don't think Retherford is 15 points better than Jordan (all evidence to the contrary). It's a match up problem or a mental thing. Jordan has shown he's right there with guys that are right there with Retherford.

157/165 - Jake Ryan has a rough year. If it's an injury, then the staff should come out and say so. If it's not then changes should be made. Cody Burcher is a serviceable wrestler. A long term commitment to him may yield an All American finish down the line. Maybe he is the answer at 157?

174 - Great win for Jordan. When I watched the bout in real time, I though Hall was the better wrestler, but after watching it a couple more times, it's just a contrast of styles (and Hall's my taste). Jordan wore him down with strength and size and positioning and a fantastic shot in OT. Unfortunately, I think he ends up the 3-seed and, while a win over Realbuto isn't out of the question, my guess would be third again. Has anyone ever finished 3rd four times?

184 - Martin was unbelievable in the semis. Yeah, he came back to earth in the finals, but he has THAT MATCH in him. I don't see anyone beating Dean, but Martin made the case that he can make the finals...and once you're there, who knows???

197 - Moore is everything unrealistic homer Ohio State said was going to be and more. He's a sure fire All American, he's a National Championship contender and he's a freaking freshman. The shy's the limit for this kid.

285...I think people are starting to forget or at least look past the size difference that Snyder deals with. There are weight classes for a reason. Ten pounds would be the difference in a match between equal wrestlers. He's giving up 40. He dominates NCAA champion level wrestlers giving up 40-50 pounds. It's ridiculous.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

"

"I think Massa actually beats IMar "

Umm. Nevermind."

IMar is just a force of nature.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Not one Ohio State wrestler placed below seed. I'm fairly certain that no other team can say that.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

The wrestling was fantastic but it will also be the last time I let Mark Niemann be the navigator. I think we saw every trout creek in Indiana!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Michael:

I fear that you are in danger of becoming a BUCKEYE fan!

Naw, that can't be true!

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"Michael:

Naw, that can't be true!"

Nope, but what's nice is I'm not a "fan" of any other team either. So I'm able to recognize the achievements of Coach Ryan and his wrestlers without loyalty for some other program getting in the way. This team is what Ohio State should've always been. They are aggressive and offensive. They're smart and mat savy. They have great technique and are hard nosed. They sacrifice for their team and set (and achieve) high individual goals...and they're going to be even better next year.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"Michael:

Naw, that can't be true!"

Nope, but what's nice is I'm not a "fan" of any other team either. So I'm able to recognize the achievements of Coach Ryan and his wrestlers without loyalty for some other program getting in the way. This team is what Ohio State should've always been. They are aggressive and offensive. They're smart and mat savy. They have great technique and are hard nosed. They sacrifice for their team and set (and achieve) high individual goals...and they're going to be even better next year."

I agree!

But, in my heart, that is what they have always aspired to be, but now they are doing it! Kudos to Coach Ryan for a great job. Hopefully they can repeat an 'almost perfect performance' in St. Louis in two weeks.

A lot hinges on Suriano. If he's in the lineup and close to 100% for Penn State it's going to be hard for the Buckeyes to make up that difference. The bigger bracket also gives those Penn State heavy hitters a couple extra rounds to put up bonus and pad their lead.

But if Suriano's injury is like Schlatter's from a few years back...if he's a non-factor, then this is a dogfight with tOSU having as good a shot (or better) than anybody.

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

The 165 from MSU, Drew Hughes, is a BEAST on top. I watched three of his matches, including one with Isaac Jordan, and nobody came close to getting an escape. He chooses top, and it seems like it is impossible for his opponents to stop him from throwing the boots in and riding them for the whole period.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Good comments all around...and congrats to JLJ for nailing the placements.

I agree with Mike. Nate had an excellent tourney defeating Micic and Clark. Micic belongs in that bunching with Clark, Brock and Gross as this is a tough, deep weight. Opponents understand what Nate wants to do and some are well built for denying him points. He's also small at the weight at least in terms of height. I don't think it's realistic for him to score at a high pace against the top grouping. As long as he scores a few times and keeps his opponent on the defensive, he's dmn tough to beat. I also think competing against bigger guys for a few years will prepare him when he cuts back down a weight for freestyle.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"The 165 from MSU, Drew Hughes, is a BEAST on top. I watched three of his matches, including one with Isaac Jordan, and nobody came close to getting an escape. He chooses top, and it seems like it is impossible for his opponents to stop him from throwing the boots in and riding them for the whole period."

You know Reed, I had never heard of this kid but he rode Burcher & Isaac J. out. He is very, very tough on top. Mich State didn't have much to cheer about, but this kid is super tough on top.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Shout out to my boy, Shep-Diggity-Dawg, who I dedicate this post to...Straight Outta Orab!

I appreciate the announcing of Tim Johnson and Jim Gibbons. The Shane Guy makes me feel like I'm about to get AmWayed.

Speaking of interviews: All of the Hawkeyes sound like Stepford-Brands after their matches. Metcalf, Ramos, Gilman, etc. Thousand yard stares, 20 clicks in the Danang, had to survive by eating sand and crawdads and hydrating themselves on the tears of their enemies, want to wrestle aliens, King Kong, etc.

Anyone else notice that Dwight from State Farm was absent the dot.net in direct correlation to his coaching responsibilities at B1G?

Providence favors Nato. I don't recall him wigging out during an unfair exchange, being shoved into the scorer's table, anything.

I'm thinking about picking Ashnault as my Dark Horse Champion this year...

While I am fully committed to loving M-Rod into the Ohio State fold and know that his wrestling acumen is orders of magnitude better than mine, I don't think Micah is anywhere close to beating Retherford.

Nolf, Retherford, and Nickal all seem like fighters in a video game that have very distinct fighting styles..."Finish Him!"

Speaking of Micah, I remember when he and Bannister would go live at JJ's camp.

Jason "The Matrix" Nolf is the perfect moniker. At the beginning of the season I couldn't decide if I enjoyed watching him or Nickal more; I clearly prefer him now.

Over and over Imar powers through his opponent in and from positions that you think "Nah, can't be done from there..." which consistently reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlyDkpYHR70

I agree with SAC Kornblut: On face value, Brands made a tactical error by RS Marinelli this year.

Mark Hall seems so small for 174 lbs...and Bo so big.

I think my best cost/benefit pick for the 2017 Pick'Em might be MyMar but if they (whoever this mystery "They" is, much like "The Church", "The Government", "The Police", etc.) make a Roadhouse 3, I'd cast Sammy Brooks as the lead bouncer. Pure, unadulterated mulletude with trailer park tats to match...one of my favorites!

Kollin Moore = Navy SEAL.

Medberry was darn impressive (Mass x Acceleration = Force)...and Snyder handled him masterfully.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next