Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Burn Out
Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 20, 2017

Knowing that there are a lot of former, and current, coaches that take place in discussions on this site, I am curious to know how you combat burn out in wrestlers by season's end.

Obviously, the guys that have real big goals, like a state qualifier or placer, have the internal motivation to push through any burnout, however, what about the fringe kids?

We run into this problem every year. It seems like when February hits, a lot of our kids are ready to be done. This year is especially bad because the season is longer and the weather is nice, which make kids thing it should be spring time.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 20, 2017

Train through it!!!!!!!

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 20, 2017

Doing something other than wrestling together such as laser tag etc... It allows the kids to be loose and have a good time while bonding with the team.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

Cael and the fellas play a lot, and I mean A.LOT. of dodgeball.

Shorten practices, vary styles of practices, give off days, especially on weekends with no competition, etc. I think much of this depends on make-up of the guys on your team.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

The fringe kids don't have the same desire to excel. They like being on the team but aren't crazy about all the work it entails. As others mentioned, make it fun when possible. Tell jokes....give prizes for winning silly games, etc...

But also ask them to know their role. Tell them their job is to get the most dedicated guys as prepared as possible. Ask them to help their teammates attain their goals.

That's all I got.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

I always thought changing the environment to train worked well. I took kids to title boxing classes. I tried to get them into local community center pools. Perhaps bringing in other schools to mix up who they roll with. Its a battle, thats for sure.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

Are we talking about third tier starters or JV guys?

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

don't underestimate the power of a guest clinician/speaker. I found many times during my career I would feel slightly complacent. Always seems around that time I was being introduced to a new perspective to wrestling. All it could take is for these individuals to see someone who came from where they are now and achieved something great, or someone to show them a "cool" move to get the re invested. Just my thoughts good luck!

Matt Mace added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

Slightly off topic but I think it ties in. A coach has to decide where the program is at. If the program isn't a top tier team, in a building/rebuilding phase, it benefits from numbers and should be all inclusive. If the program is a top tier (subjective interpretation), it needs to be more selective. Warm bodies don't help a program like this. Athletes or participants that aren't super dedicated can hurt a program and morale. A few lazy training partners can affect the whole room. An honest assessment of the talent of the team can help you determine if you want numbers or a smaller group of more dedicated athletes.

The challenge in high school is that there is often a mixing of the two which causes burnout in my opinion. Too much difference in skill levels. This can be helped by taking the talented kids to a better room a few times per week, or vice versa, taking the less talented kids to a room not as challenging a few times a week.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

Last week I played a guided relaxation, visualization, and mental imagery tape at the end of practice. The guys loved it and can't wait to do it again.

► Add to the Discussion