Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Well???
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Friday, February 3rd, 2017
Penn State @ Ohio State

125: #2 Nick Suriano PSU TF #18 Jose Rodriguez OSU, 19-4 (TF; 7:00) / 5-0
133: #1 Nathan Tomasello OSU TF George Carpenter PSU, 22-7 (TF; 6:01) / 5-5
141: #11 Jimmy Gulibon PSU dec. #15 Luke Pletcher OSU, 5-3 / 8-5
149: #1 Zain Retherford PSU TF #5 Micah Jordan OSU, 20-5 (TF; 7:00) / 13-5
157: #1 Jason Nolf PSU pinned Anthony DeCarlo OSU, WBF (1:36) / 19-5
165: #4 Vincenzo Joseph PSU md. Cody Burcher OSU, 11-1 / 23-5
174: #7 Mark Hall PSU pinned Justin Kresevic OSU, WBF (5:21) / 29-5
184: #2 Bo Nickal PSU dec. #10 Myles Martin OSU, 8-2 / 32-5
197: #54 Kollin Moore OSU dec. #9 Matt McCutcheon PSU, 9-6 / 32-8
285: #1 Kyle Snyder OSU md. #3 Nick Nevills PSU, 19-9 / 32-12

Attendance: 15,338

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Clicked on PSU's site to read the news...

Penn State CRUSHES Ohio State.

Eek!

Reading through a few posts on FloWrestling's Facebook post-match submission. Whoa!!! Ruthless.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

I like the 15338 number. Always a silver lining?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I like the 15338 number. Always a silver lining?"

No argument that 15K+ is a big number. But I am not so naïve to think all were there for Ohio State. Let's give PSU 1500. That still leaves close to 14K for tOSU. Hopefully, any of those who made the trek of an hour or more will be willing to return. Many left unhappy.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

If you can be objective and not a fan of tOSU for a moment, you have to respect PSU. They bring it. In your face, attacking, trying to score points the entire 7 minutes, from every positions. They attack you on their feet. They don't try to escape from bottom, they try to put you on your back from bottom. Every wrestler wrestles with the same Penn State brand/personality. So much better and more entertaining then the Iowa style, that was just in your face, pushing you around the entire match. It starts with recruiting, but they are doing something in that room that produces that style and personality. It is impressive.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"If you can be objective and not a fan of tOSU for a moment, you have to respect PSU. They bring it. In your face, attacking, trying to score points the entire 7 minutes, from every positions. They attack you on their feet. They don't try to escape from bottom, they try to put you on your back from bottom. Every wrestler wrestles with the same Penn State brand/personality. So much better and more entertaining then the Iowa style, that was just in your face, pushing you around the entire match. It starts with recruiting, but they are doing something in that room that produces that style and personality. It is impressive."

Well said. I spent a year and a half trying not to like Bo Nickal and now I concede he is just a pleasure to watch. I think Myles wrestled him tough too. And ditto for Nolf.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 5, 2017

I don't understand how anyone who loves the sport of wrestling could not love (or at the very least respect) what Penn State does on the mat. From the moment Coach Sanderson arrived at PSU he has implemented a program of recruiting, developing talent and creating a culture that the rest of the nation can't keep up with. Coach Sanderson went there with the idea that the rich recruiting ground of Pennsylvania combined with the state's flagship university combined with his unique standing in the wrestling community would wake a sleeping giant and shift the balance of power in college wrestling. He was right.

I'm not a Penn State fan, but I watch them any time a can, because it's always great wrestling. I would argue that one of the main reasons The Schott had 15,000 people in it Friday night was because a lot of wrestling fans wanted to see the best team in the country perform.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 5, 2017

If you are a HS coach, I'd encourage you to take your team to one of their camps ... and then talk to all their wrestlers about why the love wrestlIn there. Then talk to their coaches and ask about their coaching philosophy and practice routine.

I fully realize what they are dealing with talentwise is far different than what any of us are, but the philosophy and be adjusted to meet HS needs. I did my last three years coaching -- numbers went up, enthusiasm went up, injuries went down, and my better guys developed faster. Downside was my beginners didn't improve as fast so I'd make more adjustments if I ever ran a program again, but what they do is impressive.

Reece Humphrey told me once that the most fun he ever had wrestled no was at the 2011 World Championships because Cael was on the team. He said something to the effect of, I know understand why their guys have so much fun wrestling.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 5, 2017

It will be interesting to see in 20 years if Sanderson is remembered more for 159-0 and Olympic gold, or for his incredibly successful coaching career.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 8, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"It will be interesting to see in 20 years if Sanderson is remembered more for 159-0 and Olympic gold, or for his incredibly successful coaching career."

Great observation.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 8, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"If you are a HS coach, I'd encourage you to take your team to one of their camps ... and then talk to all their wrestlers about why the love wrestlIn there. Then talk to their coaches and ask about their coaching philosophy and practice routine.

I fully realize what they are dealing with talentwise is far different than what any of us are, but the philosophy and be adjusted to meet HS needs. I did my last three years coaching -- numbers went up, enthusiasm went up, injuries went down, and my better guys developed faster. Downside was my beginners didn't improve as fast so I'd make more adjustments if I ever ran a program again, but what they do is impressive.

Reece Humphrey told me once that the most fun he ever had wrestled no was at the 2011 World Championships because Cael was on the team. He said something to the effect of, I know understand why their guys have so much fun wrestling."

Can you share any specifics of what you learned and implemented from Penn State? Since it's clear that the Penn State staff has hit on a superior training philosophy I'm curious why no one else is trying what they do. Maybe it's coaches just doing what they know rather than trying new things?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 8, 2017

How long did Cael coach at Iowa State? I don't remember them being half as good as PSU.

Ryan Mitchell added to this discussion on February 8, 2017

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"How long did Cael coach at Iowa State? I don't remember them being half as good as PSU."

It's amazing how good a coach gets when he has the best athletes!
That said, it's a credit to him that he can land those top kids from his own back yard and elsewhere and get really good kids to stick around to build depth.

Also, I cannot NOT link to this with the thread title...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 8, 2017

Iowa's recruiting ground is not nearly as fertile as Pennsylvania...and what they do have goes to Iowa not Iowa State. I thought he won a couple Big 12 championships though. Regardless, the move to Penn State happened at the absolute PERFECT time for Coach Sanderson. Penn State had Wright and Molinaro already there and Ruth already recruited and David Taylor made the move with Coach Sanderson (along with Andrew Long). One red-shirt year and you've and he's winning National Titles.

► Add to the Discussion