Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Randomness: Your Thoughts?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 16, 2017

I want Suriano to beat Gilman...can/will he?

Prior to his loss, I thought NaTo should beat Clark; should I have?

Please forgive my perspective, but every time I watch Zain I think, "I suspect in his heart of hearts he has the same spirit and intent toward his opponent that an axe murderer would have toward his victim...he absolutely wants to destroy him."

Can Micah make the finals?

Help me to understand what it is about Massa that causes me to believe that HE believes that it is irrelevant what his opponent does or doesn't do as he will score? Am I way off to believe he can beat IMar?

IMar, Massa, Cousin Isaac, Vincenzo (coolest first name this year). What weight class is the toughest?

BoJo vs. Valencia. I am concerned...should I be?

Dean vs. Nickal. Who wins? I think MyMar continues to build momentum and places high. I want Sammy Brooks to get more air time. The Mullet Interview was legendary.

And on that note, are there any guys more fun to watch than Nickal and Nolf?

The Bonus Points factor is huge for PSU, but it seems their secret sauce is that they seem to genuinely enjoy wrestling both as individuals and as a team.

I'd love for K-Moore to hit Beast Mode again and beat J'Den. Jus' Sayin'

And anything else you want to post. :)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 16, 2017

My son is currently 8-13 on his 7th grade wrestling campaign. I'm glad he's wrestling.

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

@Mark, if it's any consolation, I was 3-27 as a 7th grader following 6 winless seasons from first through sixth grade :)

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

I have many of the same questions and thoughts.
A few more:
I don't think Dean Heil will repeat.
I think Bo can beat Valencia
I wonder who wins in the room between Bo and Myles
I'm really excited for Big10s. It's close. Bloomington. Anyone going?
I'm thankful that dot net is one of the few sites not blocked by Chinese censors. While traveling I need an escape back to US from time to time.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"My son is currently 8-13 on his 7th grade wrestling campaign. I'm glad he's wrestling."

Great job!
All that matters is he's having a good time!
Have him read Brandon's post.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

"@Mark, if it's any consolation, I was 3-27 as a 7th grader following 6 winless seasons from first through sixth grade :)"

That is awesome that you stuck with it over 6 years until you won your first match! How many people would do that?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Justin Hayes...good stuff.

I completely agree that I want to see Suriano beat Gilman...I'm not sure it's going to go that way though. As much as I don't like is antics, Gilman is an excellent wrestler.

Tomesello is the best 133-pounder in the the NCAA. I think Brock is also excellent, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Clark or Richards make the final to face Tomasello.

I think Zain Retherford is the wrestler Dan Gable would like most in the NCAAs this year.

Yes, Jordan can make the finals.

I agree that Massa thinks he can beat Martinez. I don't agree that he can...at least not in the NCAA finals.

IMO, 184 is the toughest bracket, followed by 133 and 165.

When you pose the questing about being worried about Jordan vs Valencia, I think you're right on. Honestly, I would put Valencia as a slight favorite as of this moment.

Dean/Nickal??? Dean.

Nickal and Nolf are a blast to watch. They're super active and creative and always looking to score. Retherford looks to dominate just as much, but more conventional. Penn State is what happens when you recruit PA and the nation better than anyone else.

Moore is a huge addition to this squad...I likely 4X AA with National Championship goals that are realistic. To get that kind of recruit from your home state is larger to tOSU than the some of it's parts. You need the blue chippers, the Logan Stiebers, the Jordnas...but you also need the guys like Nick Heflin, like Kollin Moore. Kornblut is always talking about coaching up second tier talent...Kollin Moore is what that looks like...Very good for the program. That being said, Cox win 197 this year.

Niemann...Great to hear your son is on the mat. I was never "bad", but I had lots of .500 season before I started winning, and I had a lot of winning seasons before I got "good". Wrestlers (and people) blossom at their own pace. Enjoy the journey.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Watching Bo Nickal, he reminds me of one of the all time great Ohio HS wrestlers, John McGhee. He's all hips and dares you to attack him while constantly looking for big moves....Nate Tomasello wrestles like a fist that's pounding you in the face no matter where you go or what you do....I met a wrestler yesterday who'd been a multiple state placer in high school while competing for University School. I remembered that there was one guy he just couldn't beat. I asked him who it was and he said "David Taylor." I said--"Oh, well that's just not fair" and he agreed and then we both just started laughing...Gilman will beat Suriano the first time they meet but it will help Cael and Suriano to make adjustments. You never want Cael picking apart your style. Ask Dustin Kilgore...I don't think Logan Massa will ever beat IMar when it matters but Imar is capable of dropping a dual...Kemmerer can give Nolf a really hard time. If Kemmerer locks his fingers he can finish a shot and Nolf will let you get in on his legs. That said, I'll take Nolf when it matters...Zain Retherford is a saner Brent Metcalf...Logan Stieber, Kyle Snyder and Nate Tomasello may go down as the three greatest wrestlers in Ohio State history. Appreciate what you're watching.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Hank,

Weren't you an English major? What happened to paragraphs?

As for Micah Jordan being a finalist, I am not quite so sanguine. In some of his recent matches he has gotten stuck in unproductive positions in the first period. As the match progresses he does build up a head of steam but against some of the top wrestlers at 149 I think he will definitely need to finish those first period takedown attempts in order to defeat the likes of Sorenson and Collica.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

This year's NCAA championship will be won or lost by overachieving or underachieving AAs slotted between 4-8. Should be a dynamite race to the finish. Realistically, 7 of the 10 weight classes have very strong favorites with the exception of 133, 141 and 174 (until we see Bojo healthy on a regular basis). Heil would be a strong favorite but he simply has a deep field and too many close calls for me to give him that tag. Round 12 and the consi semis have never been more important than they will be this year.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Bruce...It's funny you mention Collica. He's one of the major reasons I think Jordan can make the finals. When I look at the two of them, I think Jordan is the better wrestler. I'm sure it's "Ohio bias". Watching them both from 9th grade on, I've always thought that Jordan had more skill, talent, will and upside. If Collica can make the finals, then I feel like Jordan can too. Am I wrong on that?

Btw, this isn't meant as a slight on Collica. I think he's amazing too, as his career attests.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Bruce:

I attended the Bob Preusse school of Journalism. The curriculum encouraged creativity when it came to sentence structure and punctuation.

M-Rod: Yes, you get the Kollin Moores and Cody Burchers and coach them up. Unfortunately, this philosophy has been ignored when it comes to 125 pounds. As a result, the Bucks are in a terrible spot both now and for next season. With J-Rod* fading, the Bucks have no one to put out there for duals. That means either forcing J-Rod to continue to take the mat or forfeiting. I don't think it's fair to ask a wrestler to keep competing when it's obvious that he can't. And he's not to blame for his struggles. We're all only capable of so much before our bodies break down. There are wrestlers on D1 rosters at 125 pounds who prepped in Ohio (The Assads come to mind). One of them should be in the Ohio State room. I know they have these twins coming in next season. That's a start. But the Bucks desperately need to add at least one more decent 125 prospect to next year's recruiting class.

*Always the possibility that another explanation exists for why J-Rod has had two horrible outings. Please don't take my assumptions for facts.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

1. Yes, Suriano can beat Gilman but Gilman is on a role this year. He is dismantling good D1 competition. I wouldn't bet on Suriano.

2. Yes, I believe NATO is the best 133lbs in the country. The move up to 133 has really helped his style. He is a relentless attacker but lost a bit of that last year because of the weight cut (imo). He looks much more like freshman NCAA Champ NATO to me this year.

3. Yes, Micah can make the finals. If you look at common opponents by transitive property, Micah beat J. Oliver from CMU twice by pretty big scores. Sorensen needed overtime to win.

4. Massa has experienced success at all age levels. He isn't used to losing. That's why he believes he can win. And, he can. But, like at 125, I wouldn't bet on it. Imar is extraordinary in all positions.

5. Yes, you should be concerned about BoJo v. Valencia. Valencia is a wizard on his feet - attacking all different areas of the body with precision. BoJo has given up offensive points this year to wrestlers far inferior to Valencia.

6. Dean probably wins but I will nto count Nicakl out of any match. He goes big - both to his advantage and peril.

7. You hear it everywhere - Penn State kids love to wrestle for Penn State and Coach Sanderson. He is doing everything right. That's why elite kids are likely taking less money to wrestle for him.

8. I do not think Moore can beat J'Den or Pfarr. I do think he is in the hunt for #3 and should finish no lower than 6. However, the bright lights can intimidate young wrestlers. I still love his chances to AA.

9. I think Heil will repeat but his margin for error at the NCAA tournament will be thin. His matches from the 1/4 finals on (if not before) will likely be very tight. That's just the nature of his style.

10. I think Bo beats Myles in the room but that is pure speculation.

11. I am exctied for B1Gs as well. Brandon and I will be there. Just got our tickets in tOSU section today!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"8. ...However, the bright lights can intimidate young wrestlers. I still love his chances to AA."

Competing in the Jr. World Championships helps. A lot.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"8. ...However, the bright lights can intimidate young wrestlers. I still love his chances to AA."

Competing in the Jr. World Championships helps. A lot."

Very good point. Up to now, KM has looked poised and experienced. I am not worried about him and believe he will find the podium with a chance to place high.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next