Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Whoa - Pletcher out of RS
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Was Bo better last year as a sucked down 65 or would he have been better as a healthy 74?

I don't know the answer, but strength at 74 certainly would not have been an issue.

Don't think strength at 33 was an issue for Nate, either.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

I agree that Pletcher's output will be lower than at 133, but I expect him to be a NQ and have similar results as when Enright was at 141.

My point was it's worth a year of his career, as he would burn one anyway. Wrestle him now, RS him next year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Understood that 141 is not Pletcher's ideal weight. But the team needs a solid wrestler with Hayes out. Pletcher is the next man up.

David Brown added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

To Michael's question I think wrestlers cut to a lower weight or sometimes go up a weight for competitive advantages. I am not doubting 133 is more optimal for Pletcher but it is not more optimal for the team. My point was that I don't think going up a weight is as herculean a feat as we sometimes think. Again, 4-8 ounces of muscle a week (or even a little more at his age)can be added reasonably. He can grow into the weight, with some understandable struggle in the initial weeks.

To Michael's question I think wrestlers cut to a lower weight or sometimes go up a weight for competitive advantages. I am not doubting 133 is more optimal for Pletcher but it is not more optimal for the team. My point was that I don't think going up a weight is as herculean a feat as we sometimes think. Again, 4-8 ounces of muscle a week (or even a little more at his age)can be added reasonably. He can grow into the weight, with some understandable struggle in the initial weeks.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

I would have to side with Rod on this one. Just because you get four years of him as a starter isn't always a good thing. A year up a weight could not do well for his confidence.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

It might be a legitimate concern, but do we really expect Ryan to put out a sub-optimal lineup just to minimize the risk of Pletcher's confidence taking a hit?

The team is chasing a national title, and you're not losing a year of eligibility by making this move. No-brainer IMO, particularly if Pletcher is eager to step up to the plate (which I expect he is).

This conversation feels eerily familiar.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Quote from David Brown's post:

"This conversation feels eerily familiar."

I agree, and I hope it works out similarly for Ohio State fans. I think where things go wrong in the conversation is that fans feel like anything less than full throated support is being an Ohio State hater...and honestly, I'm just talking wrestling on a forum.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from David Brown's post:

"This conversation feels eerily familiar."

I agree, and I hope it works out similarly for Ohio State fans. I think where things go wrong in the conversation is that fans feel like anything less than full throated support is being an Ohio State hater...and honestly, I'm just talking wrestling on a forum."

LOL! You are always welcome to be honest as long as I'm around.

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Obviously this is not plan A for the Buckeyes.
Hayes being out for the year stinks. I personally have been excited for his talent since he signed. And although a small sample size have been very encouraged with his results.

I am equally excited about Pletcher and without a doubt, he would benefit from a redshirt. But being in the room he is in, with an excellent staff and the fact anything can happen when the postseason arrives I have to believe based on what happened last year the Coach Ryan and his staff know more than us.

I believed Hayes could have been a 5-8 AA.
I am optimistic Pletcher can be a round of 12 guy, maybe better we shall see.
Either way, it is a very exciting time to be a Buckeye fan and if Jose can continue to wrestle like he has and pull off a top 6 this move might be what the Bucks need to win another title.

Obviously a lot can happen, someone can get hurt and someone will probably lose that nobody saw coming.

All that being said, Go Bucks see you Thursday night!

Quote from Patrick Niemann's post:

"...I believed Hayes could have been a 5-8 AA.
I am optimistic Pletcher can be a round of 12 guy, maybe better we shall see."

Just so I can understand the fan's mentality, how do you think Tomessello would do up at 141? Top six? Top three? Would he win it? Would he dominante?

Top 3

Well, just talking on a forum here, but right now you've got Tomessello as "top three" at 133, right? Why not put Tomessello at 141. Pletcher would certainly do better than round of 12 at his optimum weight. Then you'd have pletcher finishing 6-8 and Tomessello placing top three. It's a net gain.

Michael
Where do you think Nate would finish at 141?

I did not say Pletcher would be a round of 12 wrestler. I said I was optimistic he could be.
Mostly because Tom Ryan was in this spot last year and made the right call, even though the Bucks did not win a title. They did well however and would not have had the finish they had.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next