Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Whoa - Pletcher out of RS
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/120516aab.html

Sounds like Hayes is out for the year. The depth in the lower weights will immediately pay off.

Will be exciting to watch Pletcher but I feel for Hayes.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Wow. Big loss for the Bucks but Pletcher is a terrific talent. Hope Hayes is able to recover. Since he only wrestled a few times, my guess is he'd be eligible for a medical redshirt.

Pletcher had a quality win at 133 over Keener. How he fits in size wise at 141 will be interesting to watch. Bottom line--he's tough and should be competitive for Ohio State.

One interesting aspect of Pletcher to 141 is that he's got a different build from most of the major talents at 141. This could be helpful as he grows into the weight (ie: lifts weights).

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Wow! Didn't see that one coming...

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Wonder what happened? Hayes looked good at KSU. No apparent injury that evening? Talk about thrown into the fire, wow. My concern is the jump to 141.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

On the "makes sense" front, you wrestle Pletcher this year, then RS him next year with Hayes back...then he takes over at 133 in 18-19 with Tomasello's graduation. You get four years of starting out of him instead of three.

Sucks for Hayes...he's one of my favorites so far, hopefully he recovers quickly and is back next year en force. He's a stud.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

There's a big difference between moving up a weight in between seasons like Tomesello or The Jordan brothers did and bumping up a weight class in season. If you're a 133-pounder, it's hard to expect success at 141. There are weight classes for a reason. Add to it the fact that he's a true freshman and it sounds like a bad call to me.

Ohio State faithful will recall that I thought pulling Martin and Snyder's red-shirts was a mistake as well. We all know how that worked out for the Buckeyes. Maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle again?

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Rod---I actually just texted you.

I think it is a win, win...b/c if they don't pull it, they waste a year of Pletcher's productivity. Unless my math is wrong.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

I get that Nicola, and I don't disagree. I just think he'll struggle to be successful as a tru-frosh, up a weight. Does that mean Coach Ryan shouldn't pull the red-shirt? Not necessarily. He's probably the best option.

Think of the best freshmen in tOSU history: Logan and Hunter Stieber, Tessari, Palmer, Bergman, Randleman, Rowlands, Tomesello, Bo Jordan, Martin, Snyder...I'm sure I'm missing some. Now, put them in as true freshman AND up a weight. What does Palmer do at 157? Martin at 184? Bergman at heavyweight? Obviously Tommy Rowlands has no weight class to move up to. My point is, it's a tall order.

I'm guessing Hayes got hurt in practice.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

If Ohio State is going to be "all in" for a trophy this year, it's a move they have to make. There is not another kid on the roster that can viably compete at 141 pounds with Hayes hurt.

We'll see what Pletcher can do. Frame wise he is small for the weight class, and it's a log jam there depth wise in terms of even hitting the round of 12.

I would think Pletcher now redshirts next year unless there is some plan that involves other lineup shifts.

Hayes will have to petition for a sixth year on the back end of his career, as he has used a regular redshirt already.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

My two cents: Is 8 pounds that big of a difference? So Pletcher is cutting fewer pounds and wrestling strong. Especially in duals.

David Brown added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Never understood the "big for the weight, small for the weight" arguments. We weigh what we weigh. I do understand strong or weak for the weight. 8 pounds is a gallon of milk. A good trainer can add a half pound of muscle to an athlete per week. Bucks will beef him up.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

I guess we should be glad this happened in Dec. and not Feb. Pletcher will at least have an outside chance of improving/adjusting in the next three months.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

This is not an anti-OSU thing, and certainly not an anti-Pletcher thing, but come on guys...If moving up weights was such an easy thing to do, if eight pounds didn't really make a difference, then why do people cut? Why was Jaggers a 141-pounder? Because he was better at 141 than he would have been at 149. Why did Logan Stieber cut to 133 for two seasons? Because it gave him the best chance to be successful.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on December 6, 2016; edited 2 times in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next