Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Can Ohio State Win It Again?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 4, 2016

Top six talent at every weight except 157 and 165...and those guys have upside. Can they take out PSU? Okie State? Iowa?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 4, 2016

Moore beating Smith of West Virginia is a very good result. That's a top ten win right there. I think he's a round of 12 type and we go from there.

Rodriguez had a nice tournament, best wins were over top 20-ish types in Kramer and Fleetwood. Losing close to Dance is very good, but it's still a loss. He has potential to be a round of 12 type, but I want to see more sample size.

Hayes is ranked 12th right now in a VERY DEEP weight class.

The big five is obvious.

I think Penn State wins the title by year's end. The talent level speaks for itself. Oklahoma State and Iowa, along with Ohio State are the most likely other trophy teams (Virginia Tech will make their argument too).

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 4, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Top six talent at every weight except 157 and 165...and those guys have upside. Can they take out PSU? Okie State? Iowa?"

Obviously, it's a long season and anything can happen, but the short answer is yes.

Andrew Waldron added to this discussion on December 4, 2016

They need to be healthy. Seem that several wrestlers have a heavy bandaged leg. If all can be healthy and have the weight under control then they might win NCAA team championship.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Quote from Andrew Waldron's post:

"They need to be healthy. Seem that several wrestlers have a heavy bandaged leg. If all can be healthy and have the weight under control then they might win NCAA team championship."

Good point, Andrew!

Health and depth are always huge factors in the way the season turns out, Specially the first two weeks of March. There have been several years in the last 5 when I thought we had the talent to win championships and major duals, but the injury bug would jump up and take out major wrestlers for us, leaving big holes in the lineup.

I was amazed that OSU would be capable of winning the CKLV for the first time since 2012, without 3 starters, two of which would have been top-seeded in their class. OSU would have won by 50 points if Kyle, Bo, and KeShawn were wrestling.

I know that VT was missing one stud, but it's clear that OSU is very tough this year. - I am looking forward to the Missouri meet, and hopefully we are healthy and 'fully stocked' for that one!

I believe that Hank stated on this web-site about a month ago, that OSU could have a shot at 8 AA's this year. After the CKLV (assuming they are all healthy in March), we could see possibilities in: Jose at 125, Nato at 133, KeShawn at 141, Micah at 149. Bo at 174, Myles at 184, Moore at 197, and Kyle Snyder at 285.

I don't think that any of those are a huge stretch, considering how young they are, and how much they can develop between now and Big Tens.

Jose's only two losses have been to past AA's in Dance and Cruz, and both were extremely close. KeShawn's only loss is to past AA Jack. And, Myles and Kollin's losses over the weekend were to AA type guys. - When you are only getting beat by AA's, you know that there is talent there!

Also, Jake Ryan and Cody Burcher are competitive and young. I look forward to their development and improvement also. This really makes for a solid dual team this year.

And, there's not a senior starter on the team. - The future looks bright!

Good Luck, Buckeyes.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"...I believe that Hank stated on this web-site about a month ago, that OSU could have a shot at 8 AA's this year. After the CKLV (assuming they are all healthy in March), we could see possibilities in: Jose at 125, Nato at 133, KeShawn at 141, Micah at 149. Bo at 174, Myles at 184, Moore at 197, and Kyle Snyder at 285.

I don't think that any of those are a huge stretch, considering how young they are, and how much they can develop between now and Big Tens..."

While I agree that none of those is a stretch, I think that all of them together is.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

...but, in Ohio State fan's defense, I thought depending on three freshman a few years back was unreasonable and they ended up taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd and won the team title.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on December 5, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"...I believe that Hank stated on this web-site about a month ago, that OSU could have a shot at 8 AA's this year. After the CKLV (assuming they are all healthy in March), we could see possibilities in: Jose at 125, Nato at 133, KeShawn at 141, Micah at 149. Bo at 174, Myles at 184, Moore at 197, and Kyle Snyder at 285.

I don't think that any of those are a huge stretch, considering how young they are, and how much they can develop between now and Big Tens..."

While I agree that none of those is a stretch, I think that all of them together is."

I respect your opinion, Michael. And perhaps some things have to go right. like favorable draws at the NCAA. But, I think its possible.

No one early tournament can be completely indicative of what happens in March. However, I generally feel that if you can finish top 4 at the CKLV and stay healthy, you should be able to AA with a reasonable amount of luck! (The one major exception to that was last year when Micah won his class at CKLV, but fell short at NCAA's.)

While I haven't counted the entrants this year, there are generally over half of the teams in D1 Wrestling in this tournament.

That said, that covers Jose, Nato, Micah, Myles, and Kollin. - I think that we can agree that Bo and Kyle are capable to AA if they are healthy, since they have both done it twice.

That leaves only KeShawn on that list of 8. He might be more of a stretch than the other 7 because he hasn't proved it yet at the highest level. - I guess that I am taking a little bit of a leap of faith on him, but I think that he is capable. Yes, I am looking at potential at this point, but I believe it's possible. His only loss so far has been to a past AA.

I wouldn't totally count out Jake and Cody from developing over the season and sneaking into the top 8, but that is less likely at this time. - For these two, it would be more hoping and dreaming, rather than logical and rational extension.

One last comment from the CKLV. There have been a lot of great champions there over the years, and I think it's ironic that Micah is on a very short list of wrestlers that have won championships there in their first two years at the CKLV, yet he had a very substandard NCAA's last year (for him). - I guess it just goes to show that everyone has a bad day sometimes, and I expect better things for Micah in the future.

► Add to the Discussion