Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State at the EMU Open
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

The Buckeyes kick off their season today at the EMU Open. You can follow the action on trackwrestling.

Some notes from the brackets:

125 - No Rodriguez. Hope it's not a weight issue.
133 - No NATO, but Pletcher is wrestling. Micic the favorite, Keener is good as well. Both on bottom. I think Pletcher makes the finals.
141 - No Hayes.
149 - Micah is in the bracket. Justin Oliver, Zac Hall and Steve Bleise are also there. Tough for a minor tournament.
157 - Ryan is there. Heffernan the 1 seed, Griffin (Purdue) the 3. Good competition for him.
165 - Burcher (2 seed), Kresevic and Cleary all there. Massa will wreck the field.
174 - No BoJo.
184 - No Myles (obviously). Rozema the 3 seeed.
197 - Moore is the 2 seed. Lefever (who beat Courts last year) the 1 seed.
285 - Traub, Caldwell and Fox (!) are all in the bracket.

On a side note, what happened to Tav? Hurt for the year or will he be back?

#GoBucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

In the "Holy Crap" department, OSU 3rd stringer Brendan Fitzgerald PINS #2 seed from Central tsun Cory Keener. He was down 6-0 at the end of the first. Not sure how it happened but the CMU twitter account confirmed it.

#GoBucks

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"In the "Holy Crap" department, OSU 3rd stringer Brendan Fitzgerald PINS #2 seed from Central tsun Cory Keener. He was down 6-0 at the end of the first. Not sure how it happened but the CMU twitter account confirmed it.

#GoBucks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJMiLPV4P8

Bucks are probably still trying to decide how to proceed at 165 so this tournament has implications for Burcher, Kresevic and Cleary.

At 285, Tav has not yet been sighted this season. They're gonna be hurting in duals if he's not on the mats. My early sense of things is that Traub is small but game while Caldwell has not shown much yet. Josh Fox may also be an option. Loved that guy they had a few years ago, Ray.... can't think of his last name. That young man wrestled like he was on fire in spite of being undersized.

Did they seed at EMU? Appears they didn't.

Luke Welch and Steve Micic will meet in the quarters at 133. That's arguably the top two guys at the weight. Pletcher will take on Ashland's tough Mike Labry in quarters. Good test for Pletch and should tell us a bit more about his collegiate potential.

Perrysburg's Mario Guillen advances to quarters as well as a member of the Ohio U squad. He'll have the winner of Pletcher and Labry.

If Pletcher wins this tourney...beating the likes of a Micic...or just gives Micic a really good match...Tom Ryan's head is going to really start spinning.

Not going to panic that J-Rod isn't wrestling....but I'd feel a lot better if he was.

Bucks Fritz Schierl is the guy going unmentioned at 165. He was a pretty solid hs wrestler and just lost 11-1 to Logan Massa. 11-1 to Massa isn't awful as he's going to beat a lot of guys a lot worse.

William Danforth added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"In the "Holy Crap" department, OSU 3rd stringer Brendan Fitzgerald PINS #2 seed from Central tsun Cory Keener. He was down 6-0 at the end of the first. Not sure how it happened but the CMU twitter account confirmed it.

#GoBucks"

I've seen Brendan wrestle a lot. If I had to guess, he used a cement mixer for the fall.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Guillen beat Eicher from MSU who I believe was a NQ last year and is ranked 19. Pretty good result for his first ever college match.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Where is Ryan Harris? Injuries have prevented the former two-time state champ and top-100 recruit from showing his college potential. There's no room for him in the starting lineup, but it would be nice to see him succeed on the open circuit.

Also, someone said Pletcher planned to certify at 125. Is that still in the works? Clearly, he's not there yet, but assuming Pletcher can wrestle well at the weight, I think it improves the lineup. He had inconsistent results in high school, but when he was good he was really good.

My attention is on Kollin Moore. Is he big enough to bang with the top guys at 197? We'll have a better idea after this weekend. He could wrestle the D-III champ.

No reason for NATO, BOJO or Snyder to risk injury by competing in a relatively-weak open tournament. Wish Rodriguez and Hayes were entered though.

Guillen v. Pletcher in the semis!
Fitzgerald with ANOTHER PIN and he'll face Micic in the semis.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Pletcher dominated Labry. Pletcher was always attacking and that was good to see.

I know these are outmatched opponents, but I'm glad to see Micah scoring from top.

Not sure what's going on with Jake Ryan right now. Down 6-3 to a guy from Northern Illinois.

Burcher with another pin and, ouch, Jake Ryan loses 7-4. Ugh.

Jake's opponent looks like a kid with upside:
http://www.niuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4347

Sh-t happens.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Micah will get to wrestle Oliver from CMU in the finals; a great early season opportunity.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next