Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Coaching Wrestling: A Discussion for All
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 4, 2016

These are a few of the things I have been thinking about that I want to throw out there to read your ideas on...

What are some methods you use or your coaches used to make (non-youth) practices fun? We all know wrestling is a grind and we work hard or we're not for long in this sport, but keeping things fun is essential to keeping the new kid who is trying wrestling, especially at the middle school level. (Last year, I had 17 seventh and eighth graders -- and nobody dropped out, we actually grew after Day 1. We sent ten of those seventeen up to the high school level. At a school where each class has about 35 boys, I'm happy with that, but want to continue building.)

What are some unique things you've done with your teams?

What's the best fundraiser you've ever been a part of?

What are some methods you get youth (especially very young) wrestlers to be focused and drill what is being taught instead of just doing whatever they want when they get split off from the group? Do you split youth practices into groups by ability levels?

What are your thoughts on youth wrestlers competing? All of them, from kids who live it to kids who are still learning a drop-step.

What instance do you remember as the most fun you've ever had with a wrestling team? (Or one of the most, or a few of the most, if you want.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Coaching Wrestling: A Discussion for All
Tony Jameson added to this discussion on November 5, 2016

Pretty cool post! I'm on the run but I wanted to post a quick reply to some of your things as I've begun tackling these things myself. I find the best way to begin keeping the little ones on track is to make them all hit it in steps until everyone seems on the same page. I believe it slows the practice down enough to where they "know" your keeping an eye on everyone. Ron Burnett used to make us grab an ankle and hop around until someone pushes you over or breaks your grip on your one ankle. Still to this day it's the funnest game and teaches great balance. All kids should always compete every single weekend! On a literal note I believe once the child's asks on his own to compete then it is certainly time to dive in!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion