Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Daton Fix is...
Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 15, 2016

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I don't know anyone who thought Taylor would be a 125 didn't he wrestle 135/140 his Sr. in HS.

Here are a couple of 125 lifers.

Megaludis -PSU
Gillman -Iowa
Waters -Missouri
Dance -VT
Lambert-Nebraska
Peters-Northern Iowa"

James, I know it happens, I just don't think it's all that reliable of a thing to predict.

Taylor did wrestle 135 his senior year... but as of his junior year, he was still 112 and people were suggesting he might even struggle to grow into 125.

I don't really have much of a point to make here, just that I think if I were recruiting a guy, I'd always try to factor in the chance that he might outgrow the smallest weight. I'd be willing to bet that at least one of the two (Fix and Lee) doesn't spend his whole career at 125.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 15, 2016

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I always meet the "career 125" prediction with a question mark at this point. It's a bit rare, and very difficult to predict. A few examples of Ohio kids predicted to be career 125s: David Taylor, Logan Stieber, Nathan Tomasello.

Who knows what happens with Fix a few years into his career."

I don't know anyone who thought Taylor would be a 125 didn't he wrestle 135/140 his Sr. in HS.

"

Taylor was 112 his Junior year. At Fargo he wrestled 98 in 2006 and 105 in 2007. I believe Dake was in the same bracket at least one of those summers.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 15, 2016

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I always meet the "career 125" prediction with a question mark at this point. It's a bit rare, and very difficult to predict. A few examples of Ohio kids predicted to be career 125s: David Taylor, Logan Stieber, Nathan Tomasello.

Who knows what happens with Fix a few years into his career."

I don't know anyone who thought Taylor would be a 125 didn't he wrestle 135/140 his Sr. in HS.

"

Taylor was 112 his Junior year. At Fargo he wrestled 98 in 2006 and 105 in 2007. I believe Dake was in the same bracket at least one of those summers."

I guess my point was I don't remember Taylor being recruited to be 125 regardless of what he wrestled in HS. When he signed with PSU they had him projected at 157.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 15, 2016

Flo has implied that Fix is still trying to decide.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Flo has implied that Fix is still trying to decide."

While I would think that bodes well for the Buckeyes I've got a feeling he's going to be a Cowboy. I'd call it 65-35 right now. Hometown loyalty for a kid that's always been believed to be a John Smith disciple has to be big. For the Bucks to win out over that is something of epic proportions. Clearly the kid is struggling with the choice and I really feel like it's down to the 2 choices.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

Let me say this before Fix makes his announcement, so no one can accuse me of crying sour grapes. I've never been in the type of situation he is in, but he is setting himself up for criticism. I think Fix is getting caught up in being chased and all of the attention that has come with waiting to announce. Why wouldn't he go to the Cowboys? Much like Lebron's decision, if he chooses another school he'll be castigated by the Okie St fans. If he does decide to wrestle for John Smith, I'll wonder if he was being a tease for ego sake.
I personally like the way Spencer Lee handled his recruiting better. No nonsense.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

I'd find it surprising if he didn't go to Oklahoma State

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

In fairness....it's a tough decision. He's being recruited by some outstanding programs.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

Mace,
I agree with your observation on how Spencer Lee handled his announcement. When he was ready to make his decision, he didn't wait until the original flo date, he told them that I'm ready to announce so let's get this done.

Maybe Fix didn't know where he wanted to attend until Flo stated it on their website that he's ready to announce. I don't blame Fix for wanting to take his recruiting trips. I just hope that he didn't waste anyone time and resources including his own if he knew that he wanted to go to OSU all along.

He's a stud and I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

I saw a picture of his girlfriend on his Facebook page. If I were him I would go wherever she is going. If she is staying in her hometown, then OK state would most assuredly be his choice.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

I understand people appreciating the under the radar announcement, like Lee.

But the sport needs publicity. Flo generates interest by doing creative ideas that they do in other sports. I think it's good for the sport to have these type of announcements.

While it may seem overly dramatic to me personally, I bet it drives a lot of viewers to Flo's site and generates good publicity for the sport.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"I saw a picture of his girlfriend on his Facebook page. If I were him I would go wherever she is going. If she is staying in her hometown, then OK state would most assuredly be his choice."

Finally, someone with priorities. She's gorgeous. I agree.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

He's not leaving that! Where ever he decides to go, his GF is going also. I'd say more than anyone, she probably has the biggest sway in his decision.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

He's a Cowboy -- with his cowgirl.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 16, 2016

So, who's next on the 125 list?

Cardello from CVCA?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4