Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Buck Wrestleoff Results
Matt Mace added to this discussion on October 22, 2016

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"
If everyone GOES
125- Tomasello (top 2)
133- Pletcher (top 8/ R12)

With Tomasello up, you lose up to ten points, IMO. That matters."

Wouldn't you agree that we are just comparing Pletcher at 133 to Rodriguez at 125? I think Nato goes top 2 at either 125 or 133. I agree that Pletcher could go top 8. I wish I could find Dwight's breakdown of average pts scored by place winners but I think 8th place scored an average 8 pts. So for argument's sake, let's say Pletcher could score 10 pts at NCAAs. Are you assuming Rodriguez won't score any points at NCAAs? I think he has a good shot at 2-3 wins depending on his draw.
With the Nato move to 133, it allows tOSU to redshirt Pletcher and get a year to improve in the room and Nate to be less miserable. He's earned that. My initial reaction was the same as yours Brian, but after I dissected it and analyzed it more closely. The current lineup is a better move for the long term success of the team.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Buck Wrestleoff Results
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 22, 2016

Micah is a terrific wrestler--certainly AA caliber. But he's going to have his work cut out for him at 149. Better weight for him size-wise but it's locked down at top by Retherford and the next three--Sorenson, Mayes and Collica--are terrific. This is in contrast to last season when his weight class seemed up for grabs with Micah having a respectable chance to win it all (no disrespect intended to Heil...in hindsight he was the most consistent performer all season and I expect he's going to repeat).

Myles Martin was brilliant when it counted last season, but, similar to Micah, his weight class was open with no one at the top locking it down. It also was not a particularly deep weight. This season he's in a more competitive class with stronger opponents. I don't think he suffers size-wise but he's no longer huge at the weight class. Add in the burden of being a returning champ and he's going to have a lot of challenges. Key for Martin will be to do the same thing he did last year which is to keep improving. He also has to be able to deal with defeat which is sometimes tricky when you're a defending champ. I've said this before but it bears repeating--anywhere back on the podium for Myles will be a terrific achievement for a true sophomore.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2