Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kent's Upcoming Season
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2016

As I peruse their roster, it's hard not to feel that this team may be their least imposing in a long time.

Am I mistaken? Love to hear from those who are more knowledgeable about the program.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on October 8, 2016

I thought the same thing Hank. Admittedly, I am not as knowledgeable about the current wrestling landscape, but it doesn't appear to be the caliber or level of roster that we have grown used to at Kent.

BTW, here is the upcoming season schedule.

http://kentstatesports.com/news/2016/9/30/wrestling-schedule-includes-home-events-with-ohio-state-and-oklahoma-state.aspx

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on October 8, 2016

The transition from Coach Moore to Matt Hill has resulted in a VERY young roster. There are no seniors and only 7 juniors. By my count there are 19 freshman. Conel (197 NQ) is no longer on the roster. Coach Hill had a very strong recruiting class that is going to see a lot of opportunity right out of the gate.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 8, 2016

Wow, that stinks about Conel. He looked like a multiple AA.

I see athletes such as Sparkman and Tutolo making forward strides this season. I'm guessing they'll be solid as always as a dual meet team. What they seem to be missing is that super star they've had the past 8 years in Kilgore, Miller, etc.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on October 8, 2016

Is the reason that Conel is no longer on the team public knowledge? That really hurts this team. He was quickly evolving into a top notch DI wrestler.

William Danforth added to this discussion on October 8, 2016

"I've decided to do what's going to make me happy and not worry about what others think. That's why I've decided to quit wrestling. I don't love it anymore."

Kyle B Conel

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on October 9, 2016

Quote from William Danforth's post:

""I've decided to do what's going to make me happy and not worry about what others think. That's why I've decided to quit wrestling. I don't love it anymore."

Kyle B Conel"

Fair enough. At least the young man is honest with himself. You have to respect him for taking that position.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2016

The Kent roster has over 20 frosh listed...redshirt or true. Looks like they pushed a reset button and are hoping that numbers will yield enough hidden gems to develop a good team in a year or two.

Nye, James, Sparkman and Tutolo should be good and Beard might be able to step in and win at 125. But the rest of the lineup is difficult to predict. And I don't think anyone in the lineup will have more than a year's experience as a starter.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on October 31, 2016

The return of Conel? I'm not sure what all that will entail moving forward but hopefully he does what is best for him in the long run.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/996940-rosselli-and-sooners-in-ohio-recruiting-at-next-level-combine

The KSU/OSU/CSU Wrestlers in Business event on 11/22 is a great idea. Who's going?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 18, 2016

Can anyone name the full starting lineup for Kent?

who's starting at 125?

Who's starting at 149?

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on November 20, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Can anyone name the full starting lineup for Kent?

who's starting at 125?

Who's starting at 149?"

Sure. But only if you can tell me who will start at 141, 165 and 184...

Here's my take on it. I'm basing my projections on what took place at the Navy Classic and the Clarion Open, with a big caveat that roster changes may very well take place throughout the season.

125 has Beard and Simpson (both true freshman) and Dickson (junior) competing. I do not believe that Beard has wrestled at any events this year. I didn't see his name for Clarion, Navy, or the Ohio Open. Simpson beat Dickson and placed 5th at Navy. Dickson went 1-2. I think each of them will get to wrestle, but Simpson has the edge IMO to be the starter.

Tutolo is looking very solid at 133. He's 8-0 with titles at Clarion and Navy. He defeated Ohio's Cam Kelly yesterday, 5-4. Kelly is ranked 16th.

At 141, Driscoll went 0-2 at Navy, as did McCoy. This weight class seems to be a big question mark for KSU. McCoy is a true freshman, but Driscoll is a junior that wrestled at St. Eds.

At 149, Rooney would be my guess. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Dor get a look against CSU. Rooney went 4-2 and placed 4h at Navy. O'Dor was 0-2. Rooney has better high school credentials with multiple state placements - 5,4,2

Sparkman is solid at 157, with 2nd place finishes at Clarion and Navy. My only concern is that his finals matches were not very competitive.

Walker and Bast have both wrestled at 165 this year. At Navy, Walker went 1-2, including a loss to Bast. Bast took 6th at Navy, but had a medical forfeit in his last match. My money, however, is on him to be the starter.

James is having a good year at 174 with a 1st at Clarion and a 2nd at Navy, losing 5-4 to #11 Bernstein of Navy in a match that Coach A thought James should have won.

184 is a concern with all 3 wrestlers going 1-2 at Navy. Spohn has the most experience but has been inconsistent, either dominating or being dominated. Stockman and Mast have not done better so Spohn will be the starter.

Suglio is solid at 197 in the absence of Conel. He wrestled at 285 last year but seems to have made his adjustment back to his natural weight. He went 3-2 and took 4th at Navy.

Nye is having a respectable year at 285. He placed 6th at Navy and finished strong last year.

It is definitely a transition year for KSU but there are bright spots that will make their mark in the MAC and maybe even at NCAAs.

► Add to the Discussion