Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Is movement of HS kids from one team to another team good for HS wrestling
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on September 28, 2016

This is not a wrestling-specific issue, this is happening REGARDLESS of high school sport. It seems like athletes and their parents view themselves more as "independent contractors" than ever before.

With wrestling, there seems to be either the same or an increased number of very good to elite competitors than in the past. However, the GAP between that group of wrestlers and the rest of the field is INCREASING. There is a diminished/diminishing "middle class" within the sport; being over-simplistic about things, you're either (1) very good (2) pretty good (3) non-competitive.

As there is an increased number of wrestlers starting early in terms of age and - more importantly for this conversation - choosing to specialize at an early age, the ability for someone to start in say middle school and experience a reasonable level of success shrinks (both in the short term and within a high school career).

The other conceptualization that comes into play is, "what is success". Most of us are guilty in this type of architecture, I know I am; success = state tournament caliber.

Looking back to why kids transfer, the ability (real or perceived, by the kids or by the parents) to be in an environment with more "like-minded" athletes as well as coaches on a day-to-day basis during the season. That's my read on it at least. Note the caveats though: "real or perceived", "by the kids or by the parents".

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2