Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Preseason: tOSU Line-Up & Predictions
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 18, 2016

What does the line-up look like for the Buckeyes and how do you think they will do at each weight class?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 18, 2016

125: Rodriguez will be sucking a lot of weight. Really hard to say how he'll perform. He would be a credible starter at 133. He has the skill to be a pretty good 125 if he can handle the cut.

133: Nate will be so short at the weight that I expect him to wrestle a lot like Snyder at 285. He will beat a alot of guys with TD's and conditioning. Guys like Clark will do everything they can to tie him up and slow him down. He'll be very good regardless and a title contender.

141: Hayes may have to stave off Pletcher to be the starter. Assuming he does, my guess is he'll be an AA competitor. He's very good on top. The issue as I see it is how much will he improve as the season goes on? How much will the loss of Rosselli affect him?

149: Micah should have a little more power at this weight and his stamina should be better. No one can touch Retherford but Micah will be in hunt for an AA spot...possibly a high one. But it's always a tough weight class and he'll be up against a whole new set of experienced competitors like Sorenson. It will help if Micah can ride better so he doesn't have to use up so much energy.

157: Jake Ryan had a fine season and just missed pulling a big upset at NCAA's over Jo Jo Smith. He needs to continue to improve his offensive game and his mat skills to get in the AA conversation.

165: Burcher seems to me to be the most likely starter. If he can prove big enough for the weight, he can be a surprise....just as he was last season. Kresevic shows heart but he's more of a 157. His job will be to keep this spot competitive for the Bucks in dual competition. Anything else is gravy.

174: Bo Jordan has spent a few years stuck behind two wrestlers...his cousin and Dieringer. Now he's up at a higher weight where he looked good early last season. He's an obvious title contender although whoever PSU and Okie State put on the mat at this weight should be very talented as well.

184: Myles Martin improved week by week last season and put together a miraculous run at NCAA's. My guess is he'll be a more polished wrestler this year but the competition will also be stiffer. If he is able to add the necessary size to compete ten pounds heavier, there's no reason why he shouldn't once again be very good.

197: Kollin Moore had a solid redshirt season and a nice summer of freestyle. That said...I expect him to be good but also someone who will struggle against the upper echelon at this weight. Training with Snyder helps. Low AA possibility.

285: Kyle Snyder has touched the stars so it's almost silly to think about how he'll do back in college. Yet, Adam Coon was the one guy whose sheer size and experience made him a formidable opponent. With Coon out, Snyder has the potential to bonus every opponent he wrestles.

Those are my thoughts Mr. Hayes. Should be a very good team with potential to finish top 3 at NCAA's barring serious injuries. Can they challenge PSU? We'll see. Okie State, Iowa and Virginia Tech will also be very good. NC State, Nebraska, Mizzou and Cornell will also be in the mix.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 19, 2016

Good stuff. Thanks, Hank.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 19, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Good stuff. Thanks, Hank."

Agreed!

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Agreed!"

We had waaaayyyy more usable Intel when you had all those Protection Orders against you.

Time to reconsider a reversal of trajectory. Jus' Sayin'

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 19, 2016

"

"

Agreed!"

We had waaaayyyy more usable Intel when you had all those Protection Orders against you.

Time to reconsider a reversal of trajectory. Jus' Sayin'"

He's gone all "sales guy" on us and he's playing it safe now. Pfffftt! Bring back Cruiser!!

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

"

"

Agreed!"

Time to reconsider a reversal of trajectory. Jus' Sayin'"

He's gone all "sales guy" on us and he's playing it safe now. Pfffftt! Bring back Cruiser!!"

Yeah, none of us approve of OR approved of this...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 20, 2016

The market demands a salesman with some restraining orders on his name!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 20, 2016

I can bar Mark from coming to Mister Brisket if that helps with his credibility. (we'd have to make certain allowances as that will really hurt his feelings).

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 20, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I can bar Mark from coming to Mister Brisket if that helps with his credibility. (we'd have to make certain allowances as that will really hurt his feelings)."

I'm not the least bit happy about his overt commentary abdication; if there is a problem -yo!- he needs to solve it! : )

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 21, 2016

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]125: Rodriguez will be sucking a lot of weight. Really hard to say how he'll perform. He would be a credible starter at 133. He has the skill to be a pretty good 125 if he can handle the cut.

133: Nate will be so short at the weight that I expect him to wrestle a lot like Snyder at 285. He will beat a alot of guys with TD's and conditioning. Guys like Clark will do everything they can to tie him up and slow him down. He'll be very good regardless and a title contender.

I only see Nate's height being an issue against some but he is the same height as #1 Richards and only 2 inches shorter then #2 Clark.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on September 27, 2016

Looking at our roster there are many strong weights for the Bucks this season and reasons for us to smile and look forward to the start of wrestling.
However, some big question marks still remain.

165- Who is the guy at this weight? Is Burcher the front runner? I would assume that if he is then Kresevic is the guy who is going to push him for the starting spot? Elijah Cleary will redshirt? JR Newton a non-factor?

125- Okay, it's the Jose Rodriguez show but if he is unable to go do we even have another 25 on our roster? I think this weight has to be our #1 priority. Any news on the kid from Oklahoma? Is he staying put now that Lou is there?

Thanks.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on September 27, 2016

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"125- Okay, it's the Jose Rodriguez show but if he is unable to go do we even have another 25 on our roster? "

According to the Official Roster, that is true.
I don't get it. tOSU can't get a guy in the room at this weight? It's one thing if you have a couple injuries at 125 or 285, I get that it would be hard to fill those weights, but it isn't really a surprise that Nato is going 133. How does a team like Ohio State not have a backup?! Even J-Rod isn't a sure thing to make 125. Wrestled 126 his senior year, 2 years ago.
I'm sure they are making plans though.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 27, 2016

i think Nate, JRod and Pletcher will all certify at 125. If Ohio St can make a run at NCAA title i think Nate drops to 125-- and JRod & Pletcher wrestle off at 133. All options are on the table.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 27, 2016

Pletcher? I honestly saw him battling with Hayes for a starting spot at 141. I guess not.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next