Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Rosselli to Oklahoma
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Hahn? Manny grad but experience at another top notch program."

That's one of the names that popped into my head too.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

several good candidates incl Roger Kish former NCAA runnerup at U of MN, now head coach N. Dakota St

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

It's been my impression, that among other things, Coach Rosselli was the technique guy on the staff. First off, is there anyone "in the know" who can tell me if that's correct? And if so, who would be the guy who would step in and fill that roll on the Buckeye staff? Does Coach Ryan step in and teach more? Does Jaggers? Developing talent is about teaching technique. That's the hole that I perceive Coach Rosselli leaving. Am I wrong on that?

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

" Am I wrong on that?"

I believe that Coach Rosselli was well regarded as an expert on the refinement of technique. It is my understanding that Dlagnev is also very much an astute student of the sport and he should be able to provide excellent technical advice to the wrestlers. My impression is that Jaggers is someone who understands wrestling in its myriad forms and is very helpful to the middleweights in terms of technical improvement. Coach Ryan seems to be more of the organizational and inspirational leader of the team.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"It's been my impression, that among other things, Coach Rosselli was the technique guy on the staff. First off, is there anyone "in the know" who can tell me if that's correct? And if so, who would be the guy who would step in and fill that roll on the Buckeye staff? Does Coach Ryan step in and teach more? Does Jaggers? Developing talent is about teaching technique. That's the hole that I perceive Coach Rosselli leaving. Am I wrong on that?"

That's always been my impression, right or wrong. It's obvious that Jaggers and Ryan have excellent technique and are in the top 1%, I've always viewed Rosselli as having serious next level shit when it comes to tech.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

Hank,

We see things differently.

Rodriguez is the Chevy you're looking for at 125. A two-time champ in Ohio's biggest division, he represents the level of recruit a school like Kent State or Edinboro would bring in with the intention of starting early. At Ohio State, Rodriguez is a "role player." He'll hold his own and win enough in year one.

At 165, the Bucks are the victim of tough circumstances in last year's recruiting class. They lost one commitment to a change of heart (Marinelli, Iowa) and another to academics (White). And then there's Mark Hall, who at one point was leaning to OSU before being wooed by Cael. $hit happens.

Even with those tough breaks, this lineup has five guys — Nate, both Jordans, Myles and Snyder — with major scoring potential.

This is a top three lineup in the country. Enjoy it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

"serious next level shit"--Brian Nicola

Love it.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

Bruce - I love the way you put it - refinement of technique. The environment has the potential to take a wrestler from point A to point B. But Lou, IMO, was able to take already-proven talent and improve on it. ...with what Brian dubbed "NLS".

I hope Tervel can sell his M.E.T.H.ods to the masses.

But I am on record as saying Lou is one of a few in the sport that are truly irreplaceable in the role he was in. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

Drew: I don't disagree with anything you said. Top three is a real possibility.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 10, 2016

Of course I'll be incorporating the hashtag "#NLS" into all posts related to outstanding performance this upcoming season.

Let it be written, let it be so. : )

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 18, 2016

The following is an article that was posted on d1collegewrestling.net. The whole article describes the new coaches in D1 this year, and describes some of the circumstances surrounding their hiring and adjustment to their new positions.

I am sure that most of us true Buckeye fans wish Lou well in his new endeavor, (just so he doesn't dip into Ohio for too many top notch recruits.)

Oklahoma: Lou Rosselli

Background: Lou Rosselli comes to Oklahoma after ten seasons at Ohio State where he has been the associate head coach since 2008-09. Rosselli also served as a volunteer assistant coach for the US Olympic Freestyle Team in each of the last two Olympic Games. He also was the head coach for the Ohio Regional Training Center.

Consensus selection. Very rare is it when wrestling fans can come together, regardless of team affiliation, and agree on a great coaching hire. That's what happened when the Sooners announced the hiring of Lou Rosselli. Oklahoma fans, Oklahoma State fans, Ohio State fans and everyone in between, raved about his selection. Lou paid his dues for years assisting in the construction of a National Championship team at Ohio State and specifically guided an imposing group of lower weights.

Worldwide Domination: It's a safe bet that Norman, Oklahoma will become a destination spot for International Freestyle hopefuls. Rosselli has the reputation as one of the country's best Freestyle coaches, specifically with his pupil Kyle Snyder, now a World and Olympic Champion. OU will not only be a destination for wrestlers eyeing to win NCAA Titles, now it will be a home for wrestlers with world level aspirations.

Hurdles: Administration. We might be nitpicking here but there are some questions surrounding the Oklahoma athletic department. At one point in time it looked as if former Sooner Ryan Millhof would be denied a release due to the administrators. Will Rosselli be allowed to run the program his way?

Bedlam. As long as John Smith is at Oklahoma State, the Sooners will have to fight for the affection and attention of in-state fans and recruits. That is the harsh reality of Oklahoma wrestling. So far in this recruiting cycle, Lou has dipped back into Ohio with two early commitments from the senior class. The good news is that if Rosselli and crew defeat the Cowboys on a consistent basis it means that they will likely be Big 12 and NCAA title contenders.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4