Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Olympic Thoughts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2016

The women were solid though I'm sure they were a bit disappointed not to do better. All won at least a match. Maroulis was spectacular. Bad officiating played a role....the usual.

Easy for us to criticize Greco but the US wrestling community doesn't value it enough and it shows. The guys competing are doing their best but we're currently not close. We need more serious wrestlers to see it as a path to Olympic competition.

Men's freestyle came very close to having an excellent tournament. Gold for Kyle. Bronze for J'Den. 5th for Tervel with a broken back. 5th for Molinaro who wrestled two brilliant matches in about a half hour and came inches away from placement. Had Burroughs been even close to Burroughs and just gotten bronze, I think we would have felt very good about the men. Only Dan Dennis got wiped out. We are close in men's freestyle but really need to keep finding super studs like Cox and Snyder to carry us forward. And we need them to be as mature and committed as these two.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 21, 2016

I agree on each of your points, Hank.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2016

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"I agree on each of your points, Hank."

Thank you.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

We had everything this year! Corrupt officials being taken off the mat Russian punching a female wrestler in the head and to top it all off stripping Mongolian protesting coaches!

That's a reality TV show in the making! And they wanted to get rid of wrestling in the Olympics

We had some truly amazing performances from our guys but again we come up short of being the best in world, time to switch to Freestyle!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

When Nieman get home home from work today, in protest of our performance of our Greco Team, he is going to strip down to his underwear.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"When Nieman get home home from work today, in protest of our performance of our Greco Team, he is going to strip down to his underwear."

Again. : )

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

Younger wrestlers are getting it done. With age comes experience, but it does not always produce better performances. Actually think there is quite a bit of evidence showing otherwise.

The format benefits the younger wrestler who can recover more quickly. The rules are way too subjective, which has been mentioned. The whole stalling and shot clock could be easily manipulated by a referee that was getting coerced into an outcome. (and it did)

A pathway for the top young wrestler to medal or place at the Worlds and Olympics detours through the resident OTC in Colorado Springs. Snyder spent his senior year in high school there. Cejudo. Two the past three mens champions. Both on the younger spectrum of the scale.

I love how Snyder talks about staying focused on improving and getting better rather than outcome. He is so focused with the process that everything else is a not given any energy.

Basically, he has honed his way of thinking. This all but ensures that his every workout is driven toward the end goal of best practice concept.

What Rosselli said about operating at a level 10,

His position is always at quality and rate level 10.

and that is why he is the Olympic Champion

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

Rex, I'd add that Freestyle is now about athleticism and TD skills. I think Isaiah Martinez could be a breakout athlete if Jordan Burroughs steps aside.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex, I'd add that Freestyle is now about athleticism and TD skills. I think Isaiah Martinez could be a breakout athlete if Jordan Burroughs steps aside."

Dake.

ps: typed while in skivvies!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

I'd put Dake on my greco team.

He'd be great in either style.

Yes, offense matters or rather the ability to score at least one offensive attack and thereafter counterattacks; but I think defense is just as important.

Here is my rationale. If you watched Molinaro at the Olympic Trials, it was obvious that once he scored, he was very capable of influencing the pace and shutting down his opponents offense. It comes down to really staying in position and conditioning oneself to only wrestle from a couple positions and not engage anything that creates opportunities for the opponent. One must look busy but have the skill to not give an inch of position. He excelled at it.

If you pay attention to Snyder, he has some of the best defense in the world as well. His youth works to his favor as he starts off at a sprint and maintains the pace and quality of his attacks. His opponents fatigue and the quality of their attack suffers. I had no doubt he won the match with one minute left to go. He doesn't make mistakes late. He has made two mistakes off novel attacks i.e. Gadsen and in the Semis of this years Olympics. However, those are more of a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Watched his post match interview after the Worlds Finals last year and he admitted as much that he wore his opponent down and the small loss of position was the difference in the match.

Logan has a great offense and he has shown signs of a great defense, but guys were scoring a lot of points on him which suggests that defense is the area of his wrestling which needs the most focus.

The balance of offense and defense looks like a fine art, but is rather a mastery of decision making skills of when to engage/score and when to shut the opponent down.( and being skilled enough to do so)

Yes offense and athleticism matter in the context of making something happen when the opponent concedes the smallest amount of position, angle, reaction. Athleticism amplifies the ability to do so.

Freestyle does favor athleticism and youth.

Athleticism and youth are directly proportional

Last edited by Rex Holman on August 22, 2016; edited 3 times in total

I think Dake and Taylor could both place at the Worlds next year but their window of opportunity is closing quickly.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 23, 2016

Rex: Great to get your insights. Will take one small exception. The "mistake" made by Snyder in Olympic semis was to get hit with a lefty arm spin/whizzer. I just don't think anyone knew that was coming. It was a brilliant move by his opponent. Fortunately, none of those big, hairy opponents was able to keep the pace. Conditioning plays a huge role in today's freestyle and Snyder had the best at his weight.

I thought Molinaro put on an amazing performance in his bronze match. He'd wrestled a hard 6 minutes about 30 minutes prior and still wrestled the Cuban/Italian Chomizo to a standstill.

Best wrestler in the tourney in my opinion was one of two Russians. The one who won 66K was amazing as was the guy they call the Russian Tank at 86K.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on August 23, 2016

[quote="Mark Niemann"]

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

ps: typed while in skivvies!"

Are you protesting?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 23, 2016

I was really impressed with Molinaro's ascension into a World Class freestyler. He adapted as well as anyone over the past couple of years post college. Simply, he was quite awesome.

Is getting thrown with an armspin a mistake. Maybe not in the classical context; but let me ask you this, If he were able to wrestle said opponent again, do you think he would get hit with an arm spin. I don't think so as he would understand the position better that created the opportunity for his opponent. Also, 4 points is a big amount of points.

It fulfills a couple of criteria (in my hierarchy) for me to consider it a mistake. Again just my opinion and how I have come to understand the world.

Would I wrestle from the same position again and give it the same reaction? Did I get out of position which cost me points?

Last edited by Rex Holman on August 23, 2016; edited 2 times in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next