Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: "Freestyle" ladder guys in Greco
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

This will seem snooty and even dickish. Apologies, in advance.

Our Greco team is just not doing it. I get that the style is vastly different from folk and free. However, with exceptions, including Ohio's own Harry Lester, most of the "best" high school and college guys move into FS.

What if guys just a rung or two down on the FS ladder made the switch? Who could you fit in these weights? My first thoughts are Dake at 75K and Taylor at 85 K.

59 kg (130 lb) -
66 kg (145.5 lb) -
71 kg (156 lb) (non-Olympic class)
75 kg (165 lb)
80 kg (176 lb) (non-Olympic class)
85 kg (187 lb) Thoughts?
98 kg (216 lb)
98 to 130 kg (216 to 286.5 lb)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

I like the question.

I periodically feel guilty when I fast forward to the part where someone scores when I watch Greco-Roman. :(

Luke Moore added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

I think Greco is bad for the sport. These guys are obviously phenomenal athletes and great wrestlers, but if I was a casual fan, I would never watch another match after seeing some of these Greco bouts in Rio. The changes made the past few years in freestyle have been awesome, but Greco is rough!

On a side note, I hate the format of these international competitions. Why can't they compete it like a regular tournament? Put all weight classes wrestling on the same day, and have the finals all on the same day.

And the fact that a guy can train his whole life to go wrestle one match because he did not get pulled through is terrible!

Here's the other thing: Greco was only invented in 1896. They named it Greco-Roman b/c it sounded good and like it connected to the ancients. That's it.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

I,too, hate the possible one and done format international wrestling uses. Imagine if this was used when John Smith was competing. He would never have won his 2nd gold medal.
Why are we in such a hurry to complete wrestling when swimming and track get about a week each? Why do we have these guys wrestling match after match with only 30ish minutes break when track take off hours between heats? With 18 weights contested and only about 16 wrestlers per weight, I see no reason why we couldn't run it like the NCAA's as a double elimination 3 day tournament.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

We assume the IOC cares.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

Going back to the original question in this post, I agree that it would make sense for a wrestler stuck in the number 2 or 3 spot (or lower) on the freestyle ladder to give greco a legit try. At the very least, you have a smaller pool of people to beat to make the team. Many of the best freestyle wrestlers at the senior level were Fargo champs (or AAs) in both greco and free, so they clearly have the potential to do very well in greco. I can't think of any names offhand other than Dake and Taylor; I'd have to look at old Fargo results.

J.D. Bergman.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 17, 2016

There are a lot of silly sports in the Olympics (Badminton, Steeplechase, Rhythmic Gymnastics). Greco, while new in origin, is still an Olympic sport. And the wrestlers who compete at it work as hard and with the same measure of dedication as all other wrestlers.

Matt Lindland has worked very hard to improve our squad and deserves a lot more time.

The real issue, however, is folkstyle. As long as our best and brightest compete in a type of wrestling that is not used in the Olympics, we will continue to be a second rate freestyle nation and even worse in Greco (because it's less popular). We're at a crossroads as a wrestling community in my opinion because it's clear we are not a great wrestling nation. Watching our swimmers and gymnasts clean up makes me envious because our wrestlers are nowhere near this type of dominance. But until we stop with folk and commit to being the best wrestlers in the world, we will remain a second rate country in terms of competitiveness. My opinion--college has started to transition and we need to make sure it continues. Then let's get it into high schools. Enough with ankle riding and tilts....let's go free and greco at all levels and become the best in the world.

► Add to the Discussion