Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Discussion Topic: Cleveland Right Now
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 26, 2016

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Hank, both a HUGE deal, but to different audiences --

i live in Cleveland the city, how many on here do? i was lucky i came here in 1972 for a JOB.

My fellow CLEvlanders need JOBS now -- Obama hasnt provided any, none, all talk -- jobs mean hope, no jobs no hope, simple. Kasich & Repubs have screwed the big cities too.

Lebron & Ryan have both done all they can do. We lucky to have both, very lucky."

Unemployment was 8 percent in Cleveland in Nov 2007 when Bush lost the election. Eight years later it stood at 4.4 percent."

I used to believe the numbers. Then I learned the truth.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 26, 2016

Plain Dealer dated Feb 29, 2016

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland is the most distressed big city in America, according to a study from the Economic Innovation Group.

How did the group reach its conclusions?

The group -- founded last year to craft centrist proposals to stimulate the economy -- used U.S. Census data to document how growth is bypassing much of the country. It used statistics on poverty, jobs, vacant housing, income and education to compute "distress scores" for zip codes with more than 500 people

Those that scored above 80 on its 100-point-scale were classified as "distressed" areas where, on average, nearly one-quarter of adults have no high school diploma, 55 percent of adults are unemployed, and 27 percent of the people live in poverty.

*****Cleveland rated 99.9 on its scale.

What were its findings on Cleveland?

The group found that 53% of adults in Cleveland are not working
36% of the population lives in poverty
23% of adults lack a high school degree
21% of houses are vacant
The city's median income is 54% of the state average
Employment fell by 2 percent between 2010 and 2013
The number of businesses fell by 3.3 percent between 2010 and 2013

What other cities were distressed? Two other Ohio cities -- Toledo and Cincinnati -- also made the group's top 10.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 26, 2016

"Unemployment was 8 percent in Cleveland in Nov 2007 when Bush lost the election. Eight years later it stood at 4.4 percent."

This brings to mind the old adage that "liars figure and figures lie".

I would ask anyone who believes ANYTHING out of Washington if they know of a person who was unemployed in 2007 and has a real job now (not a McJob). I can't think of anyone I know that meets that criteria.
The government, regardless of the party in charge, has clever ways of discussing the truth and spinning things to look better than they are.
Just my $.02.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 26, 2016

Those in Washington will also blame the manufacturing middle class and point out that they have failed to adjust to "The New Normal". This of course is tantamount to a shrug of the shoulders and the whispered words "let them eat cake".

Thus we have:

Queen Hillary Antoinette vs. King Donald XVI.

However, wrestling will survive both of them!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2016

The manufacturing jobs are not coming back. It's too cheap to build elsewhere then import. Not any president's fault either. There's no stopping globalization.

I am sure the joy I felt at the moment the Cavs won is no greater than my excitement upon watching Logan hang on vs Oliver....or Jaggers turn Mendes for 5....or My Martin roll Nickal to his back....The difference is that it means more to me personally for Cleveland to win a major sports championship. A week later, I'm still wildly excited about the Cavs win. It means more to me than the Bucks NCAA championship. But both have been terrific moments to me as a fan.

Cleveland does seem to have a guardian angel of late. Let's hope the red hot Indians can continue to play terrific ball.

Tribe knocks out VERLANDER, leads Detroit 9-3, gonna win 10th game in a row. .. another parade?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2016

"Tribe knocks out VERLANDER, leads Detroit 9-3, gonna win 10th game in a row. .. another parade?"

Why not?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The manufacturing jobs are not coming back. It's too cheap to build elsewhere then import. Not any president's fault either. There's no stopping globalization."

some truth there Hank, however Ross Perot told it like it is, when Clinton signed NAFTA. Perot said "that whoosing sound u hear are American jobs leaving".

of course Perot was a very successful businessman, a creator of wealth & jobs. .....a problem with politics is u got guys who are career pols, guys whove never met a payroll, never built or competed in business, making major economic decisions.

all Prez bring in a Wall St guy to depend on, usually a former Goldman-Sachs CEO like Clintons Treasury Sec Robert Ruben, Bush' TSec Hank Paulson, and they depend on Wall Streeters to guide them. Bush also depended on Fed Chief Greenspan who proved not so savvy after all.

despite his faults Trump is right, imo, we don't make good trade deals. Obama just signed this Trans Pacific trade deal, let's see how that turns out?? Obama of course has zero business experience, basically he was a social worker before he was Senator. His TSec Jack Lew is a Harvard grad, a lawyer and made his career in govt, not business.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The manufacturing jobs are not coming back. It's too cheap to build elsewhere then import. Not any president's fault either. There's no stopping globalization."

some truth there Hank, however Ross Perot told it like it is, when Clinton signed NAFTA. Perot said "that whoosing sound u hear are American jobs leaving".

of course Perot was a very successful businessman, a creator of wealth & jobs. .....a problem with politics is u got guys who are career pols, guys whove never met a payroll, never built or competed in business, making major economic decisions.

all Prez bring in a Wall St guy to depend on, usually a former Goldman-Sachs CEO like Clintons Treasury Sec Robert Ruben, Bush' TSec Hank Paulson, and they depend on Wall Streeters to guide them. Bush also depended on Fed Chief Greenspan who proved not so savvy after all.

despite his faults Trump is right, imo, we don't make good trade deals. Obama just signed this Trans Pacific trade deal, let's see how that turns out?? Obama of course has zero business experience, basically he was a social worker before he was Senator. His TSec Jack Lew is a Harvard grad, a lawyer and made his career in govt, not business."

I just need to point out that it is shrewd businessmen who decided to take those manufacturing jobs overseas to make a greater profit. Not thinking of the community thAt has made the company what it is. IMO it is not wise to trust any class be it businessmen or politicians to put the people's best interests over their own.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

Mike, no need to "trust" either business or govt-- we shouldnt trust either.

fact is business needs regulation however business in America --from Mr Brisket to General Motors -- creates our wealth and our jobs, where does money to pay teachers and cops and build bridges come from? Business. -- Govt creates no wealth.

thus i prefer a Pol who knows something about business and there aint many, most are "career pols".

Hillary in a rare moment of candor said she hasnt driven a car since 1995, does anyone think she's pushed a cart in grocery store in the past 20 or 30 years?? where would her "understanding of the average citizen" come from? What would she know about business or middle-class struggle or lower class despairs??

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

To be fair, do you think Trump is driving himself to the grocery store every week and pushing a cart up and down the aisles? This is a guy who takes a private jet back to New York most every night so he can sleep in his own bed. I'm not judging that; he makes a lot of money. But the "how can HIllary relate to the average Joe" line also applies to Trump.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

"Mike, no need to "trust" either business or govt-- we shouldnt trust either.

fact is business needs regulation however business in America --from Mr Brisket to General Motors -- creates our wealth and our jobs, where does money to pay teachers and cops and build bridges come from? Business. -- Govt creates no wealth.

thus i prefer a Pol who knows something about business and there aint many, most are "career pols".

Hillary in a rare moment of candor said she hasnt driven a car since 1995, does anyone think she's pushed a cart in grocery store in the past 20 or 30 years?? where would her "understanding of the average citizen" come from? What would she know about business or middle-class struggle or lower class despairs??"

Bob, I would love to discuss this further over a tasty corn beef sandwich. Next time I'm in Cleveland you have a standing offer of a free sandwich at Mr. Brisket.

I'm now hoping that the Indians can follow in the Cavs footsteps. Baseball was always my second love after wrestling and that's the championship I really hunger after

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

Vote Libertarian or don't vote or hold your nose and vote for Hillary. But if you vote for Trump, you're absolutely making the biggest of blunders. Think of him as a wrestling coach who poaches kids from other communities, screams at officials, berates his kids and gets away with all of it because his team wins. Cuz that's exactly who he is.

Done with politics.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on June 27, 2016; edited 2 times in total

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"To be fair, do you think Trump is driving himself to the grocery store every week and pushing a cart up and down the aisles? "

i'm no Trump fan-- i don't like the guy, not at all -- but he is a businessman, an international one at that, so for all his many flaws i give him that. Hillary has lived off the taxpayer the past 40 years... typical big govt career pol, just much more successful than most..

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 27, 2016

You keep saying he's a businessman. Same thing was said about W. And Trump is the most unethical businessman you've ever met. I know attorneys that have continuously sued him on behalf of small business people he's stiffed on payment. He doesn't pay them because he can get away with not doing it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next