Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Girls HS wrestling -data gathering
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 12, 2016

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"
I'm not sure I agree with this as the "why" most boys wrestle."

On the opinion of club vs. high school teams, though, I'll agree with Bob P. "

alot of reality - and some science - is being denied on this thread.... here's why i say that.

Its a fact men in general are more physically aggressive & Testosterone is a reason. Testosterone hormone produced in the testicles surges in males of high school age, begins during puberty. It contributes to muscle and bone mass. (Its why MikeRod was built like a brick shithouse in high school.)

Brian, why do u think some pro athletes in sports where power and aggression are key traits have been found to ingest illegal Testosterone building drugs?? If it werent for drug tests there would be alot more doing it too.

Women have their genetic characteristics, the estrogen hormone is in their DNA. It too surges in puberty, estrogen contributes to womens distinct bodies, breasts, child bearing features. Estrogen is made in the ovaries.

Certainly there are exceptions-- woman have some testosterone but not nearly as much as men. Some women could have higher levels than other women.
(And some women would kick my butt!)

let me be clear: i applaud every girl who wants to wrestle but i don't think theres anywhere near enough of them to be a high school "state sponsored sport". Way too few for an OHSAA sport.

Club sport maybe but thats Hanks area of expertise. ...s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 12, 2016

No, I understand testosterone. I probably didn't explain myself very well.

I am not sure that testosterone is the primary factor that drives people to wrestle (or at least keeps them in the sport).

Consider the overly jacked LB that last three days...or the musclebound meathead that never leaves the weight room for the mat. As boys, I get that we like smashing things, hollering and such. That's testosterone. I agree girls do not have this in any real, measurable amount.

I would argue that those who succeed in wrestling have an internal drive and motivation that is not testosterone-based...but rather, mental toughness. By succeed, I mean, stay with it, learn from it, grow from it and emerge a better, more complete human being. That would be the goal of adding girls teams.

That being said, there aren't enough right now...b/c the majority of female athletes that would wrestle on a girls team would not want to wrestle on a boys team. I could be wrong, but that is my hypothesis.

JMO.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 13, 2016

Brian, so we disagree, however i congrat you on pursuing your vision and seeking supporting data thru a legit survey.

i'd like to see actual evidence, not a survey but actual commitment .. i'd like to see girls teams, a girls club league - real evidence - before considering a pitch to OHSAA.

are there any High School girls club teams in ohio? what is the plan for that, who will make it happen, who will organize & run it, when will we see it?

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 13, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Brian, so we disagree, however i congrat you on pursuing your vision and seeking supporting data thru a legit survey.

i'd like to see actual evidence, not a survey but actual commitment .. i'd like to see girls teams, a girls club league - real evidence - before considering a pitch to OHSAA.

are there any High School girls club teams in ohio? what is the plan for that, who will make it happen, who will organize & run it, when will we see it?"

I think it would have to follow the club model of boys volleyball, b/g lax, ice hockey...getting to an x number of school club teams before they classify it as emerging.

There are multiple clubs during the spring, and I believe Patrick Garren's dad runs a year-round girls club out of Hamilton Township.

I'm passionate about this b/c of the young ladies I've coached and students who vocalize interest. However, I have two sons (one of who wrestles), so though I'm interested and determined to push it, I'm not as vested as a parent whose daughter is saying, "why can't I do this?" I'm starting to hear from those people.

I guess we'll see...if we're on here, we love wrestling, and I think we can all agree that it is hard as hell and a great way to develop young people.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2