Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cadet Freestyle Nationals
Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

Carr of Perry wins 69 kilos, makes World Team to wrestle in Tbilisi, Georgia.

Decatur of CVCA 2nd at 54 kilos, will wrestle at Cadet Pan Ams in Lima, Peru, titleist not going.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

10th year FILA Cadets and University nationals was in Akron, alot of talent & big names in the sport were here, esp younger Cadets.

Congrats to ohio chairman Chris Kallai and his team for bringing it here. Not as many fans know about it as should but its one of WRUSA's top events.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

Carr deserves the recognition. What a great accomplishment.

Side note--where are the Ohio State wrestlers at the University Nationals? With the presence of the Ohio RTC and wrestlers like Hump, Logan, J.D., Tervel and Snyder, why wouldn't some Buckeyes have competed? Seems very odd esp. when you consider how nearby Akron is.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

Reece is gone. Or packing to leave. Coaching Titan Mercury now.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Reece is gone. Or packing to leave. Coaching Titan Mercury now."

I was thinking more of current squad members. Couldn't find one of them listed as I perused the brackets.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

Jose Rodriguez took 8th at 61 kg. That's the only current Buckeye that I saw.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on June 7, 2016

Rozema competed as well. Didn't place.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 8, 2016

Credit to those two guys. Win or lose, it always helps to compete during the offseason.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 16, 2016

i'm giving credit where due today, i'm in that zone. Chris Kallai & USA Ohio great job bringing AND keeping UWW Akron here, more fans should have attended, their loss. USA Ohio will bid on this event again and keep it here i predict.

on another "giving credit where due" matter, check the results on his watch compared to previous, ZEKE JONES did helluva job for USAWR. A few guys are superior, i think he is one.... excerpt from AWN column July issue:

Zeke Jones Opines
Events like Akron and Fargo offer an opportunity to talk to coaches in an atmosphere where they can relax compared to the college season.

Zeke Jones has been head coach for two years at Arizona State after leading our national teams in great shape at USAWR where he was Head Coach of the USA National Freestyle Wrestling Team which oversees national development as well. Zeke gave me some insights as to why we have so many mat-ready young wrestlers able to win World medals now compared to 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Zeke told me the key is that the best young guys now are getting foreign exposure at an early age and a lot of it. He says raising money for that foreign exposure while he was the National Coach was a major goal of his. Zeke said that when he won silver at the Barcelona Olympics it was only his second time competing overseas.

Zeke told me, “Not only did we focus on foreign exposure but we put more emphasis on becoming a Junior World Champion. Kids like Kyle Snyder were convinced that it was better to become a Junior World Champion then to win four state titles. We know that’s not necessarily popular with parents or high school coaches but we knew Kyle had special gift and his support system at home knew he could do it too.”

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 18, 2016

Great post Bob. Zeke Jones did a very fine job and that's one reason why. He had a clear idea of what it would take to succeed and followed through. My hope is that more top hs wrestlers choose to work on free and greco.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 18, 2016

lol, i'm geting sensory feedback when i mention Zeke to USAWR guys i know, one said he was "a pain in the butt" ... when i heard that i understood, translation he didnt stand for mediocrity which is what he inherited when he took over Mens Freestyle & national development.

my predicition: look out college world, theres gonna be another Big Dog eating at the trough.

► Add to the Discussion