Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Trouble in Minnesota
Mike Vash added to this discussion on May 29, 2016

I see this situation ending much like the Tressel era at Ohio State. You have a coach with long term success whose athletes put them in a bad situation and they end up trying to fix it and try to go into damage control mode instead of following procedures. It is truly a shame but I don't see how Jrob survives this situation.I also think Minnesota wrestling will be hit hard with severe penalties and the next coach will have a rough road ahead.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on May 29, 2016

While I see the analogy, the Ohio State athletes did nothing illegal. The Minnesota wrestlers committed felonies. Much, much worse to me.

Dan Harris added to this discussion on May 31, 2016

Maybe the rush to judgement of Coach Robinson is premature.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/16401

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 31, 2016

Tressel didn't get in trouble because of "what" his players did, rather his actions in their wake.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on June 1, 2016

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Tressel didn't get in trouble because of "what" his players did, rather his actions in their wake."

If the InterMat article is correct then the real difference between Tress and JRob is that JRob reported his suspicions and asked for follow through. IMO if Tress had done the same he probably would still be our coach.
Thanks Dan for sharing that link. Much more boring for media to to go after institutional incompetence. Much better story if you can bring down storied coach so don't let facts get in the way. What passes for reporting today baffles me.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 1, 2016

Is there any proof that J Rob knew for sure about the dealing? If the only thing he knows for sure is that some of his wrestlers were taking Xanax without prescriptions, I don't think his actions were necessarily out of line.

Furthermore, does anyone have any real proof that wrestlers were dealing drugs, and not just popping pills together to party? Other than the word of one informant.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on June 12, 2016

read JRob response, via attorney, it appears the sequence of events, was not as originally reported. it appears he notified the university when he suspected that there might be kids using, also notified them of the specific drug that should be tested. They were not tested for this drug, nor have we heard anything about if any athlete was let go from the program,

Testing what is being used, oxi, xanax, and ped's are not being tested, we are not serious about drug use, distributing or solving this issue. Its as if we all know what is going on, how easy it is to get and how hard it is to beat, if you can beat it at all.

It can't be a cost issue, you have facilities on every major university campus doing high level drug studies.

These drugs are everywhere being delivered by fed x usps, and ups and it seems we are powerless. there is no school immune or income level above this issue.

Its getting worse, and JRob is in the middle of this, I hope he gets the program through this.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on June 30, 2016

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/06/30/u-wrestling-drug-investigation

J Rob in the clear, it appears...

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on September 7, 2016

J Robinson was fired.

http://m.startribune.com/j-robinson-fired-by-university-of-minnesota-after-30-years-as-wrestling-coach/392637101/#1

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2