Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: tOSU no longer recruiting Ohioans?
Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on May 7, 2016

I looked at the list of class of 2016 commits on InterMat. Every Ohio State recruit is from another state.

Is this a new strategy from Tom Ryan, or just a freak occurrence? Is it something to be concerned about?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Strope added to this discussion on May 7, 2016

He has to recruit the best kids without regard to state boundaries. Unfortunately the best kids aren't always from Ohio.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 7, 2016

And it's not like he's not also still trying to nab the cream of the crop from home. The Marinelli deal stings a little in that regard but it's not indicative of a change in game plan. At least we don't have enough evidence of that yet to be able to say that. There are some big guns that are homegrown talent on the radar in the classes ahead.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 8, 2016

ohioans are front & center on ohio states future "must list": Romero, Carr, Decatur, Jordan.

ohio st very much wanted and for a while thought they had Marinelli.

ohio talent level very high, the last 2 years the 2nd most NCAA AAs 10 & 11, so talent not issue, ohio st wants the best ohio kids ......issue is "need", "fit" & "money".

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 9, 2016

I guess this leads to another question then. If OSU pulled in three high level out of state recruits what preferred walk-ons did they pull? I thought I had heard that the Grandview state runner up at 138 was walking on. I'm sure there are others. Those are the types of kids that help build lots of depth. Snyder's brother I believe is a preferred walk on, as well as another kid from Florida. Still...only one Ohio guy even out of that group. Am I missing anyone else?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on May 9, 2016

We all know that fit, need and money plays a big role in recruiting and with so many programs and opportunities for wrestlers, it's not surprising that keeping in-state talent can be a challenge.

As successful as tOSU has been over the years, tOSU doesn't have the history like IA & OSU. Majority of the time, those 2 schools get the best in-state talent because of their tradition.

Get the best wrestler regardless of location or name, that'll win you a NCAA Championship.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on May 9, 2016

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Those are the types of kids that help build lots of depth. Snyder's brother I believe is a preferred walk on, as well as another kid from Florida. Still...only one Ohio guy even out of that group. Am I missing anyone else?"

They're also adding Fritz Schierl, a middleweight from Wisconsin. Tom Ryan has stated in the past that he's always looking for guys that are the right fit for the program, including the must-have guys around the country (Spencer Lee, Mark Hall, etc) as well as the Ohio guys that are great fits. Ohio didn't really have much in the way of great fits in the latest class aside from Marinelli, who would have improved any program he chose.

The Ivy League took a number of top Ohio recruits, as did Eastern Michigan, but Ohio State should be in the running for some of the best guys from the state in the next few years.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 9, 2016

Iowa has some homegrown talent but oklahoma in recent years very little, one AA and only 5 or 6 NCAA quals this year, so ohio situation is different indeed ....bottom line kids & their parents want some $ or at least chance to start at ohio st, that dictates where alot of good kids go.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Iowa has some homegrown talent but oklahoma in recent years very little, one AA and only 5 or 6 NCAA quals this year, so ohio situation is different indeed ....bottom line kids & their parents want some $ or at least chance to start at ohio st, that dictates where alot of good kids go."

I disagree with your assessment on OSU talent. Yes, they had one AA but 2 potential AAs (Brock & Crutchmer) were injured. My comment had more to do with OSU keeping their best wrestlers in state. They have in state talent on the roster that would start for other D1 programs.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on May 9, 2016

"Iowa has some homegrown talent but oklahoma in recent years very little, one AA and only 5 or 6 NCAA quals this year, so ohio situation is different indeed ....bottom line kids & their parents want some $ or at least chance to start at ohio st, that dictates where alot of good kids go."

You keep citing number of AAs but that is more of measure of past recruiting classes. How many present or future NCAA AAs from the Ohio classes of 2014 or 2015? Recent senior classes haven't been up to par on the national level so you have to go where the talent is at when you need it. Ohio talent is usually very good but like everything else it is cyclical.

i don't understand Dan? i merely said ohio st has targeted the best ohio kids that meet their needs & $$ available, then i named 4 or 5 future "must haves". What do u take exception to that i said?

we don't know how 2014 & 15 classes will work out, i can only quote the known numbers of quals & AAs for NCAA 2016. Ohio 31 quals this year, 10 AAs. Sure it might be less in future? FIVE classes go into 1 years NCAA results so it evens out.

re HOMEGROWN, i looked it up. Jason Bryant previously provided me with stats. ... Iowa homegrown 11 quals and excellent 6 AAS this year, thats alot of AAs for 11 quals. They all don't go to U of Iowa, though 4 quals who each made AA were Hawkeyes. 7 quals and 2 AAs went elsewhere.

ive followed OKla for a long time, AWN being HQed there, editor Ron Good resides there. Oklahoma much BETTER than usual this year esp considering inj Crutchmer & Brock, but Okla as a state hasnt been strong in many years. ...The last NCAA title team John Smith had, 2006 had ONE homegrown starter, Johny Hendricks.

This year OKla homegrown 2016, 5 quals, 2 AAs:
149 Jeffries OKla
133 Harding Ok St
184 Boyd OK St made AA
141 Manley Missouri
157 Joe Smith OK St made AA
174 Chandler Rogers grad high school in Washington so he not really homegrown. i think his family has moved to Stillwater.

Jordan graduated from Stillwater, OK HS and Jordan from Spokane, WA HS (Mead).

Bob, since you have the numbers, can you tell me the Ohio qualifiers and AAs?

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Jordan graduated from Stillwater, OK HS and Jordan from Spokane, WA HS (Mead)."

ok i stand corrected then re Chandler, i knew family was from Washington prior to moving to Stillwater-- (as Rosholt family moved from Idaho to Stillwater when their oldest recruited at Ok St.)

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Jordan graduated from Stillwater, OK HS and Jordan from Spokane, WA HS (Mead)."

ok i stand corrected then re Chandler, i knew family was from Washington prior to moving to Stillwater-- (as Rosholt family moved from Idaho to Stillwater when their oldest recruited at Ok St.)"

How many tOSU wrestlers went the same route as the Rogers and Chandler family in order for their sons to wrestle for OSU? That's some serious commitment to a program.

families sacrifice to move close to son and that is exemplary.

i'm merely defining "homegrown"... oldest Rosholt was grad from high school in Idaho as was oldest Rogers from hs in Washington. Just saying how it was, they werent homegrown Okies.

LOL, though we'd like to, Ohio not claiming Myles Martin or Kyle Snyder as "homegrown", (but might be good idea, i will have to look at legal ramifications, haha)

► Add to the Discussion