Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: start up program
Tony Jameson added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

Hello everyone

Kind of a lag time topic if you will. There are several high schools in my area that do not have wrestling (go figure ha). But these schools happen to be ranked in the country in other sports programs, meaning several talented athletes. My question is what does it take/ how hard is it to start a wrestling program at a school? and also would it be much more difficult to do this at say, a college university?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

If I may piggyback on Tony's topic, what can I as a fan of wrestling do to support local high school programs? Of the things I can do what has the biggest positive impact? I know there are high school coaches and ex-coaches out there, can you help me? thanks

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

Quote from tony jameson's post:

"Hello everyone

Kind of a lag time topic if you will. There are several high schools in my area that do not have wrestling (go figure ha). But these schools happen to be ranked in the country in other sports programs, meaning several talented athletes. My question is what does it take/ how hard is it to start a wrestling program at a school? and also would it be much more difficult to do this at say, a college university?"

I've seen this accomplished in a number of ways. I've seen it begin as a grass roots effort, at the youth level. I've seen it begin at the HS level with the lower levels filling in to build a feeder over time. The bottom line is, if it's going to be successful over time you have to have dedicated people surrounding the program to make sure the wheels of progress are continually turning. It takes a passionate leader with a vested interest and a lifetime love of the "game" to keep it going. Is that what you are looking for, Tony?

If you're looking for a step by step guide to starting a program, I don't know that there is one. There's more than one way to skin a cat and dedication trumps them all.

I was leaning more toward the actual process to declare a school has a team if that makes sence. More legalities, funding, paperwork ect, but I certianly appreciate the determination aspect and running a successful program

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

Tony -- all you need is for the School Board's approval of it as a sponsored sport. That's it.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on May 5, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

. . .and a former tour time state champ to offer to be coach.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

"...but I certianly appreciate the determination aspect and running a successful program"

He'll never say so, but Hiatt knows what the heck he is talking about in regard these types of inquiries if you ever have need.

Excellent responses. Thank you all for your input. I know inevitably, I am going to end up coaching for a school, I guess its the competitor/hard nose in me that I would want to start my own shabang from scratch and Lord knows the atheletes at a few specific schools in my area are missing out on wrestling as a whole, once again thank you

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

"Excellent responses. Thank you all for your input. I know inevitably, I am going to end up coaching for a school, I guess its the competitor/hard nose in me that I would want to start my own shabang from scratch and Lord knows the atheletes at a few specific schools in my area are missing out on wrestling as a whole, once again thank you"

Any interest in "interning" for a year or two as an assistant before branching out as the head cheese somewhere? Could be a good idea to gain insight into what it takes to build and run a successful program from a coaching mentor. Just curious if you had considered that route?

I've thought about it and have actually some experience coaching under the radar, but starting these clubs and having a much more hands on approach has become my passion. I assume I will mentor somewhere legitametly for a couple, depends on the timing and situation I suppose

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 5, 2016

Tony -- to start up a program from scratch, one of the biggest questions you'll get from a school board will be cost. Do the homework ahead of time to have those numbers solidified before talking to them.

I also would never make that type of presentation without talking to as many board members as possible -- as well as making sure that the Superintendent and high school principal is on board as well. Getting backing from football coach would be a huge plus. The more people you can have that would desire to see the program in place at a school, the more likely it'll be that you'll get the necessary approvals.

...then the hard work begins. :)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 5, 2016

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Tony -- to start up a program from scratch, one of the biggest questions you'll get from a school board will be cost. Do the homework ahead of time to have those numbers solidified before talking to them.

I also would never make that type of presentation without talking to as many board members as possible -- as well as making sure that the Superintendent and high school principal is on board as well. Getting backing from football coach would be a huge plus. The more people you can have that would desire to see the program in place at a school, the more likely it'll be that you'll get the necessary approvals.

...then the hard work begins. :)"

Nailed it.

Have an answer to every question they may ask before attempting to set up a meeting. From there, fake it until you make it! ;-)

► Add to the Discussion