Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Foxcatcher - Netflix Documentary
Eric Curitore added to this discussion on May 3, 2016

Documentary came out 4/29. Here's the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZczesrBFRA

I know it's a worthy and heartfelt story within our wrestling community though i'll be honest i'm a little Foxcatcher'ed out. The movie was meh. Wasn't all that accurate (which I understand movies tend to do sometimes) & i don't think it was very positive for our sport.

I enjoyed the 30 for 30 as well as this Netflix piece. The Netflix film went into more depth about the entire farm and ALL the wrestlers staying there. The Valentin Jordanov storyline with Dave was pretty cool.

I imagine only the real wrestling junkies will watch all 3, so perhaps the casual person will catch one and gravitate towards wanting to learn more from there.

I 100% agree that our sport needs more media attention - don't take it that way. Though I'm ready for some more story lines or documentaries right about now which is why I love Flo - their documentaries are fantastic. I'm super pumped for episode 3 of the NC State series tomorrow.

Anyone else catch the Netflix piece?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 3, 2016

I liked this one much better than the "Prince of Pennsylvania". Much more from Nancy's perspective as well as her kids. It sounded like they had a falling out with the Bulgarian wrestler whom. Did you happen to catch at the end he was named the sole heir to Du Pont's estate? Kind of sketchy.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on May 3, 2016

I did watch the movie and I did enjoy it. I was amazed that wrestler ended up as Dupont's heir. It was interesting seeing Reece's dad in the movie.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on May 3, 2016

Here's another good listen - http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/short-time/nancy-schultz-talks-about-development-and-delivery-of-team-foxcatcher-documentary-st257/

Nancy Schultz (former wife of Dave) joins Jason Bryant for some good info regarding the project.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

I'm showing the documentary to my wrestlers tonight; looking forward to it. In my opinion Mark Schultz's book "Foxcatcher" was the best. Luckily I read the book before watching the movie. The book was entertaining, interesting, and obviously more accurate. The movie was "based on" that book, but the movie was awful. Besides being inaccurate, the dialogue was slow, and all of the good parts were the ones already shown in the trailer. It left out several pieces of important information and was so boring that I almost wanted to leave the theater, so I can only imagine how a non-wrestler must have felt during the movie.

I thought the 30 for 30 documentary "The Prince of Pennsylvania" was good, and I'm looking forward to "Team Foxcatcher."

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on May 4, 2016

I saw the Netflix documentary, thought it was disturbing, of course, but pretty well-done. Certainly caught and kept my attn.
Interestingly, and although I may have missed it, I'm not sure that Mark Schultz's name was even mentioned (I've read/heard that Mark had not lived at Foxcatcher during the six-plus years before Dave's murder).
I have not seen the movie, and saw only portions of the 30-30.
My sense from speaking with others was that the movie implied that there was a sexual relationship between duPont and at least certain of the resident-wrestlers, including Mark, which I've read Mark denies.
To my recall the Netflix documentary did not go there/explore this.
It is interesting that duPont purportedly left 80% of his vast ($200-plus million) estate to the Bulgarian wrestler.
I've read that distant family members of duPont attempted to challenge this, on grounds of undue influence/lack of testamentary capacity, etc., but their claims were dismissed for lack of standing, since duPont had not named these family members in earlier wills, either.
In any event, what a horrible/sickening story.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on May 5, 2016

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"I saw the Netflix documentary, thought it was disturbing, of course, but pretty well-done. Certainly caught and kept my attn.
Interestingly, and although I may have missed it, I'm not sure that Mark Schultz's name was even mentioned (I've read/heard that Mark had not lived at Foxcatcher during the six-plus years before Dave's murder).
I have not seen the movie, and saw only portions of the 30-30.
My sense from speaking with others was that the movie implied that there was a sexual relationship between duPont and at least certain of the resident-wrestlers, including Mark, which I've read Mark denies.
To my recall the Netflix documentary did not go there/explore this.
It is interesting that duPont purportedly left 80% of his vast ($200-plus million) estate to the Bulgarian wrestler.
I've read that distant family members of duPont attempted to challenge this, on grounds of undue influence/lack of testamentary capacity, etc., but their claims were dismissed for lack of standing, since duPont had not named these family members in earlier wills, either.
In any event, what a horrible/sickening story."

I agree with everything you're saying Casey. The behavior of John du Pont was very disturbing, and this is even more apparent and described in greater detail in Mark Schultz's book. Such a shame that we had to lose such an incredible wrestler and person as Dave Schultz; as one person pointed out, if Dave were still alive he'd probably be the US Olympic Coach right now - think about how much he could've impacted our sport.

What's also unfortunate is how, as described in Kurt Angle's autobiography, everyone on the team saw it coming, but no one did anything about it. The allure of being able to train full time and not have to worry about living expenses was so much that everyone put up with du Pont's crap. The word manipulative doesn't even begin to describe Du Pont.

And yes, Mark wasn't in Nancy's documentary because he didn't live at Foxcatcher while Dave and Nancy were there. Mark left Foxcatcher shortly after the 1988 Olympics, if I remember correctly.

Bottom line, don't bother seeing the movie, watch any portions of the 30 for 30 documentary that you missed, and read the book if you haven't already.

The hardcover books goes for about $18 on Amazon, but I have a copy of the book, so if anyone close to Akron wants to borrow it, send me a PM!

► Add to the Discussion